The search for Jaques...

Talk about a needle in a haystack...

Do we have any clues that might narrow down the search? To my knowledge, hyperdrive misjumps are not part of ED, but in First Encounters, a misjump placed you randomly within a sphere with a radius of your maximum jump range. In ED, of course, interstellar space isn't implemented, so we know that he must be relatively close to a star.

Given that his jump range at the time was greater than the radius of the galaxy, if misjumps work the same way, he could literally be in any system. We can assume he's not in the bubble, since there's no news, but other than that, we're looking at 1 in 100 billion systems.

Still, if we assume that we're supposed to find him, then it stands to reason that there are or will be clues to his location. Knowing FD, they will be subtle, obscure, arcane, and possibly require doctorate level knowledge of mathematics, dead languages, 1980s pop culture trivia, and astrophysics, but there will be there.

Does anyone know if there's anything at his departure point? Maybe some sort of wake residue or sensor data?

Good points! Especially about clues left behind at his departure point. It was one of the Gliese systems, not sure which one, but if anyone in the bubble is nearby it may be worth checking the local news in the other stations of that system, and look for persistent wakes around the planet he jumped from.

Edit : Also scan ships in that system, some scans reveal lots of data now!

Last edited:
When asked about Jaques during a Q&A, David Braben said Jaques' arrival at BP was delayed a week. That was 2 or 3 weeks ago if I recall correctly.

If its been delayed until 2.1.1 FD should have mentioned it (imo), as players are hanging around needlessly otherwise.

Is there any sort of mention of timeframes?
There have been no dates that I've seen, but I also don't scour the forums for every FD post that get made. :)

My reasoning is that we know Jaques Station (maybe they can fix the missing apostrophe when he returns) can only move during game updates, and presumably only during major updates that include both server and client.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

If its been delayed until 2.1.1 FD should have mentioned it (imo), as players are hanging around needlessly otherwise.
I won't disagree with that. :)

I've been surveying Beagle Point 7 for past couple days. (nice mat finds btw and mostly flat terrain)...I'll keep a look out for him there.

I had a suspicion that Jacques' jump was going to go awry when FD moved all the players to a safe distance. There was no reason to do it otherwise. While it would be unfortunate if some players were trapped at Beagle point, there were plenty of warnings and messages indicating that this was happening, and Jacques could always jump back to the bubble after a month if it turned out to be necessary.

The main reason, I think, to move the players out of the station before the jump was to prevent players from reporting his new location. If players had been on board Jacques when he jumped, we'd already know his fate.

Still, if we assume that we're supposed to find him, then it stands to reason that there are or will be clues to his location. Knowing FD, they will be subtle, obscure, arcane, and possibly require doctorate level knowledge of mathematics, dead languages, 1980s pop culture trivia, and astrophysics, but there will be there.

Well, we better call the Canonn then. I heard they have loads of experts on this kind of knowledge :p
Btw, has anyone checked for signalsources in BP yet?

As I said on another thread, I reckon that the Thargoids have got him, and we'll get several CGs to find the pieces. We'll get some vague hints fr a search area, or a direction to search in, then find pieces of wreckage. initial areas will be accessible and close to the bubble, each find will get analysed and lead to the next region further away. There is the potential that this is how we will eventually meet the Thargoids.....

Last edited:
As I said on another thread, I reckon that the Thargoids have got him, and we'll get several CGs to find the pieces. We'll get some vague hints fr a search area, or a direction to search in, then find pieces of wreckage. initial areas will be accessible and close to the bubble, each find will get analysed and lead to the next region further away. There is the potential that this is how we will eventually meet the Thargoids.....
That would mean a complete change of direction of what the devs have said then, as Jaques leaving the Bubble and appearing at Beagle Point was to recognize the achievements of the DWE (as stated by a dev).

I would have thought he would have shown up at BP first, then possibly something along the lines of what you stated would occur later on in Jaques story arc, maybe during his journey home? (which would indeed be a cool way to introduce the Thagoids btw :))

Last edited:
There is also one that no one mentioned yet... but makes very good sense.
---
It takes "TIME" to jump <anything> from one side of the galaxy to the other. For Jaque, it might take a few seconds, minutes, hours... but for those of us watching... it might be a bit longer.
---
I take heart in a report from someone who had fines due there... he mentioned that they "flicker" - - - sometimes there... sometimes not. Would follow that this might be an indicator that Jaque is still travelling.
---
Good luck with the search... By which I mean, I really hope you do not find the station --- That is, until it appears back in GalMap.

That would mean a complete change of direction of what the devs have said then, as Jaques leaving the Bubble and appearing at Beagle Point was to recognize the achievements of the DWE (as stated by a dev).

I would have thought he would have shown up at BP first, then possibly something along the lines of what you stated would occur later on in Jaques story arc, maybe during his journey home? (which would indeed be a cool way to introduce the Thagoids btw :))
...do something in game to mark the achievement and came up with the idea for Jaques wanting to attempt this jump.
Emphasis mine. I still think he's going to be used to unlock the PRAEI sectors.

Basically I'm a bit annoyed at FDev right now. YES for storyline engagement. But NO for screwing with DWE. If they are wanting to set up an intro to an alien invasion/contact they should have done so by having Jaques jump -anywhere- but Beagle Point. SagA*, Formidine Rift, Pleiades, ...?, whatever.

Right now there are some of us who have stuck around in the increasingly forlorn hope that Jaques does turn up, losing out daily on First Discovered tags which other pilots are handing in on the slim chance of being part of something unique - being amongst the first Commanders to greet Jaques at the far end of the galaxy. But if this is just a bluff by FDev (for whatever reason), it's IMHO in very VERY poor taste.

Having said that, I'm up for a coordinated search on Sunday (and/or the rest of the weekend).

I couldn't agree more. They should have stuck with info being provided on the net, instead of Michael Brooks telling us a time frame that he "should" be at BP by. And totally leaving us in the shadows.

Top Bottom