The Scourge - Overview of Phases

They remove CG's and replaced them with this as a way for us to effect change in the story.. but I'm missing how we change the story with our actions here. Would love it for someone to show me how.
While it's always theoretically possible that the CGs fail - and Frontier presumably has some contingency for that outcome just in case - I would expect the more major consequences (and collective player decisions on outcome) to be near the end of the II, not the beginning, just for general principles of dramatic pacing.

With the previous two Interstellar Initiatives, player actions have been more crucial at the end than the beginning ... with the Enclave, arguably player actions continued to be relevant during the epilogue phase.

The relative success levels of the two CGs could of course have some effect on the storyline, especially if they were significantly different ... but I suspect that the main purpose of them at this stage is to get players who haven't been paying attention to the prologue into the Lave region so they're around for future stages.

While it's always theoretically possible that the CGs fail - and Frontier presumably has some contingency for that outcome just in case - I would expect the more major consequences (and collective player decisions on outcome) to be near the end of the II, not the beginning, just for general principles of dramatic pacing.

With the previous two Interstellar Initiatives, player actions have been more crucial at the end than the beginning ... with the Enclave, arguably player actions continued to be relevant during the epilogue phase.

The relative success levels of the two CGs could of course have some effect on the storyline, especially if they were significantly different ... but I suspect that the main purpose of them at this stage is to get players who haven't been paying attention to the prologue into the Lave region so they're around for future stages.
So like.. everyone could starve and die and leave ghost town regions of space with super low populations and terrible economies that everyone just avoids participating in?

Sorry, I feel like I'm still not getting it.

View attachment 147200

* * EMERGENCY TRANSMISSION * *

Greetings Commanders,

The Interstellar Association for Agriculture has declared a state of emergency following severe crop failures across multiple worlds. To prevent food shortages and economic strife for billions of civilians, independent pilots are being asked to bring grain, pesticides and synthetic reagents to two key locations.

This marks the beginning of our third Interstellar Initiative: The Scourge.

Throughout the course of the event, we'll be periodically updating this thread with details and updates as they develop.

PHASE 1 (10 October)

• As detailed above, independent commanders will be required to bring grain, pesticides and synthetic reagents to a region of space on the bring of economic strife, This will come in the form of a trading Community Goal.
  • Community Goal Details:
    • Start Date - 10 October @ 15:00 (UTC)
    • End Date -16 October @ 15:00 (UTC)
    • Pesticides, synthetic reagents and grain to be delivered to Watson Station in the Orerve system, and Shifnalport in the Diso system.
hmmm ... easter eggs again on warcraft? plague destroying crops. name is scourge? Aisling Duval - Jaina Proudmoore? Who is Prince Arthas then? :)

So like.. everyone could starve and die and leave ghost town regions of space with super low populations and terrible economies that everyone just avoids participating in?
Without sneaking a glance at Frontier's notes, about all that can be said is that it's a possibility.

However, I'd expect if it does happen, it'll be because we fail to prevent it in the final stage, not because we mess up the first stage so badly that Frontier say "no, everyone's dead, rest of the II is cancelled".

Generally the stakes and difficulty increase towards the end of a story, after all.

That's not to say that - for example - the difficulty in week 4 won't be greater if these CGs only reach Tier 2 as opposed to if they reach Tier 8. But without the ability to re-play the II and this time try to do better on the early CGs, we'll never know for sure what would have happened.

Top Bottom