General / Off-Topic The safest place

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
i have absolutely no doubt that vaccines are the way to go with this.
however, i have reasonable suspicions about the due process for these specific vaccines.
further, i have very little trust in my administration (particularly) handing and administering them in a safe and efficient manner, specially not in rushed campaigns.
and to nobody's surprise they're already screwing up as usual and aren't even done shooting the high risk groups, so it will take quite a while until they get to me

which works for me, have no hurry whatsoever.

one rule i have always followed in a lot of different contexts and has never failed me is this: never go with the crowd, even if it means getting late.

Herd mentality at the start nobody wants to be first, then it switches to nobody wants to be last because those are the dangerous positions. Hopefully if it pans out that way we'll actually be able to achieve herd immunity via vaccination.
It is desirable, but it is necessary that the production of vaccines is at the level, and that the variants of the Covid do not change the problem.

It seems that the South African variant is more resistant to current vaccines and also more toxic than the English variant, from what I have read.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

After the United Kingdom and South Africa, it is Japan's turn to seek to isolate a new variant of the coronavirus, recently detected in four people who arrived in the archipelago from Brazil, in order to be able to analyze it more, local authorities said on Tuesday.

This variant of SARS-CoV-2 results from an evolution of “a viral line from Brazil, which circulates in the Amazon”, provisionally called “B.1.1.28”, affirmed the Brazilian researcher Felipe Naveca, who collaborates with the 'Fiocruz institute.

Can we say here that there is the possibility of "cause and effect" ? Is the Amazon reacting to the countless destruction caused by humans ?

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

Either that or places with lots of cases are more likely to develop new strains. Look to the USA next...
6 months ago....
"Step right up Ladies and Germs! Lets roll that mutation dice as often as possible! Will we get a milder strain? Will it become more lethal? Nobody's gonna know until we get as many people playing as possible! So, come one, come all, bring your family...."

A personal post - for a change.

My father (UK, 90 years old) got his first injection today. I'm pleased about that!
Good to here. Does he have a date for phase 2 yet?

I ask because: My neighbour who is from the same decade, can't get a date, for his 2nd jab yet.

It’s going to get worse unfortunately. Infection rates look they might have started dropping today but there is normally a two week lag between the two things. We will probably see more than 2000 deaths per day before the death rate figures starts going down ☹
2000, this is almost half of the US in 24 Hours (4500).

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠

Again, it's getting drowned out by other events, but US data has over 3800 dead today, and a grim total mounting easily to cross 400,000 dead by the end of this week. At 220,000 per day new cases, we are not going to see this decline anytime soon. Here's the data:
total cases-todays cases- total deaths-todays deaths
23,600,451+220,400393,631+3,801

The thing we should be doing is trying to stop this from worsening.

Having hundreds of troops camping within the Capitol is a nightmare situation for them, regarding the infection. Somehow, it's doubtful they are thinking of that a whole lot. What happens if the National Guard gets taken out of service by an epidemic of contagious illness this next few days?

3 Members of Congress are positive so far.

There still isn't any coordinated effort to sequence variants within the country, and zero interest in trying to suppress a 501 mutant outbreak.
This is a gigantic oversight, and it is multiple orders of magnitude bigger as a threat to life than anything else. There's no press coverage, no indication that leadership even acknowledges the issue. No plan.

Distractions couldn't be worse timed.

Update:
By midnight: US data.
More than 4,400 people across the country were reported dead from the virus on Tuesday, according to Johns Hopkins University’s count. The previous record for daily deaths was hit only last week, when over 4,100 people died in one day.

Last edited:
Again, it's getting drowned out by other events, but US data has over 3800 dead today, and a grim total mounting easily to cross 400,000 dead by the end of this week. At 220,000 per day new cases, we are not going to see this decline anytime soon. Here's the data:
total cases-todays cases- total deaths-todays deaths
23,600,451+220,400393,631+3,801

The thing we should be doing is trying to stop this from worsening.

Having hundreds of troops camping within the Capitol is a nightmare situation for them, regarding the infection. Somehow, it's doubtful they are thinking of that a whole lot. What happens if the National Guard gets taken out of service by an epidemic of contagious illness this next few days?

3 Members of Congress are positive so far.

There still isn't any coordinated effort to sequence variants within the country, and zero interest in trying to suppress a 501 mutant outbreak.
This is a gigantic oversight, and it is multiple orders of magnitude bigger as a threat to life than anything else. There's no press coverage, no indication that leadership even acknowledges the issue. No plan.

Distractions couldn't be worse timed.
Situation Normal. :(

BBC has a positive story about the effect of this crisis on consumer patterns:

Reports have also shown that sales of vegan food soared during last year's lockdowns. In the US, trade group Plant Based Food Association said that during last year's first lockdowns sales of vegan products rose by 90%. Meanwhile, UK food website The Vegan Kind, said its sales tripled last year.

Would you say there's a difference in our own households?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom