The Star Citizen Thread V10

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

Goose4291

Banned
Well, according to their development plan and the ships currently in the game there will be multiple ways to get around that will cut down on travel time.

• Olisar to ArcCorp 15 minutes for a small ship / 4 minutes for a large ship / most likely less than 2 minutes for a capital ship
  • Public transport for players to get around with
  • Ship transport services
  • Player created ship transport services through carriers
  • In-system jump points as shortcuts within systems for some ship sizes (Rumors, no facts)
  • Improved quantum drives (not sure if even A rated quality drives are in the game atm)
  • Oversized quantum drives for short-medium range at cost of heat and fuel (Avenger Titan can use a S2 quantum drive for example)
It can also be well used for how missions are presented where there are plenty of missions created for small ships around a planet and it's moons and the larger ship you have the longer range mission you can take since the travel time would be equivalent between larger planets across a system.

• Small ships = Local Planet and Moons
  • Medium Ships = Local Planet Cluster in system
  • Large Ships = System to System mission
  • Capital = Multi-System Travel
Now, when/if/how those mechanics gets put into the engine unless they are revised and completely changed that is another issue entirely.

newbies are getting shafted right at the start of the game, lol.

Kind of works for the combined arms aspect of Carrier Ops... in space (Which Chris is a massive fan of, judging by his previous games).

Look at it this way, if this results in a 'big daddy' carrier (such as that Kraken thing they teased a while back) acting in a support role, lugging around the heavy alpha damage dealing fighters, EW craft and bombers, acting as a hub of control disseminating intel gleamed from medium range AWACS craft and providing those craft embarked a closer location where they can replen after each sortie, surely this is a good thing for group v group mechanics, which seems to be where they're steering their mechanics.

At least it means you're unlikely to run into whole squadrons of cookie-cutter ship of the month, in the manner you seem to get with Elite.

Well, i guess it's CIG who decides what counts as a puddle, small lake, huge lake, the ocean.
Yeah... It perfectly fits the narrative we're used to: win, release, verse, simulation, 1000+ concurrent players, refund, pledge, sale, LTI, game, netcode, never done before... CIG decides what lies beneath every word they come with, whatever if those have meanings to begin with.

Easy to always be right and never be accountable for anything when you shape the reality to fit your own agenda.

Last edited:
Yeah... It perfectly fits the narrative we're used to: win, release, verse, simulation, 1000+ concurrent players, refund, pledge, sale, LTI, game, netcode, never done before... CIG decides what lies beneath every word they come with, whatever if those have meanings to begin with.

Easy to always be right and never be accountable for anything when you shape the reality to fit your own agenda.
Like every other gaming company in existence.

Goose4291

Banned
Yea, we will instead stumble into an Idris/Kraken battlegroup and get attacked by 20+ people at once. =P

That's kind of my point. Such dynamics mean that you need a fully fleshed out 'battlegroup' with all the components I listed (and everyone filling their roles). Its much better (both aesthetically and gameplay wise) to see two groups consisting of 1 Nimitz Carrier, 1 E-2 Hawkeye, 8 Intruders and 10 Tomcats each doing their thing to achieve victory than 40 FDL's in two teams all trying to get maximum alpha damage on the other side.

Of course not, i said they had a plan for it, not that it was done, nor did i say they would actually do it, merely that they had a plan for it.
Kind of works for the combined arms aspect of Carrier Ops... in space (Which Chris is a massive fan of, judging by his previous games).

Look at it this way, if this results in a 'big daddy' carrier (such as that Kraken thing they teased a while back) acting in a support role, lugging around the heavy alpha damage dealing fighters, EW craft and bombers, acting as a hub of control disseminating intel gleamed from medium range AWACS craft and providing those craft embarked a closer location where they can replen after each sortie, surely this is a good thing for group v group mechanics, which seems to be where they're steering their mechanics.

At least it means you're unlikely to run into whole squadrons of cookie-cutter ship of the month, in the manner you seem to get with Elite.

I will never pilot any ship in ED that is not fit into medium landing pad, I don't want big ship... so that mean in SC players like me are forced to endure crappy travelling mechanic forever, also say goodbye to exploring with small ship too.

I will never pilot any ship in ED that is not fit into medium landing pad, I don't want big ship... so that mean in SC players like me are forced to endure crappy travelling mechanic forever, also say goodbye to exploring with small ship too.
Nope...there's the Freelancer which is well within the capabilities of the proposed (but not yet implemented) ability to earn in game fairly quickly...a bit like the Cobra3 or perhaps a Python in E-D. There's also the Freelancer DUR which is supposed to be an explorer variant.

Let's not get into the P2W argument here again...just as an aside, we all know you can buy the ships to shortcut the earning effort...and most new backers tend to pick the $150 Freelancer as a starter package for some reason.

Besides the Freelancer, there is the cheaper, (both in game and via store) more versatile Cutlass Black with the same size QT drive, decent starting off cargo capacity and more than adequate speed/combat performance...it's my goto ship for anything and a true multirole.

Last edited:
That's kind of my point. Such dynamics mean that you need a fully fleshed out 'battlegroup' with all the components I listed (and everyone filling their roles). Its much better (both aesthetically and gameplay wise) to see two groups consisting of 1 Nimitz Carrier, 1 E-2 Hawkeye, 8 Intruders and 10 Tomcats each doing their thing to achieve victory than 40 FDL's in two teams all trying to get maximum alpha damage on the other side.

I would suspect that a group of people in individual ships would ride roughshod over a group of people in a few bigger ships.

I tried to discuss this on the SC sub not long ago though, and looks like the hardcore really are wanting this multicrew floor mopping experience, while personally i want to fly my own ship.

It also makes it that much more niche, possibly so niche that you won't have enough people for a battlegroup.
You can simply compare ArmA (battlegroup) vs Counter Strike (pewpewpew) player base sizes. Or WoT or WT (arcade) vs WT (realistic) or some pure realistic panzer sim. Arcade stuff will always will be more globally popular. It's why SC has FPS - because it hopes it can bring enough casual players that way (and so far is failing miserably).

I would suspect that a group of people in individual ships would ride roughshod over a group of people in a few bigger ships.

I tried to discuss this on the SC sub not long ago though, and looks like the hardcore really are wanting this multicrew floor mopping experience, while personally i want to fly my own ship.
The hardcore and idiotic Napoleon Bonaparte type Org dreamers want this...everyone else wants the same as you and I do ;)

Goose4291

Banned

As Mole says, there's ways to address or circumvent the issue, it's just you've got to accept your ship limitations. As an Adder pilot, folk like you and I have to play to the niches of our own ship choices. I'm fairly sure for example that you wouldn't announce ED was dead to you because it's unlikely you'll ever be in the top ten of a trade CG because people are using a Type 9 and you're not, or an Anaconda rigged for exploration can jump to Colonia quicker than you can.

I get what you're saying, but I think it depends how it's handled in terms of the gameplay.

As I've regularly said, I used to play WWII Online back in the day. A well ran, fully crewed Destroyer could make mincemeat out of a similar number of pilots in planes trying to bomb you, and likewise an experienced Heinkel He 111H-2 crew could mop up any number of Spitfires sent up against it.

It also makes it that much more niche, possibly so niche that you won't have enough people for a battlegroup.
You can simply compare ArmA (battlegroup) vs Counter Strike (pewpewpew) player base sizes. Or WoT or WT (arcade) vs WT (realistic) or some pure realistic panzer sim. Arcade stuff will always will be more globally popular. It's why SC has FPS - because it hopes it can bring enough casual players that way (and so far is failing miserably).

You can't compare them, you are right.

However a decent number of people as a fanbase seem to be onboard for this type of gameplay judging by the pledged numbers and the like, and speaking personally, if I had to choose between a game of ArmA and CS, I think you can guess where my interests lie.

I would just say though, as you've mentioned ArmA, (spitballing) I wouldn't be surprised if SQ42 acts as a 'gateway drug' for this type of gameplay for quite a few casuals, in the same way DayZ did for the ArmA experience.

Goose4291

Banned
The hardcore and idiotic Napoleon Bonaparte type Org dreamers want this...everyone else wants the same as you and I do ;)

Let 'em get on with it. I'll be down on the docks with my RSI Totally Not A PowerLoader(TM) unloading Caterpillar pilots cargo for them. ::D
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
As Mole says, there's ways to address or circumvent the issue, it's just you've got to accept your ship limitations. As an Adder pilot, folk like you and I have to play to the niches of our own ship choices. I'm fairly sure for example that you wouldn't announce ED was dead to you because it's unlikely you'll ever be in the top ten of a trade CG because people are using a Type 9 and you're not, or an Anaconda rigged for exploration can jump to Colonia quicker than you can.
This is not about the issue with niches, this is about affecting one of the most important things of the gameplay. You don't need to be top ten of a trade CG - you can do something else or be lower rank and still get nice reward and spent time. You don't need to jump to Colonia fast (and in Bubble you can get anywhere fast even with Adder). But if you want to run 95 % of the activities in the game before your gaming time is over, you need reasonably fast supercruise.

Imagine if Adder took 15 hours instead of 90 minutes going to Hutton and faster SC ships would be sold for money ("just for now, we swear you can buy them for credits... later") with everything else in SC scaling accordingly. I don't even want to imagine how much backlash would FDev get for that.

I get what you're saying, but I think it depends how it's handled in terms of the gameplay.

Yes, for those who are wanting a multicrew experience this will be important. For those of us who don't have hours to spare linking up with others and doing stuff together, the solo life it will have to be. And to be honest, i don't want to play second fiddle to a whale or be beholden to someone else as to where i go and what i do. If i'm on someone's ship and we are in deep space and the Captain decides we are going to Arccorp, and i want to go somewhere else, its not like i will be able to just say, no thanks, and get off. I'll be stuck on that ship or have to suicide (potentially respawning a long way from where i want to be and have to call a ship in, and wait for an immersion timer)... and then we run into the whole "Death of a spaceman" idiocy.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom