General / Off-Topic The safest place

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Some more data coming to quantify cognitive impact of the disease:
The cognitive deficits in COVID-19 survivors were of a similar magnitude to the decline in cognitive function that normally occurs in individuals between the ages of 50 to 70 years.

Fortunately, the brain effects are dependent on severity of infection, so if you got just a mild bout, not to worry. But go to ICU, and you evidently could lose cognition equal to 20 years of ageing. That's 10 IQ points.

Kansas has passed a law: Specifically for Ivermectin and Hydroxychloroquine.
Kansas senators early Thursday morning narrowly passed a bill that would force pharmacists to fill unproven off-label prescriptions for drugs intended to treat or prevent COVID-19.

We must be already seeing the cognitive deficits at play. :)
If people vote wrong, they get to die nowadays. Same crap going on here, with Medical Practitioners selling "Ivermectin drips" etc to the gullible. There's no regulation evident, they just do whatever they want, which is whatever sells well. Like injecting each limb with saline when a stroke comes in, charge by the cc and buy lots of 20- cc syringes. A good portion of the public isn't even getting the Ivermectin, it costs a bit more than plain saline bags and some tape that has Ivermectin written on it in Sharpie.

North Korea-
But in an update on Friday, the official KCNA news agency reported that the outbreak extended beyond the capital. "A fever whose cause couldn't be identified spread explosively nationwide from late April," it said.

Around 350,000 people had shown signs of that fever, it added, without specifying how many had tested positive for Covid.
Yep, it's a mystery fever affecting 350,000 people during a global pandemic. No telling what it might be.

Comparing the 2 situations-
It's clearly possible to get away with lies and nonsense ONLY when the truth isn't blatantly obvious to the target audience. When hundreds of thousands are all sick at once, even an environment like NOKO cannot cover it up. But Kansas/Trinidadian doctors can do this 3 years into the pandemic because their semi literate target audience can't parse reality at all. If most people get better, the fake medicine is going to "succeed" by appearance most of the time, though it does not actually work.

You'd think a global pandemic is the one time people would stop their positioning and try to actually fix the problem, but nah, not happening.
North Korea rejected offers from the international community to supply millions of AstraZeneca and Chinese-made jabs last year. Instead, it claimed it had controlled Covid by sealing its borders early in January 2020.
3 doses of Sinopharm is actually comparable/better than mRNA coverage. Too bad they didn't use it.

Last edited:
Two friends of mine went on a week long cruise yesterday. Right after recovering from bronchitis.

Maybe I'm lucky I can't afford a cruise?
I picked up cheap flights to Portugal for a week away, wine tasting mostly :) interesting to see attitude differences - public transport still has compulsory mask wearing there, and in general people appeared more considerate for those still wearing masks generally than here uk in brighton at least.
Flight wasn’t too bad - wouldn’t do a cruise anywayz.
My festival bookings are way busy into this year, it feels like some are making up for lost time! I think there’s a lot of socially deprived people absolutely bursting to dance around and hug people!!.. :)
I really don’t know if the public would adhere to a further lockdown if a dangerous variant appears, it’d certainly put the final nail in a lot of the creative/performance industries.

I picked up cheap flights to Portugal for a week away, wine tasting mostly :) interesting to see attitude differences - public transport still has compulsory mask wearing there, and in general people appeared more considerate for those still wearing masks generally than here uk in brighton at least.
Flight wasn’t too bad - wouldn’t do a cruise anywayz.
My festival bookings are way busy into this year, it feels like some are making up for lost time! I think there’s a lot of socially deprived people absolutely bursting to dance around and hug people!!.. :)
I really don’t know if the public would adhere to a further lockdown if a dangerous variant appears, it’d certainly put the final nail in a lot of the creative/performance industries.
They won't put up with another lockdown. They'd rather die.

