The Star Citizen Thread V10

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Okay, with the comments it makes more sense, but that's still an.. interesting choice of a launch. I mean I have no IR Tracker or anything similar but never had problems with looking up in an ED ship cockpit and find an opening xD And we had a pretty competent parking radar, which I assume is present in SC as well. So as much as I like to fling excrement at SC, this is more a pilot error then shortcomings of the flight model then. Or just really bad keybinds for looking around.

regardless if its the "right" or "wrong" way to start (always distracting from the actual problem and making it the users fault) it demonstrates how bad SCs flight model currently is by resulting in absolutely unrealistic manouvers and failing to provide a sense of mass or acceleration.

"Those aint the problem dude, you are just doing it wrong!"

....yeah.....

because its one of the latest SC related vids

I admit I havent watched it in full, but the first minute already bore me to tears and the comments overall make me think its a propaganda tool. I have posted a fair bit so far awaiting backlash and reactions. I just thought it might inject some activity in our boring SC bashing :D:D:D:D

Oh definitely - it was fun for it's time - and finding out some random NPC who stabbed you suddenly turned into Rushak the Maggotlord or whatever, definitely generated lulz. Thing is - how can CI-G take this mechanic and apply it to their own project? How is Genuine Roberts going to take a system that caters to individual player actions with specific NPC entities and develop a interaction path that applies equally to all players in the scene in a meaningful way?

My guess is he can't - and it's all waffle.

What's CR's nickname, anyway? Magpie? That dude is always salivating at the thought of implementing somebody else's ideas, even though he has absolutely no clue how it was done, or how easy/hard it would be to implement for his games (sic!). Unfortunately, he seems to believe that announcing something is the same as actually DOING something, or even (heaven forbid) delivering it.

Pity. I would have liked SQ42, or Star Citizen, but as it is, CR is not getting a penny from me.

Last edited:
What's CR's nickname, anyway? Magpie? That dude is always salivating at the thought of implementing somebody else's ideas, even though he has absolutely no clue how it was done, or how easy/hard it would be to implement for his games (sic!). Unfortunately, he seems to believe that announcing something is the same as actually DOING something, or even (heaven forbid) delivering it.

Pity. I would have liked SQ42, or Star Citizen, but as it is, CR is not getting a penny from me.

From all the pro-SC posts and arguments I have seen over the years a lot of the pro community seem to have the exact same understanding.

I ll pick up one question of his before I closed the video because watching him fumbling around trying to find the "perfect mix" of being neutral irritated me. Also I refuse to be thrown into the same cauldron as the SC community at large. The community wouldnt accept me as a part anyway so much for Twerks definition.

"I m not sure what the negative side of the community tries to accomplish"

It should be a given why people do it if you think about it for a bit but just in case some people really need an answer to this.

There are of course several reasons to be negative about Star Citizen.
- trolling: there currently is hardly an easier target then SC fanboys to trigger with trolling posts. Do a video or throw in a comment and watch how drama errupts and the same old horse is dragged from its grave and beaten to death again. Trolls come in all forms and shapes. Some take the negative approach, others act like white knights or fanatics....depending on where they are active. This is another group of people Twerk thinks are "part of the community" yeah sounds about right.....
- realists: I would add Mole as an example for this group as he follows the game, is invested, likes the project but isnt too far gone to deny or refuse the obvious flaws and problems and also reports viable gameplay experiences unlike other more fanatic posters. I m sure Mole aint too popular whenever he speaks up and provides his view about the things he thinks are bad or need fixing. By all means he is positioned in the "neutral" core siding toward positive but for what its worth that isnt important to people when he says something that isnt praising SC. He will be pushed to being a hater or whatever same as everybody else who speaks ill of SC
- no-bullcrappers: this is everybody who is able to remember what CIG has promised and advertised in the past and constantly compares what we get against what we expected. A large percentage of posters in this thread are part of this group. They disregard the vision and future theories and stay with the "now" aka facts which is worlds apart from the stuff the fanboys drink. Some of these people are interested in the game itself, others are more into project management but we even had folks participating because the human psyche shows all its facets within this topic. People of this group usually call CIG out on what they missed to provide and call things as what they are and are often pushed out to the "haters" for it
- do-ers: some people point out flaws and mistakes, lies etc to affect change. Being a yes-men and constantly defending every action of CIG is not supporting change nor does it allow it. Some (a whole lot) things need work but in order for CIG to learn about whats important to the community it must be adressed...and sometimes in strong words too. You dont have to become disrespectful but if the flight model is crap then you should be able to call it exactly that without fanatics coming out of the woodwork claiming that its "better then this other game". Defending CIG only allows them to stay the course and prevents improvement. I m not sure how many kiddies are part of the SC community but due to the fact that a lot of adults never grew up I d say "a whole lot".. Never forget that DS started out as somebody who simply pointed out irregularities and flaws and was crucified for it...even punished by CIG itself.

I was thinking about adding "haters" to the list but I m really unable to identify any. Derek Smart who many will probably think of as a hater is really more of a troll. In order to "hate" something you need to have a motivation that invokes that feeling. Generally speaking people hate other people or things that wronged them somehow or threaten them. Star Citizen never did anything to me. I have no reason to "hate" Star Citizen. My life will not change nor be affected by Star Citizen becoming the next great game or a failure. Based on this definition I have some good reasons to "hate" certain individuals of the SC community due to their behavior and replies towards me. As was said in the past...the toxic community of Star Citizen is responsible for most of the negativity surrounding the project at this point by alienating a lot of neutrals and skeptics to a degree that calls for retaliation.

"Hate" in Star Citizen therefore comes down to internet wars with other people. The project is of no importance. It merely provides the ammunition to fuel this conflict aka "trench war". And blatantly speaking....CIG has provided a lot of ammo to the "haters" in this war forcing the white knights to retreat into delusion or fantastic scenarios which are so far off that they can be rightfully called "deluded". I do think that many of these "delusional" folks dont really believe what they say themselves. Its just a human reaction to say "anything" to "win" an argument...that includes making up facts on the fly completely disconnected from reality.

Toxcicity is a behavior pattern. Everybody can become toxic occasionally, that doesnt make him toxic in general. But Star Citizen triggers a certain group of people reliably who must have a reason or motivation for becoming toxic when faced with questions or criticism. We have discussed these factors a lot in the past so I dont need to repeat old stuff.

Just an example that even people who talk a lot of trash (like Twerk in that video....) make me think about certain things and evaluate myself and my behavior in order to keep a realistic grasp on the situation and not become toxic myself as a reaction.
Great analysis as always +1

I work with project management as my main job, however when I got attracted to SC back in 2012/13 i loved the idea of a open world/universe where I could immerse myself into and become the person I as a boy would like to be.

I actually "invested" a nice chunk of money in SC, around $3000 USD went into that hole, now as time passed, my professional alarm bells started to sound the alarm, and I drifted into the arms of ED, from a professional point of view the company was much more tight and managed, I even bought shares in the company, and made a nice profit on it, also got some inside information because of that. SC became a toe crunching experience and in 2015 I finally got my refund after a long and hard "negotiation" with CIG. I love the artwork, the details on the ships CIG has done, however I'm not buying anything unless they release a gold version of the game, maybe SQ42 is a game I would buy, but it has to be ready.

That's why you need VR. Just lean forward and you can see all round.

VR is a thing in SC, right? Just the flick of a switch?

There are people who use VR, and headtracking is awesome in both Elite and SC.

Answer from youtube:

No, it plays pretty smoothly, but the bigger issue is the hardware that you plan on running it off of. Bigger is better when it comes to power for VR rigs, so having better GPU and CPU will allow for better rendering in general, but the bigger bottleneck is Star Citizen itself, needing a load of RAM to run smoothly. 16g is nice, 24 is great, 32 is best. The game itself will run around 7-8g easy, add ur system/OS resources and thats another 3-4, that and chrome with a few tabs is maxxing out 16g systems these days.

I was going to mention the Adder and i think Hauler a bit, but apart from those, struggling to think of any others with such restricted views.
I kinda shudder to think how that pilot would try and take off in a Cutter. Just imagine the scraping sound as they bang the back of the ship into the landing pad trying to point the ship upwards.

cbs3aHj.jpg

A blast from the past.
Out of $300 million raised CIG claim $250 million would go to development.

In the Traditional PC Model 1/5th of the box price goes towards development so for $250 million to be spent on development would require a publisher to forecast sales of 20.8 million copies ($1.25 billion in sales).

But as CIG are years from completing the "Vision" assume they need another $200 million, which would bring total development costs to $450 million, requiring sales of 37.5 million copies ($2.25 billion in sales).

After 6 1/2 years they have around 1.1 million backers.

cbs3aHj.jpg

A blast from the past.

In the Traditional PC Model 1/5th of the box price goes towards development so for $250 million to be spent on development would require a publisher to forecast sales of 20.8 million copies ($1.25 billion in sales).

But as CIG are years from completing the "Vision" assume they need another $200 million, which would bring total development costs to $450 million, requiring sales of 37.5 million copies ($2.25 billion in sales).

easy right?

.........right?

cbs3aHj.jpg

A blast from the past.

That would put them in the top 10 best selling games of all time.

There are people who use VR, and headtracking is awesome in both Elite and SC.

VorpX is not "VR support" though. There is a massive difference between relying on a third party janky solution which CIG have nothing to do with.

One of these games has "supported" VR natively since Alpha with specific graphics settings, UI and control support, 3D sound support for HMD, with interface elements and even tutorials specifically made for VR and is considered something of trail-blazer in the VR community.

The other made lots of promises about VR to the press, used it as a "stretch goal" they still haven't delivered on and once delivered an Oculus DK1 solution in which the eye pieces were the wrong way around relying on users to update it correctly themselves and have never touched it since.

It's a bit like saying ED has Linux support because it runs in Wine.

If Star Citizen is going to support VR as promised they are going to have to do some major rework.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom