General / Off-Topic The safest place

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Ouch, get better soon.
Horse pills, and cough syrup. The antibiotics have got to work sometime.

Meantime it's chicken noodle soup.

I discovered that yet another of our group had been out, with similar symptomology. He just didn't talk about it.

I think we've all lost at least 1 out of our Constitution. One wonders if there is a general loss of respiratory function for the population as a whole, due to the pandemic.

Or, it could just be the consequences of being a collection of old gaming geezers. :(

0GJfO8K.jpg

Looking for patterns that give a warning.

Well, covoid used to be news over here but not any more.
There has been very little reporting of it in the last week. No info so no data.
It's like it never happened.
I guess we just have to believe.
On the plus side, numbers had dropped but hospitals and care homes were still high.
Bigger things to worry about, and they do try to make you worry about these things.
Nothing ever changes.

Well, covoid used to be news over here but not any more.
There has been very little reporting of it in the last week. No info so no data.
It's like it never happened.
I guess we just have to believe.
On the plus side, numbers had dropped but hospitals and care homes were still high.
Bigger things to worry about, and they do try to make you worry about these things.
Nothing ever changes.
It's the backlog hitting us now. Missed ops, undiagnosed stuff and a background of covid. Standing room only.

Had an "interesting" experience at the Wal Mart pharmacy today.

I was just picking up my prescriptions, the pharmacy clerk was about to bag my stuff up, when another customer came up beside me, and loudly demanded the clerk's attention.
In her hand was a very soiled pair of childrens shoes she had found somewhere. The nature of the complaint was some thing about keeping a cleaner store.

The clerk, confronted with a vocal, angry person in the middle of completing a transaction, got a bag for the insistent person to throw the shoes into. He didn't call for his manager. The insistent one left after dumping the shoes in the bag.

He started to bag my purchases without sanitizing his hands.

I controlled my OCD, paid, and left. No use challenging the clerk further. It's Wal Mart.

Questions:

Should a pharmacy be taking in trash, while supposedly being a clean sterile place that customers rely on?

Do you interrupt finishing with your current customer, due to a quite loud and distracting person, without calling for your manager?

Did I just get punked by a "Karen"?

There's increasing chatter about South Africa as a barometer of the storms. You can see for yourself why. Or Scroll up and see that graph :) I posted last.
Every 6 months like a metronome there's a recorded outbreak based on a new mutation, either homegrown there or imported, eg from India with the Delta wave. Of course, we know it's beginning another spike and that's bad for everybody.

The guy who did the work on Omicron discovery is Alex Sigal from South Africa.
Here's his latest work-
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.04.29.22274477v1

Key points-
Two new sub-lineages, BA.4 and BA.5, are now emerging in South Africa with changes relative to BA.1,

The observed escape of BA.4 and BA.5 from BA.1 elicited immunity is more moderate than of BA.1 against previous immunity1,3. However, the low absolute neutralization levels for BA.4 and BA.5, particularly in the unvaccinated group, are unlikely to protect well against symptomatic infection4.This may indicate that, based on neutralization escape, BA.4 and BA.5 have potential to result in a new infection wave.

There's 2 major obvious things in play that cause the periodicity of 6 month surges: waning immunity to the last outbreak, and viral antigenic drift as variants emerge that have increased evolutionary adaptation to human hosts. We shouldn't be amazed that vaccine efficacy fades in 6 months if actual viral immunity does the same. World Health Organization "uses an eight-fold drop in neutralization as the threshold for the loss of protection that requires an update to seasonal influenza vaccines", and there's a 7 fold drop in protection from BA1 antibodies for infections with BA.4 or 5.

I was hoping that Omicron would just infect everybody( yay, it practically has, with very low deaths) and then everybody would be mostly immune ( pfttht) And that's true- but only for the first version. It's not working as a "contagious vaccine" anymore.
Essentially, the new subvariants are almost completely imunnologically able to escape the parent's immune response and primarily pose a threat to unvaccinated people who caught original flavour Omicron, survived Ok, and now figure that they are immune.

In some good news-
There's a family of diabetes medicines that seem to have pretty good protective effects vs getting badly sick with Covid. Here's a partial list-
Victoza
Trulicity
Ozempic
Bydureon

Ideally, you would want to be using these for a few months before getting the virus, to see the benefit. Death rate is roughly halved. Unlike Paxlovid, this stuff is 5-6 years old and fully FDA approved- for a different disease. Nobody has tried using these medicines to specifically treat Covid yet, nor do we know why it works. All data is retrospective. We don't have enough to actually change what we're doing now, but if things pan out, it could be a useful additional tool. Without more data, it's unjustifiable to go switching treatments as of now - there might be other reasons this has turned up

eg- New expensive medicines get used in rich people with good healthcare plans, exactly the people that die less.

Had an "interesting" experience at the Wal Mart pharmacy today.

I was just picking up my prescriptions, the pharmacy clerk was about to bag my stuff up, when another customer came up beside me, and loudly demanded the clerk's attention.
In her hand was a very soiled pair of childrens shoes she had found somewhere. The nature of the complaint was some thing about keeping a cleaner store.