Local case count is stuck at around 500 new/day. Hospital demand has fallen off to nearly 10% demand at peak though, despite the higher rates, so some Covid only facilities are reverting back to original use. 4th dose mRNA boosters are starting from Friday this week.
But use is limited to the over-60 population, plus the immunocompromised and medical staff.

Last edited:
DIyzq56.jpg

Well, that escalated quickly...

Our local 🇹🇹 laws are sunsetting on July 21st 2022 regarding public health measures.
Current rate of infection is 500 new cases daily, with 3-4 deaths daily. Unclear what will happen after the expiry date.

It may not be politically feasible to sustain precautions, given recent events in Tobago.

Talking to some pathologists across the pond in the UK. They have restarted broader operations and are doing more autopsies as things normalize, but interestingly they are seeing increased cases of brain lesions in unrelated disease: people die of kidney failure or something, but the brain is lesioned too. They're convinced it's from prior Covid infection.

Brains of COVID-19 patients had some of the same pathological changes seen in Alzheimer's disease
- MedPage headline.

Specifically this manifests as increases in phosphorylated tau levels. There's a new drug being tested to block this: ARM210. Safety is not established, nor is the brain barrier penetration known, so most likely this won't work where we need it to, as is usually the case.

But there IS something we can do, and it's real cheap. Elevate glutathione levels by food/supplements, and this will reduce the oxidative load on neurons, preventing the phosphorytation.

You need cysteine and glycine as the precursors for glutathione. Those are just amino acids, normal food components.
Oatmeal is rich in cysteine, and glycine is abundant in gelatin. So I just add a teaspoon of gelatin powder to hot porridge. (the Pudding) Would Jell-O work? Likely so.
You could also use NAC as a supplement. Or look into getting Gly-NAC from Nestle as a drink.
Conclusions: GlyNAC supplementation for 24-weeks in Older Adults was well tolerated and lowered Oxidative Stress, corrected intracellular GSH(glutathione) deficiency and mitochondrial dysfunction, decreased inflammation, insulin-resistance and endothelial dysfunction, and genomic-damage, and improved strength, gait-speed, cognition, and body composition.
^ Proof of the Pudding, human trials.
If it fixes cognition in older adults, that's a pretty good indicator that it will work.

Interventions Testing Program at National Institute of Ageing recently published this:
Glycine – Started at 9 months. Increased lifespan in males and females (Miller et al., 2019).
However that was in mice, and no cysteine was used. The size of the lifespan increase was modest, just about 5% - but at least it was helpful and safe. Glycine also helps in mental illness, in humans, with positive effects persisting even after it is stopped.

NZ is holding steady at 8000 new cases/day, with around 50,000 active cases (or 1% of the total population). Daily deaths are around 10 - 13. Hospitals are feeling the strain...

:D S

Last week was six tubes of blood, and a chest x-ray.

Because of my height, the x-ray had to be taken in two sections for each view.

There is a slight "crackling", by sound, in my lower right lung.

Good news: I don't have Lupus. Still waiting on other lab results.

The neuropathy and diabetes are steady.

I may have a pulmonary issue. A sleep study, and heart sonogram have been ordered. My mom died of a pulmonary fibrosis, complicated by schleroderma.

But, I'm in better shape than Odyssey.

I’ve just been at a pretty covid unsafe place - Glastonbury festival!
…and have tested positive on return.
I feel better already though, and happy that I’ve taken vaccines and this variant is not so pathologic.(?)
I was very interested to see what demographic would turn up this year and it was pretty similar to other years, maybe a few less wrinklies like me!
But all the festivals were pushed to the brink or over during the lockdowns and I’ve noticed that they’ve all increased their methods of squeezing money from the punters - more bars, less expense spent, higher public capacities.
Fair enough, I hope they manage to thrive.
7C67E3F8-3F08-4BEA-BE81-06B771B78DDC.jpeg

and belated happy equinox! Another orbit of our star!

0F7DF631-58AE-4FAD-84E8-8897CA3F521A.jpeg

🇹🇹 Prime Minister:
"...Barring any unforseen surge in any new variant, we should be taking these masks off by the middle of this month which is the next two weeks."
Case count fell to double figures last Sunday. My projection to end of the legally mandated precautions is off by a week or so, so we'll be getting our 2nd boosters as late as possible before that happens. Local death rate is 1-2/day now, expected to drop further as the infections wane. Upgraded future vaccines ought to keep this thing firmly in check.

Glad everybody here made it through, by whatever means we used.
Cheers Cmdrs. O7

Looks like we're going back into it in the UK.
There's not much being done to stop it spreading either.
1 in 20 currently have it and it's the summer here.
Deaths are recorded as low but they did meddle with that somewhat so hard to know. No case numbers either.
We're about a month or so ahead from when it started to build last year and there's a lot of mass gatherings on the horizon which usually spike it.
No-one is taking it seriously here atm.
They will if it mutates badly and they're giving it every chance to.

Oddy must not be doing well. I had a trip to the ER two weeks ago. 16 hours of cable TV torture, interrupted occasionally by medicine. Sitting in a film of my own blood.

Not the staff's fault. They were quite good, but grossly understaffed. I'm told I had a shorter wait than many.

Now, I have surgery scheduled for a week from Monday. Nothing life-threatening, just annoying and painful. Something that rhymes with Vistula is being dealt with. It's certainly flowing like it...

Oddy must not be doing well. I had a trip to the ER two weeks ago. 16 hours of cable TV torture, interrupted occasionally by medicine. Sitting in a film of my own blood.

Not the staff's fault. They were quite good, but grossly understaffed. I'm told I had a shorter wait than many.

Now, I have surgery scheduled for a week from Monday. Nothing life-threatening, just annoying and painful. Something that rhymes with Vistula is being dealt with. It's certainly flowing like it...
Good luck Ralph- hope it goes well for you.
Here in uk - multiple causes - but covid has exacerbated the strain on our nhs health services.
Good luck with any appointments really!
As an example, our dentists are quitting all over the place leaving some pretty dire consequences.

Last edited:
Current mortality data shows a rise in all-cause death rates, globally. That's compared to the pandemic years. Compared to previous non-pandemic years, it's even worse. Causes of deaths include heart attacks, strokes, lung clots, and other things too- like cancers.
This seems linked to multiple infections with Covid-19.

In this work, we show that reinfection adds risk of all-cause mortality and adverse health outcomes in both the acute phase and the post-acute phase of reinfection – suggesting that for people who already infected once, continued vigilance to reduce risk of reinfection may be important to reduce overall risk to one’s health.
Forbes:
A recent preprint concludes that two or more Covid-19 reinfections double the risk for death, blood clots, and lung damage among other negative health outcomes, demonstrating the clear and present danger of reinfection.

Even non-symptomatic infections pose these risks. The leading causes of death have been amplified, everywhere, by the pandemic. The more reinfections, the greater the risks.
Vaccines make no difference. Behavioural modification seems the only viable course, to prevent infection, but with BA5, that is a very tall order. Estimates are that the UK is currently having the MOST infected people than at any previous time.

If you have had multiple infections, check with your doctor for methods to reduce your lifetime risks. Anticoagulation treatment might be useful. It probably won't help much with the Dementia risks, but there's a new study out showing Influenza vaccines reduce Alzheimer's by 40% - which is huge.

Our masks come off in T-2 days. Howlingly stupid.

Well, as long as the deaths can't be directly associated with covoid then it's not covoid, right?
They started working this angle a good while back in the UK.
I've been shouted at a few times now, one guy trying to remove my mask...
They think it's all over... but they just seem to be helping it mutate.
Someone who knows about such things said it mutates every 4 months... so we have less than 2... ?
How lucky are we Irish... ?
That is where it seems we are now.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom