The Star Citizen Thread V10

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
This honestly saddens me. I like how the ceiling opens, the little bits of smoke, that fellow walking around etc. But the way the ship moves, I just don't understand it. Sure, ED is widely praised for its flight model, so I am not expecting SC to beat that. But this also looks worse than X4 (or X:rebirth). And NMS. Hell, this looks worse than Evochron and that was cobbled together by one dude.

I like the flying in ED.

I like the flying in SC (and hope some of the acceleration comes back)

I am actually playing NMS for the first time right now. I like the game, but absolutely hate the flight model.

I had a look back at the old email from the period. In fairness here the actual quote from them:

"Looking back over the production cycle of the entire project, we are very much nearing the finishing line, and as a fellow backer I am very excited for you to see what is in store this year that is yet to be revealed."

Then they banged on about losing perks and such and how they couldn't give me a refund bleh bleh. Which I eventually got by using the standard defences.

The "nearing the finish line" was what was telling me "full release" I think it was a fair assumption to make with the clouds of time :) This was all summer 2016 and here's 2019 summer and nowhere near any sort of finish line by any reasonable definition Haha

I don't see any real difference between nearing the finishing line and full release. Either way it was an attempt to keep you in by misleading you to believe some sort of finished product was coming.

Also, jeebus, that "as a fellow backer" part.

How low can CIG sink?

They make EA look postively good.

Sorry but don't put the blame on CryEngine please. First person controller was great, still has one of the best body awareness, even zero g levels were more satisfying than SC Eva (and Prey is even better at it), ground vehicles and even vtol, if not very fidelicious, were robust and fun. So I bet a more focused team and managed accordingly would have put a more robust, enjoyable and versatile flight model since long.

CIG has a long history of breaking things down. They'd probably had totally messed up Unreal Engine if they had chosen it.

Noted, I dont know nearly enough aboäut the engine in order to justify my comment. It just appears that CIG uses a lot of out-of-the-box mechanics from cryengine. The movement behavior seems to fit. That doesnt mean cryengine cant do good movement. Its just that CIG didnt manage to get it out of their own tools.

I like the flying in ED.

I like the flying in SC (and hope some of the acceleration comes back)

I am actually playing NMS for the first time right now. I like the game, but absolutely hate the flight model.

Yeah, the press throws NMS on the same heap as spacesims like Elite and Star Citizen, but NMS is not a space sim.
In my opinion it has no real flight model. And that is fine. It is a different genre.

Last edited:
Whilst I admittedly haven't seen anything like that in the PU...it does have it's moments, quite a lot of them...but hey, if it wasn't for the dodgy physics, we'd have nothing to make Youtube and twitch vids about, would we? :)

Last night...my mate, Mash. "Mole...there's something deeply wrong with your posh captain's bed in this ship mate."

Oops, 'sweary Scottish person moment' warning for the delicate little petals of virtue among us.

Last edited:
Yup...but the medium to big ships do have this thruster/acceleration lag on all flight axes whilst the small fighters still don't..they're still point and shoot mini turrets and invariably flying those small fighters with a HOTAS, I have to constantly over correct or fight the flight model due to the massive digital thruster output even with analogue input from the HOTAS.

The larger ships, like I mentioned, fly similarly to E-D Anacondas/Cutters or T9's...especially in the case of the Starfarer Gemini which takes a mile to stop using reverse thrusters. The thruster input/output is still too digital but not as bad as it was.
I get you i have a Freelancer and a Retaliator. My point stands yet, even with the Tali, and flying a HOTAS (Warthog and pedals here), the flight model exhibits zero second order movement. Manoeuver thrusters have infinite instant power, meaning you pull the stick, the ship instantly goes from zero rotational speed to its nominal rotational speed (as in, "digital movement" as you say). There's no "ease-in" that would be mandated by actual physics, so say if mav thrusters have a given fixed thrust (even with instant thrust availability !) you will have a progressive acceleration to nominal manoeuver speed, then a linear movement, then an 'ease out' once you stop, and all that depending on the thrust vs mass of the ship. The absence of that "ease in / ease out" is what is totally jarring on the video of that small ship taking off. Ships should feel substantially more "floaty" especially when in space, and then a bit tighter when flying at speed in atmo (due to atmo giving an increase reaction to movements).
What i suspect is ships still have zero mass and the flight model is a "baked in" set of variables, that give the desired manoeuver speeds, and that they never implemented the promised 2nd order movements. The result is ships moving like you are moving a mouse pointer. I guess it's to satisfy the "fps crowd" but that's definitely not good for a space sim.
Note that it's not asking the moon here, KSP has everything done right in that regard, ED too, and Jumpgate definitely did.

I gotta say ever since the Evocati CIG certainly treats its regular PU (which basically IS an alpha test bed) like the fully released version of the game. Regardless what their intention was (ego stroking, additional artificial delay, more money leeching) the evocati test group looks like a complete waste of time and resources to me.

I gotta say ever since the Evocati CIG certainly treats its regular PU (which basically IS an alpha test bed) like the fully released version of the game. Regardless what their intention was (ego stroking, additional artificial delay, more money leeching) the evocati test group looks like a complete waste of time and resources to me.

Its a nice touch to have exclusive alphas within alphas to produce the pandering effect.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator

Early build acces (PTU testing) generates subscriptions and Evocati contributes to that process with early warning, exclusivity feeling and hype. Can´t say how effective it is at it, but imo that is really its main purpose now. Given how buggy, glitchy and ustable live builds end up anyways I dont think Evocati really helps much as testing ground.

Last edited:
Everyone hates publishers for rushing games out the door but Star Citizen is what game development looks like without a publisher to crack the whip.
It's the ultimate irony and inevitable outcome of Chris' fundamental incompetence.

The project that was supposed to utterly shatter the notion that publishers are needed and that they only act as a greedy money sink ends up being by far the strongest argument in their favour, demonstrating that they are utter amateurs as far as greedy money-sinking goes. The exact opposite outcome of the intended one.

Seemingly, the 3.51 bug fix patch is with the evocati...according to an email from Ci¬G this afternoon.
Is the contents known at all ? Are they fixing the most glaring issues that make running the alpha a chore ? At the moment nothing incites me to spend more than 5 minutes in there...

Just watched Black Mirror S04E01. The number of times it made me think of SC backers is quite funny.
Gonna have to watch that now.

On a completely unrelated note, I recommend watching the highly entertaining documentaries of Fyre, Fyre Fraud, Behind The Curve, and The Inventor Out For Blood In Silicon Valley.

Gonna have to watch that now.

On a completely unrelated note, I recommend watching the highly entertaining documentaries of Fyre, Fyre Fraud, Behind The Curve, and The Inventor Out For Blood In Silicon Valley.

Lots of parallels to be seen in Going Clear as well.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom