The "So I Just Hit the Rebuy Screen..." Thread

I thought about starting this thread a few weeks ago already. Went mission running in my trusted old Python out of Shinrarta Dezhra. Got a nicely paying cargo mission to a nearby system, then discovered an equally nice paying one to the same station. Jackpot!

The only trick: together they exceeded my cargo hold capacity by a few tons. Fly twice? No way. I'm the kind of guy who's always hauling the entire groceries from the trunk to the house in one go, even if my arms fall off. So going twice is not an option.

So I went for the obvious alternative: replaced my shield generator with another cargo compartment. All cargo loaded, off I went.

Of course, I got interdicted by an NPC Conda. No surprises there, I had expected that. Boosted away out of harm's reach, hit the "Feds to the rescue!" button, waited for the FedSec to jump in, watched them intercept the pirate, and then decided to try if I could shoot down a Dangerous NPC Conda with my shieldless Python and a FedSec wing on my side.

My hull was well below 50% when I got the Conda's shields down, so I decided it was not worth it and low-waked out. I knew that NPC pirate would interdict me again, but I should still be able to safely boost away and finally reach the station.

Only I didn't. Upon his follow-up interdiction, I hit the boost button, only to hear a very familiar "kaplooosh!" sound. Another ship had just dropped in to join the fun. Turned out to be another NPC pirate, in a T-10. And he materialized right in front of my Python. That was going at full boost speed. With no shields. And some 40% hull.

CRASH! Eject! Eject!

Lesson learned: flying interdiction-prone missions in a shieldless ship is entirely possible. Just don't try to be cute and show the pirate who's boss.

Anyway, that was a few weeks ago. Tonight's rebuy screen hit me even more by surprise.

I'm meanwhile flying a mostly A-rated and engineered Corvette. Currently rank-grinding for the Empire, to get the Cutter and complete my Big 3 collection.

So I'm sitting at Cormack Hub in Codorain, scanning the mission board. No good delivery / supply missions available, so I decide to go pirate hunting instead. Mission level Elite - whatever. "Recommended for a wing" - yeah, sure. Wing, shwing. Mission accepted, off I go.

Jumping into the target system, I get a mission critical message: They'll throw in another 720,000 CR if I manage to kill the target without losing my ship. Ha, free credits, isn't that nice! After all, what NPC could possibly harm me in my invincible Vette, right?

My mood got even better when I intercepted the target wing and found it consisting of 1 FDL and 2 Vultures. Cuuuute! Never made easier money than that.

Only I didn't. I focused on the main mission target in the FDL, ignoring the Vultures. After a minute or so, I notice that my shields are depleting about as fast as his are. What the...? After another minute, his shields are finally down. Seconds later, so are mine. Whatever, the hull of a FDL is nothing compared to that of a Vette, right?

After another few seconds, things are getting messy and I decide to boost away. The target has 2% hull left. I got 5. Damn. But I'm still alive.

So I'm limping to De Kamp Orbital and hit the local Core Dynamics workshop, to get my Vette fixed. Refuel, rearm, repair, and I'm headed back out. Straight back to the mission target. I'll pay a little more attention this time. With proper concentration, this should still be piece of cake.

Nope. I struggle even more this time. I could swear that NPC has memorized my moves from my first assault and seems to dodge my attacks even better now. Our shields go down simultaneously. This time, he gets away with 5% hull. Mine is at zero. Eject. Eject.

So much for the 720K "clean kill" bonus. Instead, I'm seeing a 16M rebuy screen. My shiny golden Vette got shot down by an FDL and 2 Vultures. The cheek!

I'm in blood rage mode now. Heading back to Jameson Memorial, I hit the Outfitting hangar. Remove the Heat Sink Launcher and 2 Point Defences and replace them with 3 more Shield Boosters. Plus, I finally open my purse and replace the stock Lightweight Alloy Armour with a Reactive Surface Composite one. I briefly consider swapping the Bi-Weaves I have equipped with the Prismatic Shield Generator that's gathering dust on my tool shelf ever since my days of trying to win the heart of the one and only Princess. Didn't win her, but still got one PSG of every size. Never use them, though, as by the time the Prismatics have rebuilt, Aisling's face will be wrinkled.

So I decide to stick with the Bi-Weaves and go after that bloody pirate for a third time. This time, they didn't even get my shields down before I had turned that pirate to space dust.

Lesson learned: you can fly Elite wing elimination missions as a solo pilot, but you should bring your A game when you try.

So, that's the stories of my 2 recent encounters with the rebuy screen. Looking forward to hear yours, CMDRs! And for the sake of getting interesting tales here, for once I'll say:

Fly unsafe! o7

The salt will be supplied when we find out why that Corvette was so cheap to rebuy.

I presume the OP plays in such a way that they take wild chances & have an adventure (and a consequent entertaining tale of woe) rather than mitigating all risk out of the game by fitting range reducing hull armour ;)

I feel a few of the respondents so far have missed the point of the thread.

I've had that same type of situation where the T10 drops in after you are engaged with the Conda. But I noticed that the T10 will not always target you first, but will fire on the Conda till it is down, then try to come after you. That's happened more than once so I guess its a thing. I don't mind, my cutter is quite well armed, even if I'm using it for mining.

From zakk's post #1 above... "hit the "Feds to the rescue!" button," - was that just the automatic report of crimes against your ship? or is there an Intergalactic 999 (I suppose, 911 in some parts of the galaxy) service that's eluded me?

Anyway, a quick "oops" story of my own...

One evening I'd been exercising my Vulture "Tweetie Pie" in a "High" resource site (helping the feds as I don't have anything like enough combat skills to fight solo in there). Finished the session. Cashed in the bounties, refuelled, rearmed etc.. I thought time for a little more ED before I turn in (I was getting a little tired). Found a quick courier mission and ren that in the Vulture. Arrived, completed the mission, thought back to base and turn in... I did have a single cargo rack in the Vulture, and as there is little point in running empty I took on some cargo for the run home. What could possibly go wrong????. Got back to base, sold Cargo, refuelled etc... I was tired now, so I logged out.

Next evening I upgraded Tweetie's weapons (knew I'd run into power issues, but it should be manageable), took Tweetie back to the High res site... Dropped in - was just reallocating power to modules, sorting out weapons, ensuring that I had the right fire groups selected etc, and ignored the pirate scans that welcome new visitors to the site (didn't even read the messages). Next minute I'm being fired upon.... What the...?????!!!!I.... engaged the attacking vessel but he was in a wing of three big ships, and well, it didn't end well for me.... It turns out that somehow I'd missed selling some of my cargo the previous evening.... oops.....

Lessons learned... Check cargo empty before going bounty hunting... Learn better power management (done, and later I engineered my power plant so make this unnecessary). I also made a "Red Alert" Voice Attack macro to speed deployment of weapons to a usable state....

My last rebuy was in my Cutter - went splat just next to Felicity on Deciat.
Some time ago been tinkering around exploration Cutter, planning to break 50 LYs of range with my non existent engineering options. Found that I'm lacking FSD engineering so I took my Cutter and headed toward Deciat.

Arrived, dropped into glide, ended ~8km above the station. Bit far this time, let's boost to shorten the ride. Well...
equation = G3 Dirty + boost - D-rated thrusters
<computation as ground comes dangerously fast>
equation results >0

Danger, Will Robinson.

Luckily next to Farseer's base there's a rather deep canyon so I can break down way below surface level. It turned out the canyon wasn't deep enough.
New equation = (G3 Dirty + boost) - (D-rated thrusters + D-rated undersized shields) >0

Hello CMDR, would you like us to refund your Cutter?

Fun fact - took the very same ship again for the entire 230LYs trip, got to Deciat again, dropped the glide at ~8km but this time I started slowing from there instead of boosting. Landed, engineered. It just took bit longer than planned.

All because I forgot how drifty Cutter is.

Oh, i have some pretty ones.

Dead accu's in XB controller while fighting 5 scouts (were 7 initially) - my Crusader's 1400MJ shields were down to about 25% when that happened.
After changing the accus, 40 seconds later, i was enjoying the rebuy screen.

Cutter in augmented armed trader build (read as: 1600 MJ bi-weaves, reactive armor, size 5 hrp+mrp, SLF, AFMU and repair limpets sic!, rest cargo racks), haz res to train the SLF crew.
After getting really miffed by a wing of 3 DBX/DBS, annoying little buggers, i got entangled with a wing of 3 fed bricks deadly/dangerous.
Lost shields, hull was already 65% from previous encounters. Hull 40% but i managed to nail two of the bricks, 3rd one, a FAS, is low on hull too... when she delivers me a pair of PA bolts then she boost-rams me and we both explode in a impressive twin fireball. 40 something millions rebuy plus an almost Deadly SLF Crew.

Anaconda, hardened explorer build (1700 shields, 1700 hull, armed to the teeth), on the return leg from Explorer's Anchorage CG (Bubble, Explorer's Anchorage, Colonia, some 3k-5k away from the bubble).
I was enjoying the scenery right outside an asteroid base along the Colonia Highway - read as: i was just left the asteroid base and i was trying to position the ship in front of the asteroid's mail slot for some nice screenshots. I somehow drifted in the mailslot loitering zone, being in camera mode no messages reached me, so a brief but very vivid fireworks ensued followed by me starring at the rebuy screen.
I wasn't really fazed by this. Rebuy was not a problem and i just sold all the exploration data before leaving the asteroid base.
Then it hit me: My. ELITE. SLF. CREW.

Craith

Volunteer Moderator
Exploring a planet my corvette (that was around 2.1, so not really recent, and planets were fresh and new). The day before we found a gorgeous canyon on an icy moon, glittering ice all around. After rescuing a mate from a trench (where I didn't nearly get stuck myself, nu-uh), I decided to fly along the floor of the canyon, racing through it in my (un-engineered) corvette. ~50m above the floor, going 200is on a boost, I decided to do a fast FA-off turn. I had the brilliant idea to start the 180 by putting the nose down instead of up - well, the front half of a corvette was bigger than the space between said corvette and the ground, but the ground proved to be the stronger). The canyon is still dubbed "Corvette Canyon" instead of the official name "Bagger's Canyon" by some of my squadmates - no idea why.

Another, more recent rebuy was in my lightly armoured, fast combat Eagle, when I dropped into a Encoded Signal Source, and saw some rare materials lying around. I started to manually scoop them up, when some pirates dropped in. 69 points of shield are good if you are evading enemy fire - with cargo scoop open and moving slowly it doesn't significantly delay the demise. (That was before guardian shield boosters - those change a lot)

When there still were CGs, I showed up in my DBx to provide some rares. The usual emergent content providers showed up and started to interdict me. Submitted, high waked, returned and flew a big circle to the station. Getting a few requests to slow down and play (paraphrased), delivered my cargo, went for another round. Similar, again high wake on first round, but shields dropped and I took some damage. Still, it was late, I wanted to stop for the night, so I didn't go for repairs, and flew a more direct route. Of course I got interdicted, and when I (tried to) charge my FSD I got the dreaded thruster malfunction message. Shortly. Then it was the rebuy message.

Yet another rebuy in the corvette - I was in the new player area (the old one, not the current rank locked one) and tried to help some new players. While one of them was selling the Ceremonial Heike Tea I gave him as a present I waited in front of the station. Growing a bit bored I jumped into the SLF and flew through the Coriolis structure, and then inside the slot. Well, I kind of got stuck there, and couldn't free my SLF. Loitering is a crime punishable by death, and just the SLF is not enough. The corvette wasn't fast enough to get out of range of the station, and it got destroyed, together with a load of Ceremonial Heike Tea, that couldn't be distributed among new players to ward of the Cerberus Plague, and ... my Elite SLF-Pilot.

The salt will be supplied when we find out why that Corvette was so cheap to rebuy.
It was one of these heavily discounted Vettes you can buy at Hutton Orbital. It's on the shelf right next to the free Conda. 😅

Just checked, rebuy is 36M. Damn. That was one expensive pirate hunt. Now I'll probably be Duke by end of this week, but then won't have the credits for the Cutter anymore. Expect my next post to be headlined "so I flew my new Cutter without having the CR for a rebuy...". You guys wanted salt, you'll get salt. 😆

Trading in a T7 interdicted by a wing something and two eagles, engaged brave sir Robin, fast forward same wing again, fleeing as before, lose shields, taking module damage, not looking good, says authorities show up and keep pirates busy as I jump, arriving at station drop in at 1% hull no shields no canopy, request docking, avoid all the traffic, get through the slot find my pad, a little sideways a little headlock, approach is good steady steady, ha ha I've made it alas no full load very heavy, the gentle landing was still too much exploded on the pad rebuy at the same station

From zakk's post #1 above... "hit the "Feds to the rescue!" button," - was that just the automatic report of crimes against your ship? or is there an Intergalactic 999 (I suppose, 911 in some parts of the galaxy) service that's eluded me?
It was the "report crimes against me" switch. I just like to call it "Feds to the rescue!" button, and essentially it is kind of a Space 911 :)

Spent a good while fitting out a Fed Gun ship with much anti Thargoid dakka, tried a few short test attack runs on a cyclops.

Finally went all out and eventually managed to take one down.

While celebrating and in the rush of victory, didn't realise I was quite... close... to where it exploded... and that cloud of caustic gasses was... expanding outwards somewhat...

I almost made it back to the station before my hull disintegrated and vented me into space...

(This was a good while ago, my first cyclops "victory")

Top Bottom