General / Off-Topic The safest place

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Three of my colleagues are off with covid now, two confirmed one awaiting tests. Another just came back after spending a few weeks in ICU. Still at least one anti-vaxxer popped up when we were offered flu-jabs last week. It's just bonkers.
I read that seasonal flu vaccines are effective between 20% and 60% maximum.

Closer to 20%.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

Under exceptional circumstances your seatbelt can cut you in half or trap you in a burning car, that doesn't mean they are a bad idea or that anyone other than an utter buffoon would ignore them.

Maybe we need them in the hearses too.

I agree, but 20% ... 🙄

🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠😷

I had a look for the 20% rate and it isn't listed on any fact checkers which means it's not widely reported, it did appear as a story in the Daily Mail and the Daily Express though two of the least reliable and most bonkers far-right newspapers in the UK.

One the other hand I got this from the NHS :

Pooling the results of these studies showed that TIV was effective at preventing seasonal flu in 59% of adults aged 18-65 years while LAIV was effective in 83% of children aged six months to seven years. Information on other age groups was not available.

It is a well-documented fact that the vaccine is not completely effective and many studies have looked into this before now finding different levels of effectiveness. The difference with this study is that it reviewed the body of research to date and carried out an overarching analysis of the findings from these studies.

I do hope that my medical universities never notice me.
Especially like this.

That would be an unbearable loss of face. You would have to close up shop, and never make an appearance in public again. Frankly, Atlas should consider that.

I had a look for the 20% rate and it isn't listed on any fact checkers which means it's not widely reported, it did appear as a story in the Daily Mail and the Daily Express though two of the least reliable and most bonkers far-right newspapers in the UK.

One the other hand I got this from the NHS :

Yes, but 59% is just over half. :)

In France there is a shortage of flu vaccine.

The copies available are reserved for caregivers and elderly people.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

Last edited:
If you don't think it's a good idea to be vaccinated you can just not get vaccinated. I'd check your sources before making your mind up though, that 20% stuff seems to be Qanon level horse apples from the dumber end of the press.

Maybe the number relates to "effectiveness" instead of efficacy?

I'm not knowledgeable about the year by year variability of the numbers for this vaccine family. Some years are going to be worse than others based on the guessing of future H/N combinations. But it also seems to have a favorable impact on heart attacks.

Even if it did ZERO for influenza, blocking the heart attacks is a pretty good reason to use it.

Thank you everyone for your support and prayers as Candy and I battled COVID-19. I was extremely sick and initially took Oleander 4X with dramatic improvement. However, I have several co-morbidities and after a brief period when I only experienced minor discomfort, the symptoms accelerated and I became desperately ill.
-Dr Ben Carson.

Uh-huh.

I won't be taking that. But by all means, do continue to sell it to the appropriate cohort.

If you are stupid enough to buy it, you should take it. Also, why didn't you inject disinfectant ?

Last edited:
I won't be taking that. But by all means, do continue to sell it to the appropriate cohort.

Carson is, by most accounts, an extremely skilled neurosurgeon, but outside of his laser focus, he doesn't behave like a scientist.

This is the same guy who thought the Great Pyramids were granaries, presumably because he takes ancient European interpretations of scripture more seriously than he takes actual facts. I'm not the least bit surprised that he's also a homeopathy quack.

If you don't think it's a good idea to be vaccinated you can just not get vaccinated. I'd check your sources before making your mind up though, that 20% stuff seems to be Qanon level horse apples from the dumber end of the press.
Well even if I wanted to get vaccinated, I could not do, as I said in my post below.

In France there is a shortage of flu vaccine.

The copies available are reserved for caregivers and elderly people.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

-Dr Ben Carson.

Uh-huh.

If you are stupid enough to buy it, you should take it. Also, why didn't you inject disinfectant ?

Why is this looking so similar with the "cure" advertised by Jude Law's character from Contagion movie?

Why is this looking so similar with the "cure" advertised by Jude Law's character from Contagion movie?

It is MUCH worse. It was soundly rejected by the FDA.

All parts of N. oleander contain very toxic cardiac glycosides (oleandrin, digitoxigenin, neriin, folinerin, and rosagenin) that apparently exert a digitoxin-like effect (cardiotoxic potential) (Langford and Boor, 1996). Toxins may also be inhaled in smoke when plants are burned. Human poisoning occasionally occurs from eating hot dogs roasted on sticks from nearby oleander plants. This extremely toxic plant can poison livestock and humans at any time of the year. The lethal dose in horses, donkeys, and calves is 30–50 mg/kg BW (Oryan et al., 1996).

Originally it was marketed by Mike Lindell, the My Pillow guy, former alcoholic and cocaine addict, with an F rating from the Better Business Bureau, and proud holder of a "degree" from Liberty "University" run by disgraced Jerry Falwell jr.

He's using the proceeds in part to bail out white supremacist murderers, but hey, birds of a feather.

Must say I have some ambivalence about the scheme/s to defraud and poison the cohort they market to. I've reached an inflection point, where maybe it's OK for them to be masters of their chosen destinies, dying in denial and sending money to conmen.

Lemmings gotta splat. Had Carson taken a bigger dose, we'd be rid of some Extra Strength stupid in the world.

There is a saying: "Like father, like son"

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷
It's OK. Anyone with a military helivac to a private hospital, a team of 5 doctors and immediate access to all experimental treatments for covid can safely say you have nothing fear.
Under exceptional circumstances your seatbelt can cut you in half or trap you in a burning car, that doesn't mean they are a bad idea or that anyone other than an utter buffoon would ignore them.
Saw a terrifying video of 2 american kids rolling down a hill in a truck. They were tumbling inside the cab like clothes in a washer, at various points you could see their limbs and heads poking out of the windows and sunroof and it was just pure chance that the truck didn't roll on their limbs or decapitate them. One was finally tossed out of the cab. But yeah, don't wear seatbelts, they're dangerous!

It's OK. Anyone with a military helivac to a private hospital, a team of 5 doctors and immediate access to all experimental treatments for covid can safely say you have nothing fear.

Saw a terrifying video of 2 american kids rolling down a hill in a truck. They were tumbling inside the cab like clothes in a washer, at various points you could see their limbs and heads poking out of the windows and sunroof and it was just pure chance that the truck didn't roll on their limbs or decapitate them. One was finally tossed out of the cab. But yeah, don't wear seatbelts, they're dangerous!
Until they invented, fuel tanks that didn't break, most racing drivers, like Moss, Stuart and Hill, preferred not to wear a seat belt, when racing. They chose to be thrown from the car, than to be stuck inside it.

At the same time, a 1950s most cars' dashboard, would cut you in half, due to a head on over 50mph, seat belt or no seat belt.

Hi - just wanted to wish everyone well outside of Australia.
Cannot imagine what the rest of the world is dealing with, but news of the Virus sounds horrific; my heart goes out to all of you who are being affected or have loved ones who are affected.

Here on the Sunshine Coast in Australia - there is literally no cases and absolutely no masks or social distancing. Here, you would not even know there was a Virus ravaging the world, except for occasional shops having sanitiser stations and old tape marks on the floors where we lined up the months previous.
I cannot imagine what the world is going through - but I only want to say I wish you all well and that people in Australia are thinking of you. 😍

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom