The Star Citizen Thread V10

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Some folk don't see the point of it...and I get that...but to be honest here, players that would find the walking about bit irritating in SC would find the same in Fallout 4 or Skyrim

Woah there Moley, can’t let that one go ;). I get what you mean on the ESO bunnies, but there’s no way SC currently has the ‘radiant’ content or embedded stories in its world assets to warrant a comparison to Skyrim/Fallout ambles. In those games a foot wander leads to bespoke content or faux-emergent gameplay around every corner. And the landscape is often designed with ‘what’s around that corner’ in mind... (the lit up room in the abandoned tower, the improvised hovel down a steep bluff etc).

SC has a few caves, I’ll grant you that ;). It’s hella shy of even butterfly gameplay on the walking world front though...

Much like the status of the "game". Is it released ? is it not ? is it alive ? or dead ? Or a quantum superposition of these states ?

Well, ask a sceptic, a hater, a white knight, a fan or a critic the same question and you probably get all the answers above.

In short, it's in flux (which kind of makes sense since it's "in production" which is the closest status we have)

I think what is good about walking in the Elder Scrolls games though is not only the graphics, but also how anything can happen as you do so, and quite regularly. From interesting locations to NPCs with quests or random dialogue.

It works well because while the map is generally large, there is a lot of content crammed into the world.

Its been a while, but i recall climbing a random peak and on the top was a tower, with an NPC that kicked off a quest. In another case, walking down a random road, met a dog (or a peddler and a dog?) and IIRC, the dog turned out to be one of the chief daedra or something, and again, another quest ensured.

While Skyrim got boring for me after a while, there was never a dull monent when you just went off wandering in the wilds.

As far as i can tell, there is nothing like that in SC. Walking is just taking you from A to B, with nothing unexpected occuring.

Woah there Moley, can’t let that one go ;). I get what you mean on the ESO bunnies, but there’s no way SC currently has the ‘radiant’ content or embedded stories in its world assets to warrant a comparison to Skyrim/Fallout ambles. In those games a foot wander leads to bespoke content or faux-emergent gameplay around every corner. And the landscape is often designed with ‘what’s around that corner’ in mind... (the lit up room in the abandoned tower, the improvised hovel down a steep bluff etc).

SC has a few caves, I’ll grant you that ;). It’s hella shy of even butterfly gameplay on the walking world front though...
I'll concede that one too...but a walking simulator is just that and SC's mechanic of the walking bit isn't that bad comparitively... ;)

I've noted more than a few comments here and there on why Star Citizen's walking is far worse than any other particular title with or without walking...that it serves absolutely no purpose, or detracts from the ship side of things... which isn't the case at all. If anything, it conveys a sense of scale with the game world relative to you.

Like in my reply to Fritz...the walking bit is just that and as much part of the core as the ships are, it's neither irritating nor pointless, it's what the project is designed around. I tend to view it like I viewed the walking bits from Mass Effect...it's a similar experience in a way although there's not quite as much footwork involved as in Mass Effect...amongst a load of other minor details... like gameplay :D

I must admit, I do like being able to get out of the ship...or walk around inside the ship. It's never got tiring for me. One thing that always makes me pause is when I'm in a 3rd person view from outside the ship looking back into the cockpit...you already know seeing your avatar in the pilot seat that he walked through the door behind him and climbed into the seat...you know what's behind the door to the cockpit, how far it is to the elevator or crew compartment, you know you fit in the crew beds...if not a unique perspective, it's certainly one that still makes me nod with approval at how Ci¬G have implemented it despite the obvious and still troublesome physics problems associated.

Edit: One thing I meant to mention in my post with the loading times video...I posted it more to highlight that the video was mine and run on a fairly average PC, from someone who can be erstwhile critical of Star Citizen and not from some paid shill with a god machine supplied by Ci¬G to show off SC in a more favourable light than normal home and garden PC's could realistically achieve. I only wish I had a similar length video run from HDD to show as a comparison...same machine with only an SSD added.

Last edited:
I'll concede that one too...but a walking simulator is just that and SC's mechanic of the walking bit isn't that bad comparitively... ;)

I've noted more than a few comments here and there on why Star Citizen's walking is far worse than any other particular title with or without walking...that it serves absolutely no purpose, or detracts from the ship side of things... which isn't the case at all.

Like in my reply to Fritz...the walking bit is just that and as much part of the core as the ships are, it's neither irritating nor pointless, it's what the project is designed around. I tend to view it like I viewed the walking bits from Mass Effect...it's a similar experience in a way although there's not quite as much footwork involved as in Mass Effect...amongst a load of other minor details... like gameplay :D

I must admit, I do like being able to get out of the ship...or walk around the ship. It's never got tiring for me.

For sure, I can see how purely walking around all those scenarios could be immersive. It was just the ‘walking gameplay’ aspect that made the Fallout/Skyrim parallel feel a bit shonky ;)

Last edited:

I've noted more than a few comments here and there on why Star Citizen's walking is far worse than any other particular title with or without walking...that it serves absolutely no purpose, or detracts from the ship side of things... which isn't the case at all. If anything, it conveys a sense of scale with the game world relative to you.

I must admit, I do like being able to get out of the ship...or walk around inside the ship. It's never got tiring for me. One thing that always makes me pause is when I'm in a 3rd person view from outside the ship looking back into the cockpit...you already know seeing your avatar in the pilot seat that he walked through the door behind him and climbed into the seat...you know what's behind the door to the cockpit, how far it is to the elevator or crew compartment, you know you fit in the crew beds...if not a unique perspective, it's certainly one that still makes me nod with approval at how Ci¬G have implemented it despite the obvious and still troublesome physics problems associated.

Edit: One thing I meant to mention in my post with the loading times video...I posted it more to highlight that the video was mine and run on a fairly average PC, from someone who can be erstwhile critical of Star Citizen and not from some paid shill with a god machine supplied by Ci¬G to show off SC in a more favourable light than normal home and garden PC's could realistically achieve.
And then one day Elite's FPS will get released and we will watch how it's claimed by thousands of players that it's pointless, bad, useless, etc, etc, while voices like yours (immersion) will be drowned out. Because Elite is a released game, while SC is alpha.

Last edited:
And then one day Elite's FPS will get released and we will watch how it's claimed by thousands of players that it's pointless, bad, useless, etc, etc, while vocies like yours (immersion) will be drowned out. Because Elite is a released game, while SC is alpha.
I'll be playing E-D with added space legs just the same as everyone else here ;)

As far as i can tell, there is nothing like that in SC. Walking is just taking you from A to B, with nothing unexpected occuring.

True, until they add any kind of NPC's that actually move and have some kind of life of their own it will be very emty.

• The "settlements" need to be larger (or as i call them, a small selection of containers with airlocks)
  • NPC's need to be added
  • Far more random locations are needed on each planet

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom