The Star Citizen Thread V10

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

Goose4291

Banned
I read most of it, for my sins, and hated what I was doing to myself every second. I finally managed to break out of it, but I lost a hefty amount of sanity in the process. Needless to say: the knowledge that both hacks are involved in the newly commissioned "The Sisterhood" series that will accompany the new movie doesn't exactly fill me up with confidence...

Ye gahds. I thought they'd already driven it bad enough into the ground with the Great Schools series of books (which included the Bene Gesserit).

This has all the trappings of being a Star Wars scenario to me.

This is what I meant by overblown expectations in my original post. Imagine the bomb gets detonated - now you'll have the game (forums, etc) flooded with people saying it should be visually and mechanically presented within a game, so suddenly you need to make changes in your game, engine, mechanics, have few devs on it, etc.

We have art assets for damaged stations don't we? If you can god mod a Thargoid attack you can certainly wreck a station. And thats much better then copping out and have nothing happen at all.

The same is with the failed marriage I mentioned - people didn't dislike it because it was boring news, they dislike it, because they expected it would give them goal (EDIT: As I can see even in your post, "players who can then help out"), create some galactic conflict, etc, basically change the sandbox game into a narrative game like Witcher or AC - but that's a huge load of work. Is it doable? Yes, but then we wouldn't get any game development, because there'd be no people left for it, so you'd get other players disgruntled that Elite gets no new content and "the game is dying".

Not all stories have to end with something to do; its just to make Galnet relevant and actually have something to read that shines a light on part of ED.

I can see even in your post, "players who can then help out"), create some galactic conflict, etc, basically change the sandbox game into a narrative game like Witcher or AC

And as I pointed out above, its not exactly rocket science to change a station from normal to damaged due to Galnet. And then that triggers more stories, with the possibility of a CG or II attached to it. Not everything has to be Star Wars or Dune. Simple stuff done well is enough but we never see that. And what are the 100 devs doing? Is one in charge of writing?

If Chris Roberts had written Dune, the series would have consisted of a 600-page introductory chapter that ultimately failed to introduce anything, and all of it would be a poorly ripped off mishmash of misunderstood ideas from Huxley and Wells.

And then he'd direct the movie adaptation just to compound the misery.

For the lulz, I went back to the video and continued. Here's the link with timestamp for those interested:
Source: https://youtu.be/36EV_p7AxJ4?t=108

So continuing...
"In 2038 a man by the name of Chris Roberts founded a company called Roberts Space Industries in the United States of America. Roberts' dream was to become like many of the other private space companies of the time, like Blue Origin and SpaceX."

Really? He has to use other real companies in his lore as well?? I gave the video a few more minutes then gave up again.

So ignoring the epic-level narcissism and megalomania (yeah yeah almost impossible, I know), since his lore is based on real companies, I wonder what will happen when the SC Development timeframe overlaps the SC Lore timeframe. Will he need to rewrite the Lore? I guess the simple answer is that it's a parallel but very divergent universe - ie. in SC, RSI actually does great things. Or another answer might be that whenever we look at SC development in our real world, it's like one of those bizzaro altered reality planes of existence where nothing quite makes sense. Much like this post... time for beer #3... :)

Maybe in the year 2038 when Star Citizen still isn't a a game he takes all the backer money and actually does this and reality becomes Star Citizen...

Last edited:
Mike Brookes used to wear the 'Head of Fiction' hat, as described in this old Meet the Team article (for those who have tuned in recently). I think his other role, Executive Producer, grew to take up all his time, and I'm not sure who wears the Fiction hat now.

It isn't hard to bash out 150 words at a time, as demonstrated by our many forums, but it is a full time permanent job to place them within a multi-year narrative and remain consistent, engaging and stimulate gameplay. Dunno if SC has someone in that role either.
Chris Roberts is the Head of Fiction at CIG. 😏

We have art assets for damaged stations don't we? If you can god mod a Thargoid attack you can certainly wreck a station. And thats much better then copping out and have nothing happen at all.

Players: "Booo, the old damaged asset, this is not how nuclear explosion looks like, you shouldn't have even done this if you don't care"

I.e. "Damned if you do, damned if you don't"

And as I pointed out above, its not exactly rocket science to change a station from normal to damaged due to Galnet. And then that triggers more stories, with the possibility of a CG or II attached to it. Not everything has to be Star Wars or Dune. Simple stuff done well is enough but we never see that. And what are the 100 devs doing? Is one in charge of writing?

This happens all the time, with CGs being connected and/or triggered by Galnet news. As you can see, it's not enough, at least to you.

And what are the 100 devs doing?

Developing the new content, duh ;3

Is one in charge of writing?

Basically that's my assumption, yes. One, two tops, with ideas from others that must go through someone who overviews consistency.

I m not sure she got "cut lose" but she was a real fangirl in the past claiming to have special ties and rapport with Sandi really pushing the advertising for the game and then suddenly she started making ED videos, switched her playtime around with less and less SC until she became a non-factor

Why did they cut her loose? Did that have anything to do with Lucy?

Is this her btw? Nothing else seems to come up since 2013

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/citizens/Batgirl

wiggling nose and ears inquisitively in anticipation of juicy gossip

Yeah, that's her.

No idea on the why. She had Sandi on her vids and she had that Ben's day series going where she would talk to Ben about things. But then Ben was pushed into the background before finally erm... being pushed out or leaving or whatever really happened there. Basically she had no more access to CIG people, so it largely killed her whole channel. She vowed to continue but then didn't do much after that. Not checked her channel in a long time.

CIG seem to have a habit of supporting people who promote them until it no longer suits their purposes. Bad News Barron was also a darling of CIG (he was the one who proposed to his girlfriend at Ctiizencon) but if you check out his tweets it looks like CIG don't really support him any more.

Rexzilla is now CIG's darling, at least for the nonce.

I m not sure she got "cut lose" but she was a real fangirl in the past claiming to have special ties and rapport with Sandi really pushing the advertising for the game and then suddenly she started making ED videos, switched her playtime around with less and less SC until she became a non-factor

Ah, just checked her channel. Yeah, a lot less active. Still doing the odd SC video, but also covering a wider range of games.

Looks like she learned an important lesson, don't put all your eggs in one basket.

There are pleenty of backers having issues with a civilization creating an entire planet covered with a city within 30 years and hoping that those that write that lore will fix the dates.

• System discovered at -50 years
  • Corporation begins terraform and cover planet with city -30 years
  • Current timeline 00 years
And the OTHER planet in that system has only ONE city and is littered with metal debris almost everywhere all over the planet.

Had they said 500 years since discovery and 300 years of polluting, building and exploiting then i could have bought the lore somewhat.
Well if talking decades v centuries, it seems ED has the logistics and environmental stewardship aspects of this right? i.e. making biowaste an actual valuable trading commodity on the galactic market. So that you could actually make a decent living being a full time Hazmat space trucker in the bubble. CI should consider making that more of a playable quest/mission feature perhaps? It would help make the lore more plausible given the degree of environmental pollution a city covered planet would generate.

Also think they should boost the price for biowaste in fronteir sectors far from bubble. Terraforming should be a challenge for humans in deep space. So on average, agriculture products/husbandry/industry should be higher demand/value commodities.

Speaking of trucking, Eurotrucker 2 is on a massive 75% sale discount and down to $5 this week. Think I'll give my Holo Me a change of scenery and do some terran trucking in Sol.

Except the Epic Store exclusive part...
Not necessarily. There is still the Windows store. At least until it's available on Steam. I've never d/l a PC game from the Windows Store, so TOW will make it a first. Hope server support in the store doesn't end up going the way of GFWL....

As pocket sized, and unfidel as it is, the star system of Outer Wilds is richer and more coherent than SC's. Plus: it has a more interesting flight model, meaningful spacelegs and original story, lore and ways to convey them.

Outer Wilds reminds me a lot of Mercenary Damocles and Starglider 2. That you can make great things in tiny space, limited financial or technical means with good knowledge of limitations and clever ways to get around them.

Sorry for the OT.
This. Much the same way R* did with Bully

Yeah, that's her.

No idea on the why. She had Sandi on her vids and she had that Ben's day series going where she would talk to Ben about things. But then Ben was pushed into the background before finally erm... being pushed out or leaving or whatever really happened there. Basically she had no more access to CIG people, so it largely killed her whole channel. She vowed to continue but then didn't do much after that. Not checked her channel in a long time.

CIG seem to have a habit of supporting people who promote them until it no longer suits their purposes. Bad News Barron was also a darling of CIG (he was the one who proposed to his girlfriend at Ctiizencon) but if you check out his tweets it looks like CIG don't really support him any more.

Rexzilla is now CIG's darling, at least for the nonce.
Batgirl's latest video:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M_V6LMwxok

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom