The Star Citizen Thread V10

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
When I see the size of that ship and the idea of spacelegs and possible FPS inside the ship as it moves through space / QT / whatever, I can say "That is a serious undertaking to make that work". Just a bit of rubberbanding in "The other game" is enough to make ship to ship combat feel like clown shoes, without having maybe 10 or more folks running round a ship.

I suppose someone with more programming knowledge could explain that it is all meshes and rigs, so computation of every single one of those pixels positions is not really going on in real time every clock cycle...?

Oh and you park like my wife in a multi-storey... True fact, there are some things in life a Volvo V70 will come off worst against!
To be fair to the devs at Ci¬G, that vid was probably showing the worst performance related issues I've had in a session for a good while with the stuttering etc. Usually there's 3 or 4 of us faffing around in the bigger ships, jumping in and out of turrets, opening doors and stuff with very little lag related issues...until like in the vid, the server gets 'old' and full of folks from both the EU and the US. The network code is quite clearly struggling once the servers get busy and the code isn't up to it. Usually we switch to a fresh server once the little graphical glitches, non working terminals and other problems start appearing and it certainly smoothes it out. Saying that, this current 3.5 patch has broken a lot of things that were working and brought it's own little issues that make SC a proper pain to experience as it is...I seriously hope they fire out an interim patch to address some of the glaring ones which are game breaking.

As for wandering around your ship and seeing the cargo, jumping out and heading to a trade terminal to sell the stuff...to me, it never gets old. Just the feeling that you're a jobbing cargo pilot heading out to your ship for a day's work...it just has that something. I know a lot of folks who still look at time V credits aspect may not get it, but not being tied to that seat...such a small thing but very big at the same time. As for the FPS in ships...not really my thing although I've had to on occasion whilst chasing would be ship stealers around the Cat with a Plasma rifle. Like most things, there's a fair few folks that imagine space legs to be all about shooting things which is fair enough if you like that sort of thing, for me...it's much more than that...the FPS combat I can get from games much better at it than SC currently is or is ever likely to be...

Parking...I'm normally very efficient, but that Cat is a tight squeeze at Levski and there's no centre beeper like in E-D to help you guess where your ship is in relation to the pad. There's auto-land of course, but that only cuts in when you're a mere few metres from the pad so entirely pointless when you're dropping into a hanger...besides, auto-land is for the new folks, same as the DC is in Elite. ;)

Last edited:
Has the raising of so much money completely unfocused the dev's from what they originally had in mind?
I was watching a streamer the other week and they were getting all moist because they could spend 15 mins walking around the station to find a turtle and take it back to their room!
I'm not a game dev so have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about, but... would it not be better to concentrate on the core parts of the game first, get that nailed and then start adding the blingy bits afterwards?

(Please note: If you're the kind of person who likes to take turtles back to your room I'm not judging:) )
Please dont submit to the fallacy of the Unbelievers. There is still hope for you. As for the turtles: Is all of them all the way down.

As for wandering around your ship and seeing the cargo, jumping out and heading to a trade terminal to sell the stuff...to me, it never gets old. Just the feeling that you're a jobbing cargo pilot heading out to your ship for a day's work...it just has that something. I know a lot of folks who still look at time V credits aspect may not get it, but not being tied to that seat...such a small thing but very big at the same time.

Let me postulate that if you hadn't splurged on other ships, and all you had was a small starter ship, which doesn't even have room for anything more than a box, you might feel a little different ;)

Let me postulate that if you hadn't splurged on other ships, and all you had was a small starter ship, which doesn't even have room for anything more than a box, you might feel a little different ;)
Even when I was brand new and crashing into Olisar in my Aurora...there were always folks like me who are more than happy to lend any ship at any time, not to encourage silly newbies into spending cash on the game but more to show possibilities when the ability to buy your own ships in game with in game credits came came around...it's still not the point you're making and I certainly agree with it, but it is what it is and all for the bad rather than any good.

Persistence...all of us as backers have been demanding it for years. The ability to earn enough credits to buy a ship in game and keep it... we all know why that isn't happening whether we're drinking the Koolaid or not.

That's not the fault of the Devs or SC as a project...that's down to greed and gross mismanagement of resources entirely due to that greed by a Hollywood marketing and sales team. We all hope it'll change, and soon....but none of us are holding our breath :confused:

Apart from the imaginary worlds some cultists and no doubt, Chris Roberts insist on living in, Star Citizen is bleeding backers (both potential and existing) as much and as fast as it's bleeding cash...the one overriding question I heard from newbies during the free fly week was "Why can't I buy a ship?"

The 3.6 patch is introducing ship lending...although not from other players which would simply be of a singular advantage to predatory Orgs or be misused somehow...according to Ci¬G. The ship lending/leasing will be from ship rental shops in game where you can pay aUEC to rent a ship of your choice for set periods of time (From Todd Papy at Ci¬G) This could run from a day to a week or perhaps longer...mission payouts and general prices are being adjusted to enable this as a short term fix for the non persistence...we'll see how that works out and how long Ci¬G are allowed to continue the delaying tactics before being forced to include true persistence in order to retain backers.

Last edited:
You can buy ships with in game credits that you earn in one of the fetch quests that may or may not work. And save yourself some dollar,until an update wipes it from existence 😉

Even when I was brand new and crashing into Olisar in my Aurora...there were always folks like me who are more than happy to lend any ship at any time, not to encourage silly newbies into spending cash on the game but more to show possibilities when the ability to buy your own ships in game with in game credits came came around...it's still not the point you're making and I certainly agree with it, but it is what it is and all for the bad rather than any good.

Persistence...all of us as backers have been demanding it for years. The ability to earn enough credits to buy a ship in game and keep it... we all know why that isn't happening whether we're drinking the Koolaid or not.

That's not the fault of the Devs or SC as a project...that's down to greed and gross mismanagement of resources entirely due to that greed by a Hollywood marketing and sales team. We all hope it'll change, and soon....but none of us are holding our breath :confused:

Apart from the imaginary worlds some cultists and no doubt, Chris Roberts insist on living in, Star Citizen is bleeding backers (both potential and existing) as much and as fast as it's bleeding cash...the one overriding question I heard from newbies during the free fly week was "Why can't I buy a ship?"

The 3.6 patch is introducing ship lending...although not from other players which would simply be of a singular advantage to predatory Orgs or be misused somehow...according to Ci¬G. The ship lending/leasing will be from ship rental shops in game where you can pay aUEC to rent a ship of your choice for set periods of time (From Todd Papy at Ci¬G) This could run from a day to a week or perhaps longer...mission payouts and general prices are being adjusted to enable this as a short term fix for the non persistence...we'll see how that works out and how long Ci¬G are allowed to continue the delaying tactics before being forced to include true persistence in order to retain backers.

You have been able to buy ships in-game for a while now. Certainly not all of them by any means, but the list keeps expanding. There are three places to buy ships in-game now. Maybe they should have just given out a starter ship and 5 million uec for the free fly week.

Goose4291

Banned
Has the raising of so much money completely unfocused the dev's from what they originally had in mind?
I was watching a streamer the other week and they were getting all moist because they could spend 15 mins walking around the station to find a turtle and take it back to their room!
I'm not a game dev so have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about, but... would it not be better to concentrate on the core parts of the game first, get that nailed and then start adding the blingy bits afterwards?

(Please note: If you're the kind of person who likes to take turtles back to your room I'm not judging :) )

314ph9.jpg

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
It is

It is a pretty balanced view on SC indeed... if you consider the project as a snapshot, now, in the vaccum without all of its legacy and history.

I feel that to actually review SC state even more fairly one can not ignore the history of how we have got here and how many resources and time it has taken. This video, with the exception of a few momentary tidbits at the start, lacks that dimension, and all that context I think is critical to really give it the proper measure, because it also indicates how things will probably evolve from here.

Last edited:

Just watched it. I felt a bit confused when after reporting how he battled thorugh the bugs and bad gameplay he somehow felt a sense of achievement. I was like... erm.. ok.

But overall, yes, a very fair review i would say. He tries to highlight what he sees as positive as well as negative.

I'm just amazed the backers aren't out in full force telling him how wrong he is.

Just watched it. I felt a bit confused when after reporting how he battled thorugh the bugs and bad gameplay he somehow felt a sense of achievement. I was like... erm.. ok.

But overall, yes, a very fair review i would say. He tries to highlight what he sees as positive as well as negative.

I'm just amazed the backers aren't out in full force telling him how wrong he is.

Who wouldn't feel a sense of achievement after battling through bugs and bad gameplay for 6 months and still having a will to live at the other end?

I thought it was quite a good review though

I think we’ve even discussed previously on this thread that SC could have been a fun game, where you survive and play trying to avoid the bugs and glitches - unfortunately some of their bug fix reports over the years suggest they have tackled some of the more fun ones such as the space station taking on the orbit of the rotating ring or most of the death by ramps.
I totally get the video guys report on enjoying the B rating. A bit like the WC movie too!

Today's ATV - whatever - it's full of lulz!

Damage thruster modules! Piercable tech! They still cannot network client server / server client so mix both up get the worst of both worlds! Collectible Nali healing fruit! Eating salad onscreen is fashionable! 890 Jump is erm, a bling ship with didn't remain within their design constraints so they re-re-redesigned it - now with MOAR fidelitous swimming pool.

The re-re-redesigned 890 Jump has. a. swimming. pool.

Do I dare ask?

How do the fluid mechanics in the ship's gravitational field work exactly? The non Newtonian ones which make the water molecules fidelitously cling to your avatar's body? This work the same way fluid molecules get transported away from your derrière in the loo? Or is this in the reverse?

Today's ATV - whatever - it's full of lulz!

Damage thruster modules! Piercable tech! They still cannot network client server / server client so mix both up get the worst of both worlds! Collectible Nali healing fruit! Eating salad onscreen is fashionable! 890 Jump is erm, a bling ship with didn't remain within their design constraints so they re-re-redesigned it - now with MOAR fidelitous swimming pool.
I'm not even going to watch it. My lulz bucket exploded 3 years ago, so now...all the lulz just fall out the holes :rolleyes:

My singular in game task is now to find every whaley-boi that bought one of those flying tart's boudoirs and crap in their pools.

Last edited:
The re-re-redesigned 890 Jump has. a. swimming. pool.

Do I dare ask?

How do the fluid mechanics in the ship's gravitational field work exactly? The non Newtonian ones which make the water molecules fidelitously cling to your avatar's body? This work the same way fluid molecules get transported away from your derrière in the loo? Or is this in the reverse?

You'd think they'd prioritise collision detection first, like fixing players falling though floors. Ie. Make their engine do what every other engine does out of the box. I suspect 64 bit positioning wasn't as easy as they thought. :oops:

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom