The Star Citizen Thread V10

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Ahh - the heady days of way back (cuffs back a tear) https://www.pcgamer.com/chris-rober...l-never-be-dumbed-down-for-a-lesser-platform/

Problem is - it doesn't really matter what platform they develop for. There is still no game, and what there is runs like something stinky on even ridiculous PC builds that cost more than new cars. Remember when the more enthusiastic backers were blaming weak rigs and poor internet connections for the completely abysmal performance? Well, some people got together and built completely ridiculous rigs as a collaborative effort and plugged direct into an enterprise internet backbone just to show it made not one iota of difference. Even on enterprise kit it stunk. I know this, because I remember it, because I was one of them.

Just how poorly it'll perform on a console, even a next-gen one that isn't a netbook with a pretty ribbon and bow for show, remains to be seen - but it's going to be hilarious :D
I love the fact in his quote he referring to the PS4/Xbone as next gen and both are due to be supplanted next year, and still no game... :unsure:

No need for much imagination, I just outlined the different basic scenarios that can explain how a server is full. A server being full does not tell us much about overall concurrency levels. You on the other hand seemed to have chosen only one possible scenario and thereby jumping to baseless conclusions. Which leads me to:

It is really not a matter of whishing anything, it is just a matter of facts: Do you have any actual figures for concurrency in the SC PU or are you just making up your own facts?
Nah mate, I just play the game every day.
You know... for fun.
Kinda like I used to do with Elite Dangerous.

But then I'm an avid PvPer, so the only figures I'm really interested in are the ones affecting ship and weapon performance.

I'll leave the worrying about player counts to you guys, unless I run out of victims...

I love the fact in his quote he referring to the PS4/Xbone as next gen and both are due to be supplanted next year, and still no game... :unsure:

Kind of delicious isn't it? An entire generation of gaming hardware comes and goes, and CI-G cannot deliver even one game in that timeframe.

But then I'm an avid PvPer, so the only figures I'm really interested in are the ones affecting ship and weapon performance.

I'll leave the worrying about player counts to you guys, unless I run out of victims...

There's no worry my dear Zaphod! Nuking PvP-pro-bro scrublets in SC is just as easy as it is in any other game where nuking PvP-pro-bro scrublets is necessary and/or just fun to extract their tears for lulz.

Last edited:
In the end playing a game should be fun, Turret gameplay in ED or SC is not fun, the problem in ED is the very simplest mechanics and in SC is just because until now there is not a game per say.

Turrets should only be in big ships that can't roll on a dime, big freight ships or military dreadnaughts or remove the turret gameplay all together, and use small drones you launch and can use instead like controllable missiles. I don't see how a 3rd person view is even remotely fun.
Or slow everything down a bit (in terms of accelerations, not speed of course), make it "world of warships IN SPACE !" and have tons of fun still. There's also the issue that lasers in SC actually move really slow, slow enough that some ships can actually dodge them. A bit more "realistic" lasers like in Elite Dangerous would help a lot on the target tracking from turrets for instance. Or if they insist on keeping slow moving projectiles, then have a go at the warships in space approach. At least, that would make a lot more sense.

Kind of delicious isn't it? An entire generation of gaming hardware comes and goes, and CI-G cannot deliver even one game in that timeframe.

There's no worry my dear Zaphod! Nuking PvP-pro-bro scrublets in SC is just as easy as it is in any other game where nuking PvP-pro-bro scrublets is necessary and/or just fun to extract their tears for lulz.
Uhuh. Pretty sure I saw you on my E: D kill list.

Kinda hard not being a scrublet when you're always playing drunk, eh? :ROFLMAO:

Uhuh. Pretty sure I saw you on my E: D kill list.

Kinda hard not being a scrublet when you're always playing drunk, eh? :ROFLMAO:

Playing drunk isn't just a choice, its a lifestyle :D

And ill say this, if you are looking to SC for PvP, then its going to have some possibilities. For the moment though, PvE play is badly lacking.

Perhaps CIG should really capitalize on this, acknowledge that getting a lot of the PvE stuff in is going to take a long long time and focus on fleshing out the PvP possibilities of the game. That way it would stand apart from ED instead of being in its shadow.

Playing drunk isn't just a choice, its a lifestyle :D

And ill say this, if you are looking to SC for PvP, then its going to have some possibilities. For the moment though, PvE play is badly lacking.

Perhaps CIG should really capitalize on this, acknowledge that getting a lot of the PvE stuff in is going to take a long long time and focus on fleshing out the PvP possibilities of the game. That way it would stand apart from ED instead of being in its shadow.
Agreed.

I lost something like 150k uec the other day trying to play space trucker.
A peaceful life is just not in the cards for 'ol Zaphod.

checkmate FUDster! :D

Yeah, that vid, and the stretch goals, aren't ageing well ;)

Even the most die-hard of backers has already knocked the '100 systems at launch' rook off the board though. Some have cast their '1000 player shard' queen to the side too. I bet there's at least one concierge member who has doubts about the 'personal pets' bishop. And others who think the 'landing on Earth' knight is full of horsecrap. Some even whisper that the 9:1 army of NPC pawns, with Nemesis System emergent narratives & persistent background activities, might end up a bunch of mindless battle fodder....

