The Star Citizen Thread V10

Ahh - 3D games in the 80's :D

They certainly existed - Freescape engine anyone? Carrier Command? Battlezone from the 70's?

Actually - playing Carrier Command again provides more gameplay and enjoyment than Star Citizen can currently offer.

In spite of this, I do have respect for the great commercial success that the Wing Commander series achieved. I never cared much for the actual games, though. The stories were hackneyed and derivative (the Kilrathi were clearly ripped off from Larry Niven's Kzin - Roberts even had the gall to put a "Niven Sector" in WCII, so I guess we could give him the benefit of the doubt and call it "homage.") The arcade-style gameplay was too simplistic and repetitive, and the AI was awful.
This x 1000. The Wing Commander games were terrible and it staggers me to this day that people remember them so fondly.

As for the rest about IP theft, I am not in the least bit surprised and shows his moral compass is completely lacking and therefore primed to take advantage of the gullible.

This x 1000. The Wing Commander games were terrible and it staggers me to this day that people remember them so fondly.
It's difficult to avoid the subjective effects of nostalgia. By any objective standard Aqua (of Barbie Girl fame) and Captain Jack are nothing special in terms of quality (and I am being diplomatic here). Yet I cannot but help feeling good when I hear "Barbie Girl" or "Dream a Dream." What's more, I am down for any late 90s era eurodance even though I generally don't listen to pop music.

Same with video games. The experience of "first discovery" will always remain with you. I still vivdly remember the first time I played a PC video game (Simcity 2000); it was like I discovered a whole new universe. I still occasionally play SC2K even to this date. :)

Same here works just fine.....BTW If any of you guys have 300 series you can do paint job for free (certain colours)also some interior changes until 20 of june....I paint my 315p in dark-blue combo so called nightshade.....I guess it looks a bit better now.....

View attachment 134274
Wouldn't it be better to choose a paint job you need to pay for, to keep those dev dollars rolling in and sustain CIG's funding black hole loop?
(Sorry, couldn't help myself ;))

After seeing Hollywood casts in death stranding and now cyberpunk 2077, I can safely say that Crobber is done goofed with squadron 42. That "game" would never get the positive response, especially with it's outdated presentation and 80s style script.

After seeing Hollywood casts in death stranding and now cyberpunk 2077, I can safely say that Crobber is done goofed with squadron 42. That "game" would never get the positive response, especially with it's outdated presentation and 80s style script.
An 80s style script is by no means a bad thing. Cyberpunk 2077 is highly likely to be inspired by literature and films from that era. A cheesy 80s script can even be really good if done right (e.g. Turbo Kid - a homage to 80/90s post-apocalyptic movies made in 2015). The bigger problem with SQ42 is that so far CIG's writing seems to be extremely derivative and based on a hodge-podge of gaming/movies tropes. If you want to go for a classic space opera feel, you need to focus on lore, settings and gameplay that make you feel like a character in Asimov's Foundation novels (or Star Wars). That means multiple star systems, distant space travel, epic space battles and perhaps even a retro take on information technology.

But Roberts doesn't seem to be able to focus and keeps trying to make a fusion of every scifi trope in existence. He made the same mistake with the Wing Commander movie. I don't think he has learned anything from his mistakes.

If you want to go for a classic space opera feel, you need to focus on lore, settings and gameplay that make you feel like a character in Asimov's Foundation novels (or Star Wars). That means multiple star systems, distant space travel, epic space battles and perhaps even a retro take on information technology.
Its not really my thing, but SQ42 and SC have insane amount of lore.

An 80s style script is by no means a bad thing. Cyberpunk 2077 is highly likely to be inspired by literature and films from that era. A cheesy 80s script can even be really good if done right (e.g. Turbo Kid - a homage to 80/90s post-apocalyptic movies made in 2015). The bigger problem with SQ42 is that so far CIG's writing seems to be extremely derivative and based on a hodge-podge of gaming/movies tropes. If you want to go for a classic space opera feel, you need to focus on lore, settings and gameplay that make you feel like a character in Asimov's Foundation novels (or Star Wars). That means multiple star systems, distant space travel, epic space battles and perhaps even a retro take on information technology.

But Roberts doesn't seem to be able to focus and keeps trying to make a fusion of every scifi trope in existence. He made the same mistake with the Wing Commander movie. I don't think he has learned anything from his mistakes.
It's not going to be the whole thing without robots finding loopholes in the three laws, though. :)

Its not really my thing, but SQ42 and SC have insane amount of lore.
So looking at the lore, here, what I see immediately is the first two slides feeding Robert's ego by using his own name, and his own privately named company as the basis for his sci-fi fantasy lore.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I can't think of a less desirable way to introduce new lore.

Edit: Ok, I lied. It would be worse if he had a character called the Mule as an integral part of the lore.

Last edited:
Top Bottom