The Star Citizen Thread V10

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
My OP was obviously referring to the Elite community indeed. Fully disagree with you in minimising the SC “imbalance” to just “some” members of its community supporting the current p2w commercial status quo. 300 mil also seem to disagree with you.

Ha, no. You claimed CIG got a 'free pass'. That is absolutely evidently factually not so. The reputation of CIG in the general gaming community is abysmal. The amount of garbage people throw at CIG (deservedly as it may be, that isn't the point) is far beyond what FD receives. Yes, people in the ED community are more critical about ED than people in the SC community are about SC. That doesnt mean CIG gets a free pass, it means their approach to community management has resulted in the consistent purging of critical people to the point only non-critical people remain.

I really don't get where you're coming from Ian Skippy.

If a fan uses some insane level of mental gymnastics and I post it here, not to ridicule but just to say, look at how far people are bending backwards in defence of something. Why is that a problem?

Mostly for two reasons. Firstly it doesn't mean anything. I am active in modular synthesis circles, and I see similar things. People spending huge amounts of money on stuff they cannot afford while bending over any which way to justify it. If there is something you can both be passionate about and spend money on (whether it is SC, fishing, music, whatever) you'll have people with problematic behavior. That in itself means nothing. If you want to make the case that there is something particularly predatory or wrong about CIG, point at what CIG does. That may be a good argument against CIG. Pointing at problematic behavior from individual consumers only 'proofs' that that particular individual has issues.

Secondly, not only does pointing at 'unstable' people showing unhealthy behavior or attitudes reveal nothing about CIG itself (so it is a weak argument at best), you're also putting the spotlight on people who very well might simply be mental patients. Some people in any community are simply not well. The SC community is clearly no exception. And while I have no issue with criticizing corporations in general, or CIG in particular, we really should be above what is essentially publicly shaming psychiatric patients. Yes, they can be annoying at times. But just let it slide, rise above the temptation of the easy target and focus on what CIG does.

There is plenty of ammunition there.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Ha, no. You claimed CIG got a 'free pass'. That is absolutely evidently factually not so. The reputation of CIG in the general gaming community is abysmal. The amount of garbage people throw at CIG (deservedly as it may be, that isn't the point) is far beyond what FD receives. Yes, people in the ED community are more critical about ED than people in the SC community are about SC. That doesnt mean CIG gets a free pass, it means their approach to community management has resulted in the consistent purging of critical people to the point only non-critical people remain.

Mostly for two reasons. Firstly it doesn't mean anything. I am active in modular synthesis circles, and I see similar things. People spending huge amounts of money on stuff they cannot afford while bending over any which way to justify it. If there is something you can both be passionate about and spend money on (whether it is SC, fishing, music, whatever) you'll have people with problematic behavior. That in itself means nothing. If you want to make the case that there is something particularly predatory or wrong about CIG, point at what CIG does. That may be a good argument against CIG. Pointing at problematic behavior from individual consumers only 'proofs' that that particular individual has issues.

Secondly, not only does pointing at 'unstable' people showing unhealthy behavior or attitudes reveal nothing about CIG itself (so it is a weak argument at best), you're also putting the spotlight on people who very well might simply be mental patients. Some people in any community are simply not well. The SC community is clearly no exception. And while I have no issue with criticizing corporations in general, or CIG in particular, we really should be above what is essentially publicly shaming psychiatric patients. Yes, they can be annoying at times. But just let it slide, rise above the temptation of the easy target and focus on what CIG does.

I think 300 mil are as close to a factual free pass a community can give to a developer as it can get. And (if you believe CIGs tracker) this years funding so far is also top tier. The overall SC community behaviour and comments simply reflect that. The “imbalance” in support (or at least a free pass) of the SC commercial model by its community has few similar precedents in the industry.

Last edited:
Digital Extremes on how they achieved Empyrean tech:

Whereas games like Star Citizen strive to simulate spaceflight more directly, that comes at an enormous burden to both the game engine, the computer playing the game, and the developers who have to stitch it altogether. "I'm going to fake it because I can make it faster," Sinclair laughed.

Thanks to lots of nuanced lighting and spatial effects, the trick works. From the demo, it's impossible to tell that you're not actually flying in 3D space.

What if all SC needed was less never done before fyscallized phideliciousity but more good old simple cleverness?

But we can still look at the reasoning being used and try to understand why people think it is valid or why people convince themselves it is valid.
It might not mean anything in your example but one size does not fit all, yes people should point fingers at CIG's monetization methods but they should also point fingers at those that support it, those that enable it, because of the potential wider effects of their actions.

I see the same in the audiophile world where companies are taken to task for unprovable claims but "audiophools" are also taken to task because of the pseudo voodoo beliefs and how they are supporting and enabling these unscrupulous claims.

That feels like an assumption. I can only speak for myself but more often than not I look at the types of arguments people use to justify something because I find that side of it quite interesting, ie how people can be vehemently against certain industry practices but then praise up a company like CIG, from my position it seems very duplictious. In the massivelyop example, I don't care about the guy, I don't care about his opinions of Elite, what I find odd is the irrationality of his defense.

I wonder if people get equally angsty about RL stuff or just pretend I'm a spaceman gamey stuffz?

I think they get angsty about recreational stuf (including video games), because they perceive that there’s not much hope in changing the RL stuff. Recreational stuff is optional, it’s stuff we can live without, especially when four people can simply have fun with a deck of cards, so there’s a genuine perception of power, compared to a world where they feel powerless.

I’d elaborate further, but Frontier has a “no politics” rule. ;)

If a fan uses some insane level of mental gymnastics and I post it here, not to ridicule but just to say, look at how far people are bending backwards in defence of something. Why is that a problem?

Can go round and round if "we" think discussing how far people are bending backwards in defense of SC is a problem or not. But Jenner did post this:

The topic is Star Citizen, not the people discussing Star Citizen.

Thanks.

Interpret that as you will.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Remember, there is no game, so CIG would be fine. Or is Star Citizen a game now?

That is precisely the thing. There is indeed no game yet, but its developers are nevertheless monetizing the project as if it had already been released (ref "what is release anyways"). No significant exposure to formal reviews or gaming critics, or to any liability for non delivery on all the commercial committments issued all these years (unless any regulatory body decides to intervene); while at the same time reaping all the commercial rewards it can by monetizing to the hilt any minute element of the project. At some point, hopefully, CIG will need to stop abusing the proverbial having own cake and eating it and be brought to account.

Last edited:
Back from the pub and now watching CI-G's latest video about making fake weapon sounds.

While there is undoubtedly talent involved here - I perhaps think that distinct mechanisms would each have their own signature sounds by virtue of them erm, being mechanically distinct. Resulting sound is a product of the environment - or lack thereof.

Or are they trying to say they invented EAX?

Anyway - we now have evocative diahorrea, vomitus, and erm, "full underpants squelch" effects to expect in-game!!!!!! Splendid!

Last edited:
Ladies and Gentlemen, its been a while, so it must be time to open your wallets and PLEDGE MORE MONEY!!!

From the low low price of a AAA game for a ground vehicle to the price of 10 AAA games for a few ships and extra insurance!

Its the bargain of the lifetime!

Ladies and Gentlemen, its been a while, so it must be time to open your wallets and PLEDGE MORE MONEY!!!

From the low low price of a AAA game for a ground vehicle to the price of 10 AAA games for a few ships and extra insurance!

Its the bargain of the lifetime!
Browsing through those pages (wow, those ship costs, still hard to believe) I came across the $25 gift card - was idly wondering if they did $250 ones since that seems to be what the ships are costing and realised that the $25 gift voucher costs ... $30 - how does that work? Not a big user of gift vouchers - do they usually charged a markup to convert real money into virtual ... ARxing for a friend ;)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom