The Search for Gan Romero

Check half way down the page, someone may have already found the DBX crash site :/
All it shows may be a generic DBX Crash site (RNG POI), they're fairly rare but do tend to spawn when driving around with an SRV for a longer time.
If it was "it", one would expect at least some Logs indicating its unique nature.

Exactly. There's nothing that would even hint that this was Gan Romero.
It's definitely not it.

Reported on the Wiki 22nd September 2018

https://elite-dangerous.fandom.com/wiki/Shipwreck?oldid=110665

For me the location of Gal Romero was always secondary. He is on a mnission for his alien friends and he will return when the mission is completed.
But how did he manage to steal the ship? The only explanation I have is that his alien friends helped there. Do we want to find and plug that security leak? These aliens might have more important missions for people without ships. I am sure there are more people they contacted. But possibly these didn't understand the message or they just had enough money needed (like to buy a ship) or didn't talk to the press about it.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Good morning all,

I'm off to find Gan Romero. I know it's a fool's errand, but I have a hunch. It's clear that Gan is not simply deluded. Who is calling him and what he is delivering are the real question.

New Krait MkII, 37.15Ly range with no guardian FSB. Enough materials for 19 75% FS injections which will yield somewhere around 64Ly each. SRV hangar, fighter hangar, fully armed with pulse lasers, multicannon, dual long-range rail guns. Took a lot of engineering to get the jump range to where it is, but I'm super happy with it as the "heavy" armed explorer it was meant to be.

Ship is called The Navy Dark II
ID# NVY02X

Heading off to the black, a fool for a fool's errand. See you out there.

Cmdr. Q Hung

Good luck Commander! Please report any findings, I'll be watching this thread.

Good evening from The Navy Dark II:

It's been a few days. I've been trying to explain the antiquated 20th-century concept of the "workweek" to Holloway but it's not quite sinking in.

We've just landed at Base Camp in the Soul Nebula. The Bubble Sector is some 3,200Ly distant still, and we depart directly through Heart Sector and beyond - tonight.

There is obviously little to report in the direction of Mr. Romero, as we have simply been cruising through black space, but cartography efforts - new discoveries only - yielded 10 ammonia worlds, 21 water worlds (14 terraformable), and one Earth-like. Another 234 million credits from that data helps ease the sting of endless cruising from star to star. We found some polonium on a planet surface and were able to pull an FSD injection assisted 70+Ly jump which isn't too bad for a heavily armed Krait MkII.

We'll see how far we get in the next couple days, if we push we just might have the better part of the next week to work on the Bubble Nebula Survey proper.

Faithful to the Cause of Exploration,

Cmdr Q Hung

For me the location of Gal Romero was always secondary. He is on a mnission for his alien friends and he will return when the mission is completed.
But how did he manage to steal the ship? The only explanation I have is that his alien friends helped there. Do we want to find and plug that security leak? These aliens might have more important missions for people without ships. I am sure there are more people they contacted. But possibly these didn't understand the message or they just had enough money needed (like to buy a ship) or didn't talk to the press about it.
I like your angle a lot. For whatever reason I always just assumed his trip was one-way (with his intent or not), but the idea of his return is an interesting one.

In thinking of what to do upon return to the bubble (not the nebula), poking around Vega and surroundings has been high on the list.

Q

Hi everyone, a brief update from The Navy Dark II:

Frustrated with the slow pace of progress, last night we temporarily stopped scanning systems so carefully as we cruised through and pushed very hard towards our next goal. The systems were much denser in this region and allowed us a much easier time navigating efficiently, as a result we arrived in the Bubble Nebula early this morning. After taking a week to get from Crab to Soul, we covered 3,200Ly in a few hours - it was quite satisfying.

The survey is on, we will spend some significant time here carefully mapping and scanning everything reasonably possible.

Good hunting, commanders.

Cmdr Q Hung

Very good point, however the guys occupation involves tinkering inside ships and so could possibly have the knowledge to alter/remove systems ship ID and name. This needle could have been lifted from the hay stack and dropped in to an entire farmer's field!!

Good luck CMDR Q Hung! Fly safe and hope you will find something soon!

But why aliens choose Vega to do this? If they want to bring to their home an average family father with an average ship - maybe for exhibition purposes - but why Vega?

Maybe Commander Bjorn Lennox knows something important military data about those aliens? Or just "It was fitted for exploration with a high jump range, and it sounds like this guy was heading somewhere really far away."?

The Firemaker said "It seems possible that Halsey and Romero were telepathically contacted by the same incorporeal intelligence". Is it possible that the target system is close to that where Jasmina lost? Azaleach?

Also we dont know anything about the hideous Daurtu Jet Comms PLC. Maybe something in Daurtu?

Anyway do you hear those "bodiless voices"? Frightening.

If Vega the center, you can take a liner, and connect Vega-Azaleach and Vega-Daurtu. Maybe you can find something that direction - if you enlonger that line out of the bubble.

Very good point, however the guys occupation involves tinkering inside ships and so could possibly have the knowledge to alter/remove systems ship ID and name. This needle could have been lifted from the hay stack and dropped in to an entire farmer's field!!

We cant find the needle in an entire farmers field! Chances like win the lottery. No.
We must use a magnet to find the needle.
Sadly, the best help we can get to build that magnetic "attraction" to communicate answer on those alien callwords is to find Gan...

Or I must wait for those bodiless voices...

Good morning again from The Navy Dark II:

The Bubble Nebula Survey is nearly complete. We've gotten a very high return rate for biological surface signals... and they're all bark mounds. Soooo many bark mounds. Incidentally there's also a high return rate for geological signals, which makes me wonder if the commonality of the two are at all regionally related. Of course, we all know about correlation vs causation.

In other "of course" type news, no sign of Gan out here. We've mapped all landable bodies, done the typical visual scans of planet surfaces, focused on some quite striking surface features, and all has come up empty. The most interesting part of this journey, as it relates to the mystery surrounding Mr. Romero, has been the conversation here about it with you all.

Would someone be so kind as to record the FSS signal from Dixon at Vega and post it? Several people have alluded to it but I have not yet seen a reliable description nor heard a recording. I'd do it myself except that I'm on the final legs of a 21,000Ly loop of futility - also I don't have a Vega permit. My concern is that the signal will go away or expire or something, if it hasn't done so already. I happen to be a sound engineer (obviously what I use to fill time when not flying around the galaxy) and would love to put the signal through my equipment to see if anything pops out.

Once finished here we're going to head back home, probably via the Veil Nebula as previously planned. If the trail remains desperately cold at that time, we'll go ahead and grind out that Vega permit, and take it from there.

May your fuel scoops be full and your polonium inventory plentiful.

Cmdr Q Hung

Cancel that Dixon recording request - it has already been posted in the Raxxla thread. Thanks.

If Vega the center, you can take a liner, and connect Vega-Azaleach and Vega-Daurtu. Maybe you can find something that direction - if you enlonger that line out of the bubble.

This and your other ideas are quite good. Appreciate your input and support.

Q

Good morning again, for the last time on this journey, from The Navy Dark II:

Holloway and I are sitting at Jameson Memorial, struggling to fully distill our recent journey into something we're capable of comprehending. To be sure, there was absolutely no sign of Gan anywhere, and so our primary mission wound up encompassing 23,000Ly in the black for nothing. The lessons and the credits have made it superficially worth the time, but the real takeaway is this: Truly understanding the scale of the galaxy and the journeys we must make is priceless, the kind of thing which changes a person's perspective.

The Bubble Nebula is incredibly beautiful, especially sitting inside it, where the unearthly purple ambience comes from every direction. Veil Nebula West is similarly beautiful, when the blues and pinks play across ships or planet surfaces. The Crab Nebula erupts with color, saturated reds and yellows and greens. All of these sites are surprisingly small, encompassing only a small handful of stars among them. The Heart and Soul, and the North America Nebula by contrast are huge things, their interiors feeling like regions in their own right, their luminous shells like protective city walls in the night.

Holloway has decided to stick around for a while so long as we stay within a couple thousand lightyears of the bubble for a few weeks - she's not in for another month out in the black without a little civilization first. We've decided to go pick up the needed components for some Guardian FSD Boosters, which for sure will come in handy on the next long journey. That plus the few ship modifications on the docket should push the MkII's jump range to right about 50Ly. That's gonna be luxurious on the next long journey - it's amazing how 37Ly seems super small when you're in the outer arms of the galaxy. I'm starting to understand the draw of the Exploraconda, but that ship is just such a dog from the helm... still gonna be super stoked to have a well-armed 50Ly MkII which is a pleasure to fly and carries its own fighter hangar just the same.

After the Guardian gear we're going to pick up the Romero search again, and expand the overall quest to include old tips about President Halsey and others. Part of the plan now involves improving my rankings and equipment both, so that when news breaks and events happen we will be ready and able to take on the task. I was frustrated as early Romero news broke, because I was flying a Viper MkIV at the time and as much as I loved it, it just couldn't handle the rigors of the journey I planned to undertake. There was a good week or so in there where I was outfitting and grinding engineers on the MkII, and just couldn't yet leave for Crab Sector. I don't want to be caught in that position again.

Thanks all for taking a bit of this journey with Holloway and me, and please keep in touch as you uncover bits and pieces relevant to this swirl of mysteries. We'll be checking in.

Cmdr Q Hung

The search for Gan Romero is difficult.
We my know what ship he stole but not its jump range or his destination. If we had these two informations it would be possible to plot a likely course (or several of them).
While my guess for his goal would be one of the Guardian homeworlds he (and none of us) doesn't have a ship able for athmospheric entry.

I’m probably very late to this discussion, but I think he probably went to the Empyrean Straits region. The “Empyrean” is an old name for the highest heavenly realm. That seems to track with some of the comments regarding his dream journal.

Top Bottom