It's shocking, I know.

I think against that backdrop, letting the PC Master Race crown slip wouldn't be seen as conceding the game. (Lord knows how many pieces would be left on the board though ;))

Last edited:
Jokes aside, its currently in alpha 3.5 beta for SC is an unknown same as release, we got a beta date for SQ42 for end of 2020 tho so theres "some" sunhine ^^

Dam you Agony Aunt, You owe me a new piggy bank. I smashed mine and raced off down Woolworths only to find that not only had Woolys gone bust but it was all a ruse!!!!!

Some even whisper that the 9:1 army of NPC pawns, with Nemesis System emergent narratives & persistent background activities, might end up a bunch of mindless battle fodder....

No idea what the "Nemesis System" refers to (the only thing that comes to mind is the cyborg movie Nemesis by Albert Pyun), but there is no way that the 9:1 NPC thing or Roberts' emergent AI theorycrafting is going to be implemented. The level of complexity and detail implied in Robert's 9:1 NPC model was 5 years ago, it is now and it will be in 5 years too.

No idea what the "Nemesis System" refers to (the only thing that comes to mind is the cyborg movie Nemesis by Albert Pyun), but there is no way that the 9:1 NPC thing or Roberts' emergent AI theorycrafting is going to be implemented. The level of complexity and detail implied in Robert's 9:1 NPC model was ** 5 years ago, it is ** now and it will be ** in 5 years too.

Oh - Nemesis was part of the procedurally generated enemy entity in Shadow of Mordor, a 3rd person slasher.

It basically generated NPC's with a name, a look, a title and some speech routes they went through when you met them again after they had killed you, and there was a higher-tier gameplay based around killing them all off.

It wasn't exactly ultra-impressive stuff - but console peeps went nuts over it, perhaps possibly because none of them had played games with procedurally generated NPC's before. They've been around for a long time.

No idea what the "Nemesis System" refers to (the only thing that comes to mind is the cyborg movie Nemesis by Albert Pyun), but there is no way that the 9:1 NPC thing or Roberts' emergent AI theorycrafting is going to be implemented. The level of complexity and detail implied in Robert's 9:1 NPC model was ** 5 years ago, it is ** now and it will be ** in 5 years too.

Behold the vision of Chris Roberts! Over 4 years ago:

Yes. Absolutely, that’s actually a core part of the PvE FPS gameplay mechanic we’re designing for the PU. We’re coming up with a really cool mission building system for the PU, Tony talked a little about it earlier, but missions won’t necessarily be stand-alone, some will interlink, or drive into other ones. We’ve got an awesome NPC/Boss-NPC system, if anyone has player Shadow of Mordor and liked their nemesis system, this takes it another level beyond that, it’ll add a much more personal level of interaction, your actions will effect those NPCs and those around you etc. Plus, global ones that affect all the players, so some pirate that might be your nemesis could gain enough infamy that he becomes the pirate lord in that system, where all players can go after him. We’ve got a really cool system worked out for all of that, blending into the economy. Part of this is to create encounters, such as going to a set of ruins, where graverobbers might attack you, or a derelict mining station that might have pirates that’ll attack. There are going to be a whole bunch of that gameplay both on the ground and in space that’ll allow for solo or co-op play that stretches beyond the PvP or general PvE gameplay that you can do. We will definitely have the ability to do the “dungeon raid” with your friends, but it’ll be more reactive/interactive/spawned by the PU and integrated into it more than you’d see in other games.

Oh - Nemesis was part of the procedurally generated enemy entity in Shadow of Mordor, a 3rd person slasher.

It basically generated NPC's with a name, a look, a title and some speech routes they went through when you met them again after they had killed you, and there was a higher-tier gameplay based around killing them all off.

It wasn't exactly ultra-impressive stuff - but console peeps went nuts over it, perhaps possibly because none of them had played games with procedurally generated NPC's before. They've been around for a long time.

Hey, I was PC peep and I liked it ;). Especially the amount of effort they put into the presentation (insane amounts of audio + suitable motion tagged to character, always in-keeping with the physical look of the starter model, with stacking references to past encounters).

The mechanics were thin (add resistances / fears based on past encounters, iirc). But the dedicated effort was clearly large. Which made Chris throwing it out there as "oh we'll top that easy" in another Ten for the Stretchman ep yet another sign of giddy talking before walking...

Hey, I was PC peep and I liked it ;). Especially the amount of effort they put into the presentation (insane amounts of audio + suitable motion tagged to character, always in-keeping with the physical look of the starter model, with stacking references to past encounters).

The mechanics were thin (add resistances / fears based on past encounters, iirc). But the dedicated effort was clearly large. Which made Chris throwing it out there as "oh we'll top that easy" in another Ten for the Stretchman ep yet another sign of giddy talking before walking...

Oh definitely - it was fun for it's time - and finding out some random NPC who stabbed you suddenly turned into Rushak the Maggotlord or whatever, definitely generated lulz. Thing is - how can CI-G take this mechanic and apply it to their own project? How is Genuine Roberts going to take a system that caters to individual player actions with specific NPC entities and develop a interaction path that applies equally to all players in the scene in a meaningful way?

My guess is he can't - and it's all waffle.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom