The Star Citizen Thread V10

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
There are pleenty of backers having issues with a civilization creating an entire planet covered with a city within 30 years and hoping that those that write that lore will fix the dates.

• System discovered at -50 years
  • Corporation begins terraform and cover planet with city -30 years
  • Current timeline 00 years
And the OTHER planet in that system has only ONE city and is littered with metal debris almost everywhere all over the planet.

Had they said 500 years since discovery and 300 years of polluting, building and exploiting then i could have bought the lore somewhat.
As pocket sized, and unfidel as it is, the star system of Outer Wilds is richer and more coherent than SC's. Plus: it has a more interesting flight model, meaningful spacelegs and original story, lore and ways to convey them.

Outer Wilds reminds me a lot of Mercenary Damocles and Starglider 2. That you can make great things in tiny space, limited financial or technical means with good knowledge of limitations and clever ways to get around them.

Sorry for the OT.

I'm not at all bothered by the... erm... eclectic nature of the Star Citizen universe. It is just a computer game, and the more experiences you can have as a player the better.
I wouldn't too, if only they were not boasting themselves of fidelitized physicalities, physicalized fidelity, BDSSE, and such...

I was a little more bothered watching that video Sovapid posted where it said they terraformed a gas giant <erk>. I'm all for poetic licence with the laws of physics where it makes gameplay more fun, but why didn't they just say they'd put a station into a close orbit around the planet, or they'd terraformed a moon? It seems like they're getting the science wrong just through lack of research.

The lore writing is rather...irregular...we could say.

I mean, writing "Terraforming" instead of "built a floating city" on a gas giant is a rather humongous directional leap and the city covering of a planet in 30 years...

Sure, they might be extremely technologically advanced in 900 years but both technologically and the sheer logistics of it makes it completely implausible.

I started watching the video...

"In 2038 a man by the name of Chris Roberts founded a company called Roberts Space Industries..."

I stopped watching the video.

For the lulz, I went back to the video and continued. Here's the link with timestamp for those interested:
Source: https://youtu.be/36EV_p7AxJ4?t=108

So continuing...
"In 2038 a man by the name of Chris Roberts founded a company called Roberts Space Industries in the United States of America. Roberts' dream was to become like many of the other private space companies of the time, like Blue Origin and SpaceX."

Really? He has to use other real companies in his lore as well?? I gave the video a few more minutes then gave up again.

So ignoring the epic-level narcissism and megalomania (yeah yeah almost impossible, I know), since his lore is based on real companies, I wonder what will happen when the SC Development timeframe overlaps the SC Lore timeframe. Will he need to rewrite the Lore? I guess the simple answer is that it's a parallel but very divergent universe - ie. in SC, RSI actually does great things. Or another answer might be that whenever we look at SC development in our real world, it's like one of those bizzaro altered reality planes of existence where nothing quite makes sense. Much like this post... time for beer #3... :)

As pocket sized, and unfidel as it is, the star system of Outer Wilds is richer and more coherent than SC's. Plus: it has a more interesting flight model, meaningful spacelegs and original story, lore and ways to convey them.

Outer Wilds reminds me a lot of Mercenary Damocles and Starglider 2. That you can make great things in tiny space, limited financial or technical means with good knowledge of limitations and clever ways to get around them.

Sorry for the OT.

Why apologize? It's related to SC and a comparison to other works.

That said, have we SEEN actual gameplay and flight and how the world in Outer Wilds? I'm curious because the game looks nice.

Sure, it's the 10 minute snippet but it seems a bit little. It feels like a far smaller world and most likely not an MMO so they have limited scale on their side.

Which is the same can kicking as normal.

I'm tired of all this frankly. I want to play an updated Starlancer / WC. Is that too much to ask?
Nope, same here.

I think the issue, something that while it helps CIG in the long run is that both SQ42 and SC shares mechanics. If they had gone with more canned mechanics for SQ42 it should have been done sooner but since they all share the same things SQ42 will need the same stuff except the networking mechanics they have issues with.

Goose4291

Banned
Frontier Development do seem a little more concerned with maintaining a plausible back story. They gave away a novelette with their games and the Kickstarter for Elite: Dangerous included contracts for books. BTW, you say you're an avid SF reader. Have you read any of the Gollancz books? I've read and enjoyed all the Fantastic books, but not from the other publisher. Gavin Deas "Wanted" does look like a cracker of a read, but I've never gotten around to it yet. If you have read it, what's your opinion?

'Wanted' was just LA Takedown/Heat with spaceships. The other two Gollancz books weren't very good either tbh in my mind.

Both Elite and Star Citizen have a long history of lore from which to mine. When both original games were release they were flying a little under the radar, and "borrowing" from movies and books wasn't seen as much of crime... well, not by those who didn't notice it happening, or were that bothered because the size of the game-playing audience at the time. Douglas Adams quite liked the homages paid to him by Elite.

Frontier Development do seem a little more concerned with maintaining a plausible back story. They gave away a novelette with their games and the Kickstarter for Elite: Dangerous included contracts for books. BTW, you say you're an avid SF reader. Have you read any of the Gollancz books? I've read and enjoyed all the Fantastic books, but not from the other publisher. Gavin Deas "Wanted" does look like a cracker of a read, but I've never gotten around to it yet. If you have read it, what's your opinion?

I'm not at all bothered by the... erm... eclectic nature of the Star Citizen universe. It is just a computer game, and the more experiences you can have as a player the better. I was a little more bothered watching that video Sovapid posted where it said they terraformed a gas giant <erk>. I'm all for poetic licence with the laws of physics where it makes gameplay more fun, but why didn't they just say they'd put a station into a close orbit around the planet, or they'd terraformed a moon? It seems like they're getting the science wrong just through lack of research.

The backstory to ED has pretty much been thrown in the bin, whatever it was. Lore has been recut to a point where a lot of people simply don't care about it. We get 3 stories a week with massive gaps, no backstories on important corps or people.

For the lulz, I went back to the video and continued. Here's the link with timestamp for those interested:
Source: https://youtu.be/36EV_p7AxJ4?t=108

So continuing...
"In 2038 a man by the name of Chris Roberts founded a company called Roberts Space Industries in the United States of America. Roberts' dream was to become like many of the other private space companies of the time, like Blue Origin and SpaceX."

Really? He has to use other real companies in his lore as well?? I gave the video a few more minutes then gave up again.

So ignoring the epic-level narcissism and megalomania (yeah yeah almost impossible, I know), since his lore is based on real companies, I wonder what will happen when the SC Development timeframe overlaps the SC Lore timeframe. Will he need to rewrite the Lore? I guess the simple answer is that it's a parallel but very divergent universe - ie. in SC, RSI actually does great things. Or another answer might be that whenever we look at SC development in our real world, it's like one of those bizzaro altered reality planes of existence where nothing quite makes sense. Much like this post... time for beer #3... :)

If backers keep pledging he might be able to start his own real space company.

Can you imagine the clash of egos between Musk and Roberts?

I don't give a monkeys about that frankly. If it makes Double Damage some extra cash via some certainty then I can forgive them for it.
There is that. And i already have an Epic account for some reason and i have two factor authentication on it so it should be fine.

I do think exclusive releases are bad ways to go since it would be far better to spread out sales over more platforms like Gog, Steam,Epic and others. If nothing else you get more exposure.

ok, back on topic - SC is awesome isn't it, =P

There is that. And i already have an Epic account for some reason and i have two factor authentication on it so it should be fine.

I do think exclusive releases are bad ways to go since it would be far better to spread out sales over more platforms like Gog, Steam,Epic and others. If nothing else you get more exposure.

Various platforms fighting for dominance, natural development until the monopoly statues start to take effect.

The carnival tragi-comedy that is SC is like watching a child cry over a dead pet. Its depressing, full of regret and misguided loyalty wishing life into something that can't be remade.

The backstory to ED has pretty much been thrown in the bin, whatever it was. Lore has been recut to a point where a lot of people simply don't care about it. We get 3 stories a week with massive gaps, no backstories on important corps or people.
Because people have massively overblown expectations. They expect massive battles, betrayals and sex scandals like from a huge novel (GoT, anyone?) every goddamn week and then they are surprised they don't get it and instead they get mundane, "realistic" politics and stuff.

Because people have massively overblown expectations. They expect massive battles, betrayals and sex scandals like from a huge novel (GoT, anyone?) every goddamn week and then they are surprised they don't get it and instead they get mundane, "realistic" politics and stuff.

When ED started it had a 'spine' of lore that had a convincing story to it. With that, it had player submitted articles as a supplement. Then that went dark, and now the pattern is for small self contained Galnet articles that go nowhere at all three days out of seven. IIs have very little support from Galnet, and Galnet itself (the biggest tool FD have to give us information) is criminally underused. Stories are not funny, tragic, informative- they don't refer to earlier times except for the biggest of plot points, they don't fill in gaps in lore, they are two dimensional, directionless and paper thin. And when they do have something interesting they throw away any chance of coherence or interest by taking the most mundane route to finish.

Its not hard to write 150 words x 7, or build up a bank of stories that bring in aspects of PP, its leaders, megacorps, superpowers at all levels, not just he said / she said. FD have a giant lore bible, why not actually use it?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom