The Search for Gan Romero

Oh, you met with Commander Rich Davis, and yes, he has a T-7 for trading and a cobra 3 for pirate actions. Reported by carbon based lifeforms for ganking, numerous times :)
Seriously? That is the best thing I've heard all week!

Good evening from the bridge of The Navy Dark III -

The lure of deep space calls to my ears once again. The longing is real, the need to explore is strong, and the mysteries of the black lay unsolved, naked and exposed but still somehow unfound. Holloway and I had a great talk last night, and we're probably ready for another several kLy run in the next week or so.

We've got a few thoughts to put out to the community:

Are the Thargoids properly stung by two major galactic war defeats? They were defeated by the Guardians centuries ago and then were nearly wiped out by humanity more recently. Their aggression seems to defy logic in many respects. I guess insectoid intelligence patterns may result in such behavior.

We firmly believe that the Guardians are not fully extinct, and that some recent events such as Gan Romero's experience, as well as President Halsey and potentially others, are the remaining exiled Guardians attempting to leave breadcrumbs to being found by humanity without raising the suspicions of the Thargoids, who would immediately annihilate the remaining Guardian remnant in its weakened state. We think that these remaining Guardians escaped the final punishment of their own AI war machines and simply cut their losses and ran when the opportunity presented. They may have even lain waiting for the intervening centuries knowing that humanity would soon be ready to play a key ally in the upcoming maelstroms.

Finally, what do we do in the case of the bubble being overrun? It's pretty well accepted that the Thargoids are in a civil war of their own, so what if the bubble becomes fully engulfed in that conflict, or another straight Human-Thargoid war? Where do we think the watershed will be where humanity fully mobilizes against the threat again - or is humanity too fractured at this point to resist? Is a Colonia bailout feasible? A resistance?

Further updates: we're now on The Navy Dark III (3) as opposed to II, we've spent a bunch of time in the last week running errands for the Empire (I know...) which has resulted in license to fly our new Imperial Cutter. We're still improving things via engineering at the moment, but she's already becoming a pretty capable ship. Sol and Vega permits are forthcoming as well, something we've been putting off for a long time.

What's looking interesting in way of exploration and search targets? Any thoughts?

Best,

Cmdr Q Hung, Pilot Holloway

Do you remember this (GalNet)?

"Speculation is rife at Obsidian Orbital this morning following a close-quarters encounter with an unidentified Diamondback Explorer. According to Chloe Anders, a member of the surveillance team at Christian Dock, the mysterious vessel came within 10 kilometres of the station while performing what was described as a "high-speed pass":

"I saw it approach and assumed it was about to submit a docking request, but instead it just started circling the station. It had an unusual designation – "S6: 7" – so I tried hailing it, but there was no response. Then our sensors lit up. I couldn't believe it – the damned thing was scanning the station! I told the weapons team to stand by, but the next thing I knew, it was gone."

Asked for her opinion of the vessel's purpose, Anders said: "I know it sounds crazy, but when I saw it circling the station like that, the only thing I could think was that it was looking for something.""

Also interesting case of the generation ship Thetis, with a strange signal from a planet, and the passengers became "zombie-like", but not dead. Maybe the ship's log helps where the signal comes from.

Do you remember this (GalNet)?

- SNIP -

Also interesting case of the generation ship Thetis, with a strange signal from a planet, and the passengers became "zombie-like", but not dead. Maybe the ship's log helps where the signal comes from.

How long ago was this story?

I'm beginning to think Lennox was in on it and had a second person lying in wait for Romero to start work on the ship shortly after docking, to maybe carry out scans again and use Gan to make it look like a robbery.

How long ago was this story?

Very old "news" from GalNet archives, 31.01.3302. We never know what happened with that vessel. That "Freelance Report" from GalNet what PhilBFC linked in from 15.02.3302 left open the question around Palin's storyline.

The generation ship Thetis found on 28.04.3303 in system Nefertem at planet 6 A. I cant find the ship log, but wikia says "The signal was found to have originated from an uninhabited planet that the Thetis had passed 15 lightyears earlier". Strange.

Better hope he did NOT go to Colonia: the star density in the nebulas around here is just too high to find anything without a lead. I have just tried to find Guardian presence around Colonia and all I could do was to sample different areas in and around each nebula for brain trees or sites... didn't find anything naturally.

Edit: P.S.: If someone is working on an agent killing bark mounds system wide - count me in.

Better hope he did NOT go to Colonia: the star density in the nebulas around here is just too high to find anything without a lead. I have just tried to find Guardian presence around Colonia and all I could do was to sample different areas in and around each nebula for brain trees or sites... didn't find anything naturally.

Edit: P.S.: If someone is working on an agent killing bark mounds system wide - count me in.

How about a new player faction dedicated to the violent eradication of bark mounds galaxy-wide?

Q

I will re-iterate. A lot of large nebulae are nice to look at and very well explored but with the arrival of Guardian tech our ships can jump that little bit further. Two of my GCRV ( so far ) seem to have paths's ( jumpable ) able to get to them. Today I spent equipping and engineering a ship to be able to passively jump 70 ly. Blimy, it was a chore. They are singular stars. Or stars that exploded. With visible vibrance that now can be seen in the in game map.

Stumbled upon my first GCRV star on the galmap and took the ~1,800Ly trip to the Little Dumbbell Nebula (GCRV 950). Still had Gan on the mind as we went out there. Again no sign of him, but the system itself did not disappoint. Phenomenal amounts of surface returns, geo and bio both. No apparent links to sentience, though. No brain trees, no barnacles, no outposts, nothing. Beautiful views.

Incidentally, the system is nearly 400Ly below the plane, so stars start to get a bit thin down here, but it's not too bad. The cutter's doing 45Ly jumps and we made it with minimal difficulty, though we did use almost all the range a time or two.

Q

I am currently on route to the Eagle Nebula. There's a thick veil of F(white) stars there that seems strangely out of randomness. Like a wall of stars, near the core of the Nebula. There's two systems near in Human control. Gonna comb the area and try to find any clue.

If I happen to come across something strange, I'll have my Loooooooong jump(~70ly) DBX and I'll be there as soon as I can get there.

Just my two cents on Gan... He is on what is probably his first and only exploration run so he will... Like i imagine most of us did... make a modified beeline from vega to Sag A... stopping at all the pretty nebulae along the way...

By logic, he would have to make repairs in stations along the way. That, or he is completely out of his mind and is now wrecked in some planet or a lost USS in a system along the way.
But Elite has no Role Play in-stations, so that we could ask around for clues. Nor has it a long-range scanner to peek at systems in a specific area and look for out-of-place radiation emissions, or emergency beacons.
I do think that, in what regards search and rescue, having such a huge galaxy to explore, Elite could be THE GRAND GAME about it.

Oh my...

The Gan Romero storyline was always envisaged as an off-camera narrative. The fact that some people assumed it had an in-game component, and went searching for Romero, was for me further evidence that off-camera GalNet stories could be detrimental to the player experience, and cemented our desire to ensure that all GalNet content related to things that were actually in the game.

Scytale

Banned
Ouch ! That's even harsher, imho !
You mean FD didn't even reach to imagine that many Cmdrs would go after their fake Cmdr Romero after publishing that fake... err.. I mean "off-camera" story in... GalNet ?
Bad, bad Penguin ! ;)

Last edited:
This game has a rich vein of lore, both provided by FD and for free by fans over decades, so it would take a lot of work to balls it up.
FD have excelled themselves in this regard!

Top Bottom