The Star Citizen Thread V10

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
If lumberyard shut down cig or any dev using it can't just continue? Is that how this thing work?

One thing that Lumberyard provides is a connection with AWS. I don't think that magically dissapears, but it will be on CIG to support that as and when Amazon make changes to their API and stuff.

Shields have been reworked to add major differences between manufacturers and classifications with the goal of providing a difference in feel and value.
Size 1 shields have had their health pools readjusted and regen reworked. For size 1, shields now stop regenerating on hit and once a set period of time passes without further strikes, the shields will began to regen again. The functional goal of this is to limit shield regeneration during a fight and have the shield work more to stop the enemy doing significant damage right at a fight's outset. There is one exception, ASAS (manufacturer) shields constantly regenerate, but have a reduced health pool
Size 2 shields work similar to before, but now with more difference between manufacturers. At size 2 there is no damage delay, low regeneration, and a large health pool.
Size 3 shields have very large health pools and regeneration rates, with the goal of requiring multiple ships working together to overcome their regen.

No P2W here, sir, move along!

One thing that Lumberyard provides is a connection with AWS. I don't think that magically dissapears, but it will be on CIG to support that as and when Amazon make changes to their API and stuff.

If Amazon dumps Lumberyard then CIG are in all sorts of interesting territory (assuming that they are still using the product). They'll stop getting updates, which is one thing, but will also lose support which is potentially a more difficult problem to solve. As anyone who does anything in corporate/professional IT, support contracts with software suppliers are vital.

Assuming that this happens, where will they go to for support? Third parties? Point being that CIG have pretty spectacularly burned bridges with CryTek so they have no chance of returning to them for support without settling the court case at a minimum.

Oh, and it seems amusing that Amazon are looking at Lumberyard critically is because it cannot support high player counts. CIG could have told them that for free years ago! 🏆

EDIT: I work in corporate IT and use various middleware tools as part of my job. Without a support contract 1) I'd be screwed and 2) the software supplier would not have to deal with the, erm, creative ways that I can break things!

I do find the fondness for FTR here kinda odd. I'd say 90% of the people in this thread complained about the old flight model and "turrets in space".

FTR is savagely tearing into that point of view, one I pretty much agree with.

Time stamp to the savagery.

I just watched a bit of the video from your timestamp, why are the scatter rocks de-spawning as you walk towards them? OMG. Aren't details supposed to be generated as you get closer not the other way around?

You don't understand... you know the drill.

Quite on par with the cart before the horse development strategy at work at CIG though :)

Oh boy, they also figured out just now, that using single player engine for MMO is not a great idea...

now I wonder maybe at 2022 Amazon will stop to support AWS for Lumberyard...so next big "Excuse Tech" for CI (G) is engine switch..again...maybe back to Cryengine :D

I do find the fondness for FTR here kinda odd. I'd say 90% of the people in this thread complained about the old flight model and "turrets in space".

FTR is savagely tearing into that point of view, one I pretty much agree with.

Time stamp to the savagery.
FTR's views on the flight model aside...I find his overall take on SC roughly similar to my own.

I never liked the old flight model since I fly with a HOTAS and play flight simmy things outside of SC...mouse/KB just doesn't do it for me when flying ships...To quote the Yamiks, it's an immurrrsion type of thing...plus it feels about as natural to me flying with M/KB as it does trying to to pull my underpants on with pliers whilst wearing welders gloves, not that I've done it of course...but you get the picture.

Last edited:
No the in-house magic germans they have that are so effective, numerous and never leave that they have 100+ open positions since years.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...heart-of-amazon-game-studios-development-woes

Speaking with the Wall Street Journal this week after "dozens" of staff were laid off, Amazon game devs anonymously laid out problems facing development with Lumberyard.

Apparently, the engine was not built with multiplayer games in mind. According to one developer, this meant developing Breakaway was like "driving a train while the tracks were still being laid."

"They're still ironing out the kinks of what it means to own and maintain your own engine," said one developer, referring to the Lumberyard team.

Wait! I thought Lumberyard was the engine SC needed and CIG was hand-in-hand with Amazon a that poor Jeff Bezos' employees were having the chance to get help from magic germans as return of favor...

Last edited:
You don't understand game development (!), CIG Star Engine is a separate branch of Lumberyard that also was a separate branch of CryEngine, what could go wrong?

😁

CI-G have already demonstrated ability in this sphere with their Completely Refactored Application Patcher.

A further engine switch here would be as simple as flicking the switch and substituting some logo jpegs. Actually - I could quite see CI-G selling physicalized jpegs and implementing an exciting space ship multiplayer combat game using LOGO ;)

CI-G have already demonstrated ability in this sphere with their Completely Refactored Application Patcher.

A further engine switch here would be as simple as flicking the switch and substituting some logo jpegs. Actually - I could quite see CI-G selling physicalized jpegs and implementing an exciting space ship multiplayer combat game using LOGO ;)
Don't you mean LEGO? :D

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...heart-of-amazon-game-studios-development-woes

Wait! I thought Lumberyard was the engine SC needed and CIG was hand-in-hand with Amazon a that poor Jeff Bezos' employees were having the chance to get help from magic germans as return of favor...

Crytek outplayed them all:

1) Got money from Amazon - company that had no experience in AAA game dev.
2) probably will get some money from CI (Space court), too.

Morale here are - cool graphics sells, its like AAA games - people watch cool trailers and then pre-order games with no gameplay on release...
In CI and Amazon case - they looked at graphic capabilities of Cryengine ignoring fact, that engine is build for single player games in mind not MP...

Crytek outplayed them all:

1) Got money from Amazon - company that had no experience in AAA game dev.
2) probably will get some money from CI (Space court), too.

Morale here are - cool graphics sells, its like AAA games - people watch cool trailers and then pre-order games with no gameplay on release...
In CI and Amazon case - they looked at graphic capabilities of Cryengine ignoring fact, that engine is build for single player games in mind not MP...
Nah Amazon did it because it was cheaper than Unreal and unity perhaps.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom