The Star Citizen Thread V10

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
After seeing Hollywood casts in death stranding and now cyberpunk 2077, I can safely say that Crobber is done goofed with squadron 42. That "game" would never get the positive response, especially with it's outdated presentation and 80s style script.

After seeing Hollywood casts in death stranding and now cyberpunk 2077, I can safely say that Crobber is done goofed with squadron 42. That "game" would never get the positive response, especially with it's outdated presentation and 80s style script.

An 80s style script is by no means a bad thing. Cyberpunk 2077 is highly likely to be inspired by literature and films from that era. A cheesy 80s script can even be really good if done right (e.g. Turbo Kid - a homage to 80/90s post-apocalyptic movies made in 2015). The bigger problem with SQ42 is that so far CIG's writing seems to be extremely derivative and based on a hodge-podge of gaming/movies tropes. If you want to go for a classic space opera feel, you need to focus on lore, settings and gameplay that make you feel like a character in Asimov's Foundation novels (or Star Wars). That means multiple star systems, distant space travel, epic space battles and perhaps even a retro take on information technology.

But Roberts doesn't seem to be able to focus and keeps trying to make a fusion of every scifi trope in existence. He made the same mistake with the Wing Commander movie. I don't think he has learned anything from his mistakes.

If you want to go for a classic space opera feel, you need to focus on lore, settings and gameplay that make you feel like a character in Asimov's Foundation novels (or Star Wars). That means multiple star systems, distant space travel, epic space battles and perhaps even a retro take on information technology.

Its not really my thing, but SQ42 and SC have insane amount of lore.

An 80s style script is by no means a bad thing. Cyberpunk 2077 is highly likely to be inspired by literature and films from that era. A cheesy 80s script can even be really good if done right (e.g. Turbo Kid - a homage to 80/90s post-apocalyptic movies made in 2015). The bigger problem with SQ42 is that so far CIG's writing seems to be extremely derivative and based on a hodge-podge of gaming/movies tropes. If you want to go for a classic space opera feel, you need to focus on lore, settings and gameplay that make you feel like a character in Asimov's Foundation novels (or Star Wars). That means multiple star systems, distant space travel, epic space battles and perhaps even a retro take on information technology.

But Roberts doesn't seem to be able to focus and keeps trying to make a fusion of every scifi trope in existence. He made the same mistake with the Wing Commander movie. I don't think he has learned anything from his mistakes.
It's not going to be the whole thing without robots finding loopholes in the three laws, though. :)

Its not really my thing, but SQ42 and SC have insane amount of lore.

So looking at the lore, here, what I see immediately is the first two slides feeding Robert's ego by using his own name, and his own privately named company as the basis for his sci-fi fantasy lore.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I can't think of a less desirable way to introduce new lore.

Edit: Ok, I lied. It would be worse if he had a character called the Mule as an integral part of the lore.

Last edited:
I was just watching the E3 trailers 2019 and I occasionally thought "SC is so dead....". Oh well maybe 2020 Roberts will announce a new star role in the upcoming SQ42 game "introducing SC meets John Wick" or something :) Dig deep whales ^^
I wonder if Mark Hamill, Gary Oldman and others still even have any wonder regarding the game where they were acting on, I mean has any of them even had any thought about where's the game actually is or all of them just happy to get the paycheck and bury their experience working for it?

I wonder if Mark Hamill, Gary Oldman and others still even have any wonder regarding the game where they were acting on, I mean has any of them even had any thought about where's the game actually is or all of them just happy to get the paycheck and bury their experience working for it?

Its been a few years since any of them has participated to work on Star Citizen and the project has since failed to release or create major headlines (apart from all the drama). I m sure they ll remember if you ask them about it but apart from that I cannot fathom them wasting a second of thought on this anymore, Mark probably is prodded occasionally by CRoberts to provide some form of publicity but his latest twitter in this regard (my most liked game is SQ42...lol what?) just shows hes doing whats expected of him (or what he is getting paid for) and nothing more.

They're actors. They would've all been in projects that never released. :sneaky:

Mark Hamill has a lot of experience in the video game industry actually, i expect he knows what it's all about. Still, a paycheck is a paycheck, and he's a professional.

It's on PC. The whole announcement revolves around how Game Pass is coming to PC as an extension of the existing XBox store integration — a lot of what they presented was there to give the game pass a wide lineup on launch.
Didn't know that. I assumed with the Xbox logo it was being released on Xbox :(

I have Gamepass for the Xbox at any rate so at least I don't need to pay for it twice.

Ahh - 3D games in the 80's :D

They certainly existed - Freescape engine anyone? Carrier Command? Battlezone from the 70's?

Actually - playing Carrier Command again provides more gameplay and enjoyment than Star Citizen can currently offer.

Oh, and the original Elite. :censored:

Yes, they did exist, but were very much in the minority. Most "3D" games back then were still sprite based, or had major pre-rendered components as there wasn't the computing horsepower to build complex models in real time.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom