The Scourge - Overview of Phases

Although I agree that using regular, not locked, BGS war mechanic could've been more interesting
Not really...
using BGS mechanics would had allow a small number of focused BGS experts to mess things up badly for a large number of enthusiastic (but bgs noobs) CMDRs.
It happened before and it was also attempted in the first II when FD was accused of GodModding.

So yea, i'm all for keeping BGS out of scripted events organized by FDev since allowing manipulation from CMDRs would make it less of an FD event and more of a VoxPopuli thing.

Will Flanagan

Community Manager
Frontier
Greetings Commanders,

With the end of the most recent Community Goal, this marks the conclusion to The Scourge. First off, we would like to thank all of the dedicated Commanders who took part to combat the rise of the Rockforth pathogen. Although The Scourge is over, it will have everlasting effects on our galaxy.

Despite the efforts of the galactic community, the blight pathogen (unwittingly distributed by the Rockforth Corporation) proved far too resilient to quarantine and eradicate completely. Food stocks across the galaxy are now at risk of carrying the dormant pathogen, which if introduced to healthy crops or food reserves, has the potential to activate and erupt into Blight.

Blight is a new Background Simulation state and has a huge economic impact on the faction affected in that star system. It can be counteracted by delivering Agronomic Treatment - produced in High-Tech economies - to affected systems. If left untreated, it can quickly wipe out food reserves and with no further food stocks available, the pathogen dies out and the faction will instead experience a full-blown Famine state.

We hope that when this happens, you will be prepared to help our galaxy and its people from experiencing such a great devastation...

It would really be interesting to find out how blight will appear in a system.
Can it be used as an attack to another faction or it is a random event?

A question for which I hope I get an answer later... after some experimentations from the community ;) Is it possible to predict that a food stock in a particular system, will spread the blight if exported to another system ? or is it purely random ?
I would expect something similar to Outbreak and Pirate Attack - it looks random to any sort of casual inspection, but there is actually an underlying pattern based on player activity. Whether we ever have enough data to figure out that pattern will be tricky, I think.

I'm not a BGS expert, before blight came along, what factors threw systems into a famine state?
Anything which reduced the economic state of a faction (for a system, its controlling faction) could cause Famine.

So ... black market trades, trading at a loss, and the effects of certain missions targeting the faction's ships or assets.

In practice these effects were never strong enough to overcome the general positive economic pressure caused by normal player activity, and often also impractical to deliberately use, so factions (and especially controlling factions) never ended up in Famine after the 3.3 release.

Looks like farming Datamined Wake Exceptions will finally be coming back! :')
I'm sure I saw a screenshot earlier today of a faction in Famine in which I saw the words, State pending: Outbreak (or something to that effect). If someone who actually knows something about the BGS can confirm this, then Yay! Not just DWEs but Pharmaceutical Isolators may once again be (tragically, to be sure) abundant.

A faction being in outbreak does not result in HGE being of that state... HGE are selected from ALL factions in a system Not just the controlling faction...
HGE are RNG from all faction in the system... this means if there are 8 factions in a system and only 1 is outbreak you have a 8 to 1 chance of getting the out break HGE Also the supported Power of a faction can change the out break items RNG for outbreak to another item...
Even if 7 out of 8 factions were in outbreak you can still end up with getting the 8th non outbreak HGE...

A faction being in outbreak does not result in HGE being of that state... HGE are selected from ALL factions in a system Not just the controlling faction...
HGE are RNG from all faction in the system... this means if there are 8 factions in a system and only 1 is outbreak you have a 8 to 1 chance of getting the out break HGE Also the supported Power of a faction can change the out break items RNG for outbreak to another item...
Even if 7 out of 8 factions were in outbreak you can still end up with getting the 8th non outbreak HGE...
Right! But given enough events, the outcomes tend to regress to the mean. In this case it means that we need to try a number of systems before you get your PI. When we had no famine, we had no chance of getting any.

Blight in an Industrial system is stupid. Agronomic Treatment is sold at a big loss. So all we can do is ship new food? Confused.

Right! But given enough events, the outcomes tend to regress to the mean. In this case it means that we need to try a number of systems before you get your PI. When we had no famine, we had no chance of getting any.
PIs are not from famine there from outbreak. Out break is illness and diseases, famine is reverse of boom and worse state than bust...
JUmping to out break factions can still mean Zero PIs because every single system you vist will still have a single faction only in outbreak..

Because HGE are RNG... Combat and material trader at 6-1 of grade 5 are still a lot quicker than HGE... Famine HGEs don't give PIs any way..

Last edited:
Blight in an Industrial system is stupid. Agronomic Treatment is sold at a big loss. So all we can do is ship new food? Confused.
Where did You you read that ? Looks to me that blight can erupt everywhere and can be countered selling Agronomic treatment in the system affected.

Agronomic treatment is made in high tech system and from the screenshots brings a decent amount of money when sold in system affected from the blight state.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Greetings Commanders,

With the end of the most recent Community Goal, this marks the conclusion to The Scourge. First off, we would like to thank all of the dedicated Commanders who took part to combat the rise of the Rockforth pathogen. Although The Scourge is over, it will have everlasting effects on our galaxy.

Despite the efforts of the galactic community, the blight pathogen (unwittingly distributed by the Rockforth Corporation) proved far too resilient to quarantine and eradicate completely. Food stocks across the galaxy are now at risk of carrying the dormant pathogen, which if introduced to healthy crops or food reserves, has the potential to activate and erupt into Blight.

Blight is a new Background Simulation state and has a huge economic impact on the faction affected in that star system. It can be counteracted by delivering Agronomic Treatment - produced in High-Tech economies - to affected systems. If left untreated, it can quickly wipe out food reserves and with no further food stocks available, the pathogen dies out and the faction will instead experience a full-blown Famine state.

We hope that when this happens, you will be prepared to help our galaxy and its people from experiencing such a great devastation...

Aaah, clever plan to introduce Famine back, but with more depth. It all makes sense now :)

I'm afraid however that people will happily allow the galaxy to starve, as long as they can get some Datamined Wake Exceptions :D

Top Bottom