The clerk, confronted with a vocal, angry person in the middle of completing a transaction, got a bag for the insistent person to throw the shoes into. He didn't call for his manager. The insistent one left after dumping the shoes in the bag.

He started to bag my purchases without sanitizing his hands.

I controlled my OCD, paid, and left. No use challenging the clerk further. It's Wal Mart.

Questions:

Should a pharmacy be taking in trash, while supposedly being a clean sterile place that customers rely on?

Do you interrupt finishing with your current customer, due to a quite loud and distracting person, without calling for your manager?

Did I just get punked by a "Karen"?
Did the person serving you actually touch the shoes at all, or just handle a (presumably clean) plastic bag?

While I get the instinctive response that a pharmacy should be a clean and sterile place, I don't suppose in reality it should be any more clean than any other part of the store, or rather no reason why it would be good for any other part to be less clean.

I don't get why there would be any need to involve a manager.

I don't expect a Walmart pharmacy to be especially clean, let alone sterile, and a clerk handling already closed containers of medication with a still disgusting, but entirely normal, lack of concern about surface transfer wouldn't particularly bother me. I'd personally only make it an issue if I saw the actual pharmacist or technician handling or administering drugs without following basic aseptic technique. A clerk or cashier shouldn't be handling raw medications or administering any directly.

Did the person serving you actually touch the shoes at all, or just handle a (presumably clean) plastic bag?

While I get the instinctive response that a pharmacy should be a clean and sterile place, I don't suppose in reality it should be any more clean than any other part of the store, or rather no reason why it would be good for any other part to be less clean.

I don't get why there would be any need to involve a manager.
You haven't worked in retail?

Vwm4fd8.jpg

Maybe this thing is going to be like Beta, and stay in South Africa? 🤞We all saw how Omicron did just that right?

Not seeing any immediate alarm:
Washington (CNN)The Biden administration is issuing a new warning that the US could potentially see 100 million Covid-19 infections this fall and winter, as officials publicly stress the need for more funding from Congress to prepare the nation.

:unsure:
Not sure how to interpret that. It might be a negotiating position to secure funds. It might be a defensive position to backstop a potential disaster as the infection rates go up then, and we cannot predict what variants we'll have. It doesn't seem to match any of the existing modelling I've seen. Presumably, the health planners at the level of the US White House would be using the best available long range projections. Europe and UK plans don't seem this pessimistic. Nobody is thinking that the South African numbers are immediately going to pose risk.

BA.4 and BA.5 were listed at over 1000 UK cases, but that has been corrected down. It does not seem like these variants are actually getting traction there. Global rates continue to decline. It might just be a localized problem, like Beta again in SA.

But let's assume that the long term Winter warning is correct for a minute. What should individuals (who can adapt, are not burned out, and still have resources) do? There's a few months we have to prepare for this projected rise. Locally, our infection rates follow outbreaks on the American continent, similar to UK's tracking of Europe.

It's estimated that 40% or so of the US Covid deaths were in diabetic people.
Our diabetes rates are even higher than the USA. Also, our Covid death rate is higher - but given poor testing, that might be a statistical artefact of just undercounting cases.

Nontheless-
I'm losing weight and reducing heavy exercise to something more sustainable, looking for a lighter leaner build with better insulin sensivity.

Cell ( tech paper linked) printed a recent review of a dietary intervention called the Longevity Diet, which you can read about ( brief simple summary) if interested. This is in line with known previously reported data -
- which shows a 73% reduction in severe Covid disease in people eating plant based. The biochemistry of lowering diabetic state seems to be a pretty curative factor vs Covid, so the logical extrapolation is that plant based approaches can reverse diabetes severity. That is of course not in question.

Useful data-
those following a high animal protein, high fat-- Atkins, paleo, Keto-type diets-- were 400% more likely to get moderate to severe COVID
Those approaches stabilize blood sugars ( no carb intake) but the fat really totals insulin sensivity, worsening the biochemical basis of diabetes
being obese, for example, can raise your risk of mortality by 300%
Predictably, high blood fats also mess up insulin sensivity even if you are not eating fat. Blood doesn't know or care where it comes from.

3X and 4X are pretty big, but remember simply being unvaccinated has something like 9X worse outcomes, and it's a lot easier than eating broccoli and running staircases daily.

Nope. Not sure which bit of what I said that pertains to, but I presume the "manager" question? It just seems to me you would only need to call a manager when there's a problem you can't resolve.
Old maxim: Interrupt the first customers transaction to serve an angry customer, and you will have two angry customers instead of one.

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — North Korea announced its first coronavirus infection more than two years into the pandemic Thursday as leader Kim Jong Un called for raising COVID-19 preventive measures to maximum levels.

Wonder what is going on, for real, over there. Why the change in messaging now?
NoKo has crossborder peddler trade with mainland China, which is now losing control of BA.2. Nobody knows what their vaccination status might be, WaPo reported last month that they have zero coverage.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/04/24/north-korea-covid-vaccines-covax/

Our knowledge of the Omicron variants is limited to populations that are either previously infected widely or are widely vaccinated, or both. No idea how pathogenic it may be vs that unique population.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom