The Star Citizen Thread V10

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
You guys exaggerate, seriously.

Yup you are right - we exaggerate. Next time the PU goes wonky and devours itself in a RAM sink I won't be gentle and say it's a 70Gb hog, I'll be brutally honest and say it's the 90Gb RAM sink that it is.

I no longer have PTU access (oh I wonder why that is!) but my friend does - and some of our latest testing over a few afternoon beers led to some serious head scratching. The file handling and extraction / cache process seems fundamentally broken. RAM handling is fundamentally broken. Network socket handling and wait/response times are fundamentally broken. Some of the spawned network connections are unused or have responses in the dozens of seconds.

And there isn't even a game.

Yup you are right - we exaggerate. Next time the PU goes wonky and devours itself in a RAM sink I won't be gentle and say it's a 70Gb hog, I'll be brutally honest and say it's the 90Gb RAM sink that it is.

I no longer have PTU access (oh I wonder why that is!) but my friend does - and some of our latest testing over a few afternoon beers led to some serious head scratching. The file handling and extraction / cache process seems fundamentally broken. RAM handling is fundamentally broken. Network socket handling and wait/response times are fundamentally broken. Some of the spawned network connections are unused or have responses in the dozens of seconds.

And there isn't even a game.
Surely you exaggerate!

:)
Edit: btw, I found Freelancer poopoo, I didn't like the flight model, I filled that period with Vendetta Online, If you don't know it, check it out, they are still running smooth ;)
My nephew and two of his friends created Vendetta Online. I didn't know it was still in operation. :p

Hey guys, I've played the original Elite on my Amiga 500, loved it. Played Elite 2 Frontier on my Amiga 4000, loved it. Played Wing Commander on my Amiga 500 and CD32, Played WC 3 and 4 on my mac. Been here for a while, backed the ED kickstarter (and SC), what a blast after the Elite 4 rumours, you know. Thing is, I'm enjoying ED (to bad I can't switch around from PC to PS4 and vice versa, but doesn't matter) I felt obliged to put this here before I say this:

I realy love Star Citizen and where they are going. I realy enjoy every build I've played. You guys exaggerate, seriously.

Edit: btw, I found Freelancer poopoo, I didn't like the flight model, I filled that period with Vendetta Online, If you don't know it, check it out, they are still running smooth ;)

Yeah, we exaggerate a lot, but there again, so do CIG :D

Last edited by a moderator:
And that's a big difference. They exaggerate to obtain more money while people here exaggerate solely to poke fun.

And the backers exaggerate to lure in more backers.

Like their penchant for talking in the present tense when talking about possible future things.

And that's a big difference. They exaggerate to obtain more money while people here exaggerate solely to poke fun.
I’d like to think the people here cast a critical eye on the questionable business practices,lack of progress,quality and the fact that this game still languishes in alpha after 9 years and a 1/4 billion has been raised.
If it’s not a scam they seem to be ticking all the right boxes.
It’s a classic scam,increase perceived value with the hard sell.
If SC was on steam for 27,000 how many takers do you think they’d get?

I’d like to think the people here cast a critical eye on the questionable business practices,lack of progress,quality and the fact that this game still languishes in alpha after 9 years and a 1/4 billion has been raised.
If it’s not a scam they seem to be ticking all the right boxes.
It’s a classic scam,increase perceived value with the hard sell.
If SC was on steam for 27,000 how many takers do you think they’d get?
If SC goes on steam I will buy a copy 😆

Yup, and that was my point earlier. STOP FEEDING and he'll eventually have to release it for actual sale to make money on it AS-IS. I love the detail they put into it but I couldn't really care less about actually using the toilet and noticing each and every bolt holding the panels to the wall.
The artists at CIG are doing a honest marvelous job, never said anything different, the project management is dog poo, and the codes under the hood is at best taped together with chewing gum and shoestrings.

That's cool, who is your nephew? John? I used to have a lot of fun in that game from the early 2000's till ED got released.

Yup, John's my nephew. Small world/universe, huh? He and his two friends created it from scratch before Kickstarter was created, as I recall. Being true geeks, they even set that game up to run on Linux.

Last edited:
Yup, John's my nephew. Small world/universe, huh? He and his two friends created it from scratch before Kickstarter was created, as I recall. Being true geeks, they even set that game up to run on Linux.

Cool, when I started playing, it was released on Windows, Mac and Linux. They've also added Android, iOS and OculusGO support now. It's pretty amazing that everyone plays on the same server. They did a real good job with that game. I might even reinstall it now out of nostalgia :)

I'm always amazed that so few people in the spacesim community know about this little gem.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom