The Star Citizen Thread V10

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Maybe I should post that old SC manual excerpt again…

…no, not Star Citizen (202x), but Strike Commander (1993), where the same kind of language and ignorant grandstanding was already apparent. :D

It’s like devs all of a sudden had thought “hey guys, we have been mucking around for almost 8 years and haven’t been able to deliver the core element of this space sim game... let’s just copy something we know it works and be done with it...”
Would be hilarious if we discovered that they actually used the money they got to buy all their backers Elite Dangerous LEPs a while ago and ate the rest. Game delivered! 😂

Would be hilarious if we discovered that they actually used the money they got to buy all their backers Elite Dangerous LEPs a while ago and ate the rest. Game delivered! 😂

So...buy a license of the Elite Dangerous engine and assets and then spend several years adding first person and planetary landing and perhaps get that done faster than Frontier while replacing all the ships.

Hmm, not impossible, it's not like Elite has gone 1st person and full ship interior and atmospheric planets yet so they still have time.

CR is probably freaking out on what DB has planned for ED. If it’s legs their SC could be scuppered.
The best they can hope for is their player base hangs around long enough for CR’s vision and that means making the core elements work.
Time to take the rose tinted glasses off and actually make a playable game with what they have now.
Going on past performance I don’t think they can do it.

It would be smart to look at Elite and mimic some of it great game play, just add the SC fidelity to it. Trading, exploring, and combat are good foundations in Elite.

For trading: just like Elite now, you require 3rd person tools to find the trade, hopefully they will get rid of that. Like I believe Elite is finally doing after the community has been asking for it, forever.

For Exploring: please don’t go as big as the whole Universe. Its pointless. We are we at, less than 2% discovered. Stay small with more POI.

For combat: PVE Combat is pretty good. But, Elite is to much airplanes in space. So they could improve upon that.

So yeah, if they mimic these traits add SC flair, they would become a winner.

Guest193293

G
CR is probably freaking out on what DB has planned for ED. If it’s legs their SC could be scuppered.
The best they can hope for is their player base hangs around long enough for CR’s vision and that means making the core elements work.
Time to take the rose tinted glasses off and actually make a playable game with what they have now.
Going on past performance I don’t think they can do it.

It's already ruined actually even without Elite having space legs. Most of the hard SC fans do not sees it and do not care anyways as they are completely absorbed and in trans with Robert's 'vision' and what CIG promised.
I mean we are talking about an actual tech demo here versus a fully released game lol.

Chris did exactly what David wanted to avoid and has avoided since the beginning; half-baked solutions.

"We’ve said things like going down to planet surfaces, walking around inside your spaceship, getting out of your ship..
if you think of the work to do each one, it’s a major new-game-level of content. And so we’re just trying to take that seriously. We don’t want to do half-baked solutions."

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be smart to look at Elite and mimic some of it great game play, just add the SC fidelity to it.
“SC fidelity”, huh? :D

Why would you intentionally want to make something so much less functional and connected with reality other than as a joke? I mean, sure, you would pretty much have to rip out the complexity of anything they crib from ED to make it fit with the simplistic arcadeish feel of the rest of the game, but to describe that as an “addition” doesn't sound entirely accurate.

“SC fidelity”, huh? :D

Why would you intentionally want to make something so much less functional and connected with reality other than as a joke? I mean, sure, you would pretty much have to rip out the complexity of anything they crib from ED to make it fit with the simplistic arcadeish feel of the rest of the game, but to describe that as an “addition” doesn't sound entirely accurate.

LMAO. Elite complicated? Wow, put down the pipe!

LMAO. Elite complicated?
Compared to SC yes. Massively so. Hence why they'd have to dumb everything down to make it fit into the Fisher Price® activity set that CRobber is tinkering with.

Wow, put down the pipe!
You first, what with that notion that SC should in any way be connected to the word “fidelity”.

For trading: just like Elite now, you require 3rd person tools to find the trade, hopefully they will get rid of that. Like I believe Elite is finally doing after the community has been asking for it, forever.

In my opinion, there's only one way to do this. Make the trading so convoluted (and remove API) that it can't be exported. Otherwise 3rd person tools will always be better than the in-game ones. There's no buts, no counterplay, nothing the devs can do - the 3rd party tools will always win, because they have more manpower, more time, more resources and more testing. If you improve the in-game tools, the only thing it will cause is to improve the 3rd party tools and people will stay there.

Well, ED hasn't completly avoided half baked solutions: engineers 1.0, powerplay, CQC arena...

But I'll agree it's still light years ahead of SC.
The point is it didn't do them intentionally, all of those were supported to be better, but failed to do so; and in some cases that can't be predicted.

Compare that to Star Citizen and Tier 0 implementation everywhere [Tier 1 delayed indefinitely], and it makes you wonder about what is going to be so revolutionary and fidelitious...

You first, what with that notion that SC should in any way be connected to the word “fidelity”.
Fidelity accurately describes the relationship of Citizens to the project. There is a certain fidelity in the animation to get out of bed, the helmet flip and the fluid in a whisky glass. There is a huge level of detail in the ships, but that is detail and not fidelity since they are not based on real craft.

The half baked pieces in ED are mostly down to careful budgeting of development time. If you focus too much on budget you get a half baked solution, because you miss out on the development time to do it right. The flip side is that if you don't budget, nothing is ever finished and you are into constant rework which is where SC currently is..

just add the SC fidelity to it.

MajorHealthyFrenchbulldog-max-14mb.gif

Ayeeee....

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator

If you want to have an idea how Star Citzen can fill an evening for you and decide if that type of gameplay is your thing or not....here is an actual good example (warning....deteriorates into a chat room for long periods of time)
6 hours recording, really?

6 hours recording, really?

it was a live stream of his and at least its an unedited video without breaks or mock-ups....the game as it is it seems. Missed all the fun to be honest. The couple dogfights I witnessed looked incredibly boring, the FPS moments as unfinished and unrefined as I would expect from a true tech demo....to be honest when I watch footage like this I cant really believe some people here who praise SC for its advanced design and whatnot....talk about reality female-dog-slapping those stories...

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom