The Star Citizen Thread V10

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Well, so far the Kickstarter has not failed and the game is still in production so at this point they have no product yet to deliver, but the production, the company have not gone bust, folded or been destroyed in a fire so you have not yet lost what you put in - you just have not yet got a finished game.

I do however agree that it is a damn long time to wait for a computer game but at the same time...it will have a little longer development time (if they CAN stick to the schedule this time) than Cyberpunk 2077 which AFAIK started in 2012.

IMHO That Kickstarter failed, they went off and did something else. What they are doing now doesn't match the Kickstarter.

It's completely inappropriate to use Kickstarter as a funding platform on which you describe a product and then turn around and say "hey thanks, you gave us too much so we'll use your money to do something else". Because what they are doing now has nothing to do with the Kickstarter game being described here in anything but name. Roberts basically ended up using it as a marketing/pre-order platform for a AAA game/vanity project.

Sure we've heard all this nonsense about the community having "voted" for them to do something else, but the actual polls in question did not describe anything of the sort. It's an excuse for not having been able to meet those initial pledges with anything close to a product.

Can you name any other KS where they abandonded the original pitch and used the money to make a company to release a bigger product with no release date?

I backed Oculus, they provided me with a DK1 as pitched - they did not go away and "Build a company first"
I backed Pebble, they provided me with a Pebble time as pitched - they did not go away and "Build a company first"

Last edited:

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Well, so far the Kickstarter has not failed and the game is still in production so at this point they have no product yet to deliver, but the production, the company have not gone bust, folded or been destroyed in a fire so you have not yet lost what you put in - you just have not yet got a finished game.

I do however agree that it is a damn long time to wait for a computer game but at the same time...it will have a little longer development time (if they CAN stick to the schedule this time) than Cyberpunk 2077 which AFAIK started in 2012.

The Kickstarter has failed already, many times over at that:

To start with the estimated delivery date has been exceeded so far in an almost entire lustrum and CIG has not even offered a new estimated date. Kickstarter projects need to have one.
The campaign Drop in / Drop out co-op play was cancelled
The private servers have been confirmed not to be on commercial release, whenever that ends up being.
There are subscriptions
And there is pay to win (although this one we can spend 10 more pages debating it)

just so to pick up a few key failed elements.

If there is any element in the whole SC project that should be the easiest to get refunded for due to its failures, that is any Kickstarter related pledges.

Last edited:

Goose4291

Banned
So that makes it okay for CIG behave similarly then? Okay great, stand down everyone, you bunch of hypocrites.

sorry to disappoint you but it has been delivered.

DUE4LijW4AAzp3i.jpg

That's not what I said.

What I said that after a year of release that Frontier hadn't delivered on several of its Kickstarter rewards, and the same people who are here as usual declaring 'DOOM! SCAM!' Regarding star citizen/Sq42 (as yet unreleased games) not delivering on promised rewards were telling everyone (with the usual feverence we see with the 62nd Braben's Own White Knight Regiment of Horse) to stop whining as the promises would eventually be delivered.

DUE4LijW4AAzp3i.jpg

That's not what I said.

What I said that after a year of release that Frontier hadn't delivered on several of its Kickstarter rewards, and the same people who are here as usual declaring 'DOOM! SCAM!' Regarding star citizen/Sq42 (as yet unreleased games) not delivering on promised rewards were telling everyone (with the usual feverence we see with the 62nd Braben's Own White Knight Regiment of Horse) to stop whining as the promises would eventually be delivered.
And these people were in fact correct.

The hypocrisy in this thread is, as usual, absolutely amazing when you remember many of those complaining about undelivered promises (for a project that isn't finished) were among the many voices who told any ED backer who voiced concerns about not receiving their promised digital artbook/3D ship models that they should just shut up and wait, over a year after the actual release of the game.

If you can't see the difference between that and a mod handbook still being sold after 6+ years, for a pre-alpha with no mod support, then you are not quite the objective arbitrator that you purport to be.

Also you're not seeing the funny ;)

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
If you can't see the difference between that and a mod handbook still being sold after 6+ years, for a pre-alpha with no mod support, then you are not quite the objective arbitrator that you purport to be.

Not only that, that manual is still being sold for a feature that has actually been confirmed not to even be at commercial release.

Goose4291

Banned
And these people were in fact correct.

They were, and at no point did I say they weren't. But you know that, which is why you keep pointing to the fact these rewards were delivered (which I didn't refute), rather than what I'm writing.

For the last time, I find it hypocritical to think that rewards promised on release being 2 years late is 'okay' for Elite Dangerous, but that somehow rewards promised on release for a game that hasn't even been released at this stage not being delivered is somehow 'bad'.

They were, and at no point did I say they weren't. But you know that, which is why you keep pointing to the fact these rewards were delivered (which I didn't refute), rather than what I'm writing.

For the last time, I find it hypocritical to think that rewards promised on release being 2 years late is 'okay' for Elite Dangerous, but that somehow rewards promised on release for a game that hasn't even been released at this stage not being delivered is somehow 'bad'.

Being late in any situation is bad. But it's relative.

Try turning up for work an hour late.
Now try turning up for work a year late.

The problem with Star Citizen is it's completely inappropriate for crowd funding of any sort. The time-lines they expect people to accept as "normal" are a significant proportion of human life expectancy.

You want to spend a decade developing your game? Go for it, but you shouldn't grab people's cash in advance. people get old, people change, people have lives, people die.

That's not what I said.

I'm sure you can back up that claim with concrete examples, right? You wouldn't just be conflating everyone on all the forums with the specific people in this thread, or assuming that, as with SC, if you wish it were true then it must be. Or, you know, lying.

I wonder if and when consumers rights associations will put their noses in this shady business.
I wonder if and when game workers unions will put their noses in this shady company.

Some may be fine with everything CIG is doing, I for one find many things morally debatable, to say the least.

Goose4291

Banned

If you read back, we've also been talking about USB sticks and the ilk, not just the manual.

Would this 'funny' be typing 'lol buy an Idris' in between cramming mouthfulls of popcorn into our mouths, tenderly stroking a signed photo of Derek Smart, all the while nodding sagely and pretending to understand accountancy, law, or whatever the next big thing is to justify our next reason why Star Citizen will fail?

If so I'll pass.

Most would notice the difference between 'actually getting the game pretty much on time and get a promised accessory with a delay' and 'after three time as long a delay the game isn't even remotely close to anything resembling alpha and yet they still sell stuff that isn't just not yet in the game, but already confirmed to be not in the game.'

Goose4291

Banned
I'm sure you can back up that claim with concrete examples, right? You wouldn't just be conflating everyone on all the forums with the specific people in this thread, or assuming that, as with SC, if you wish it were true then it must be. Or, you know, lying.

Guess who's not wading through 5 years of frontier forum posts to prove a point, so you can all initially deny it with a 'I see no ships' hamdwave before spamming the report button for naming/shaming or whatever flimsy pretext y'all can find?

This guy, that's who.

Would this 'funny' be typing 'lol buy an Idris' in between cramming mouthfulls of popcorn into our mouths, tenderly stroking a signed photo of Derek Smart, all the while nodding sagely and pretending to understand accountancy, law, or whatever the next big thing is to justify our next reason why Star Citizen will fail?

If so I'll pass.

Maybe it is just noticing how comically absurd the entire thing is. By now SC is somewhere in between funny and irrelevant for gamers, and no amount of weird and bitter ad-hominems from you will change that.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom