The Star Citizen Thread V10

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I do find the fondness for FTR here kinda odd. I'd say 90% of the people in this thread complained about the old flight model and "turrets in space".

FTR is savagely tearing into that point of view, one I pretty much agree with.

Time stamp to the savagery.
If you open the Live Chat Replay at that timestamp, you'll see my comments disagreeing with him.

TL;DW: the flight model was bad, and now it's much worse. IMO, of course. But hey, it's still in Alpha so the best time to give feedback.

Does it actually matter for cig? What would happen?
Presumably any services hosted by Amazon via Lumberyard would need replacing and there would be no more code updates/support from Amazon.

I'm not sure it would be the end of the world for CIG by a long way. Probably just require some extra work from them. Nothing that can't be fixed with a good concept ship sale.

I do find the fondness for FTR here kinda odd. I'd say 90% of the people in this thread complained about the old flight model and "turrets in space".

Its not preference. You are right this point has been brought up mutliple times in this thread, I made it a point to +1 these points. And I also remember the old flight model being praised as "superior to EDs" often enough and defended as being great.

FTR is entertaining in the same way Derek Smart is. They hand out some much needed pay-back for the witch-hunt they went through at the hands of the SC fanatics. Unlike DS tho he doesnt simply bash SC and antagonizes people for the lols. The flight model was bad, is bad and continues to be bad. He just continues to point it out. People become tired of his unchanging message yet fail to direct their frustration at the source.....CIG has to provide what they promised and the tune would change.

New people discovering FTR certainly will wonder about the open hostility and name calling in his videos. But frankly, they are clueless in this regard and simply lack context. I was there when FTR had a change of heart, mainly because he was suddenly (without his own doing) alienated by the greater community. Being a fanboy before remaining silent about a lot of things (because thats what fanboys do...they focus on the positive and gloss over the negative) he started to call out things as they really are and he was swarmed by cultists same as DS, his comment sections were LIT whenever he released a new video. Tho he didnt get the same treatment DS got years before that. So him using the occasional slur or cuss word or giving white knights and shills a good rubbing is well deserved in my eyes. God knows I would do the same if I ve lived through that treatment.

You can of course just keep your view and remain civil and polite. Sadly, almost nobody can do that, this thread has 2 or 3 of these people and you are not one of them. FTR could be much worse, using his videos as a platform to vent his revenge but thats not what he is doing. He occasionally slips into a rage or states things as they are....in a society where cuss words are used for all kinds of things not uncommon I guess.

Not sure what "fondness" you mean when you say it like that. FTR has no fan base here, I m not going to defend whatever he says as truth and praise him as a messanger of any kind. But when it comes to SC related covering he is one of the few who covers BOTH sides and actually makes me listen. If you know of anybody else who does this...please share because Twerk simply tries to hard to subdue his critical side in favor for clicks tho he self-proclaims himself a critic (lol) and goes on for eternity to apologize for it.

Maybe you forgot but Star Citizen is very very late. And regardless of any progress being made its missing so much of its % before we can even consider as release forcing us to redefine "release" or any other kind of established term. CIG doesnt really show an inclination to change and rather continues with their routine that brought us to this point in the first place.

I d say a little "savagery" is deserved and probably much needed at this point.

Does it actually matter for cig? What would happen?
One of the ways CIG is getting out of their obligations to Crytek is saying "Nuh-Uh, we're using I can't believe it's not Cryengine Lumberyard". If that shut down, well, they'd be asking Crytek to use Cryengine again or rolling their own.

One of the ways CIG is getting out of their obligations to Crytek is saying "Nuh-Uh, we're using I can't believe it's not Cryengine Lumberyard". If that shut down, well, they'd be asking Crytek to use Cryengine again or rolling their own.
If lumberyard shut down cig or any dev using it can't just continue? Is that how this thing work?

If lumberyard shut down cig or any dev using it can't just continue? Is that how this thing work?
One thing that Lumberyard provides is a connection with AWS. I don't think that magically dissapears, but it will be on CIG to support that as and when Amazon make changes to their API and stuff.

Shields have been reworked to add major differences between manufacturers and classifications with the goal of providing a difference in feel and value.
Size 1 shields have had their health pools readjusted and regen reworked. For size 1, shields now stop regenerating on hit and once a set period of time passes without further strikes, the shields will began to regen again. The functional goal of this is to limit shield regeneration during a fight and have the shield work more to stop the enemy doing significant damage right at a fight's outset. There is one exception, ASAS (manufacturer) shields constantly regenerate, but have a reduced health pool
Size 2 shields work similar to before, but now with more difference between manufacturers. At size 2 there is no damage delay, low regeneration, and a large health pool.
Size 3 shields have very large health pools and regeneration rates, with the goal of requiring multiple ships working together to overcome their regen.
No P2W here, sir, move along!

One thing that Lumberyard provides is a connection with AWS. I don't think that magically dissapears, but it will be on CIG to support that as and when Amazon make changes to their API and stuff.
If Amazon dumps Lumberyard then CIG are in all sorts of interesting territory (assuming that they are still using the product). They'll stop getting updates, which is one thing, but will also lose support which is potentially a more difficult problem to solve. As anyone who does anything in corporate/professional IT, support contracts with software suppliers are vital.

Assuming that this happens, where will they go to for support? Third parties? Point being that CIG have pretty spectacularly burned bridges with CryTek so they have no chance of returning to them for support without settling the court case at a minimum.

Oh, and it seems amusing that Amazon are looking at Lumberyard critically is because it cannot support high player counts. CIG could have told them that for free years ago! 🏆

EDIT: I work in corporate IT and use various middleware tools as part of my job. Without a support contract 1) I'd be screwed and 2) the software supplier would not have to deal with the, erm, creative ways that I can break things!

I just watched a bit of the video from your timestamp, why are the scatter rocks de-spawning as you walk towards them? OMG. Aren't details supposed to be generated as you get closer not the other way around?

You don't understand... you know the drill.

Quite on par with the cart before the horse development strategy at work at CIG though :)

Oh boy, they also figured out just now, that using single player engine for MMO is not a great idea...

now I wonder maybe at 2022 Amazon will stop to support AWS for Lumberyard...so next big "Excuse Tech" for CI (G) is engine switch..again...maybe back to Cryengine :D

FTR's views on the flight model aside...I find his overall take on SC roughly similar to my own.

I never liked the old flight model since I fly with a HOTAS and play flight simmy things outside of SC...mouse/KB just doesn't do it for me when flying ships...To quote the Yamiks, it's an immurrrsion type of thing...plus it feels about as natural to me flying with M/KB as it does trying to to pull my underpants on with pliers whilst wearing welders gloves, not that I've done it of course...but you get the picture.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom