The Star Citizen Thread V10

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I dunno...I'm quite enjoying the ride in a perverse way. I enjoy bits of it, sigh with resignation at most of it and remain curiously interested in how Ci¬G's devs can develop something at least worthwhile out of the whole fiasco... despite Chris Roberts and his fantasies, blatant plagiarism, mismanagement and his sole ambition to see himself back in Hollywood.

If anything comes of Star Citizen at all, it'll be the devs that rescue it despite being handicapped at every turn in it's long and troubled existence. Realistically, there's not much room left for the survival of the BDSSE, a vanishing budget being squandered at every turn by insane design focus and pointless fluff, the dreaded Roberts feature creep and financial suicide... which is the only thing he's managed succesfully as a developer (or movie director) in his entire career...it's killing the project at every turn with no sign of abatement... desite the warnings having been writ large enough to see from the imaginary space he assumes sole credit for.

I suspect; like most of us, the grand project will achieve absolutely nothing except to have made the family Roberts extremely rich...lets hope it gains Chris Roberts the industry pariah status he so rightly deserves...lets also hope the same doesn't ring true for the very talented devs that have carried him throughout and made what is in Star Citizen currently, playable at all.
It's taught a couple of others with how little you can actually get away with.

It's taught a couple of others with how little you can actually get away with.
Recently, I've noticed a kind of freeing up of senior dev responsibilities in the videos...I mean the folks outside of the Tony and Chris fanclub. Just in the way they come across in videos...like they're actually talking to the backers and not from a Chris Roberts fantasy volume. Todd Papy seems to be the one...I've liked him since he sniggered in public about one of Chris's ideas, like it was a shared in-joke amongst the devs.

Last edited:
The Catterpillar is apparently totally usable according to one citizen (found on the SC sub)

As for Catterpillar - don't run and don't bump into walls, or you may be pushed out. Don't let anyone to sit IN ANY CHAIR or be nearby when you pilot. Be carefull with rails on the bridge. If you don't rush, and everyone behave themselves - it's totaly usable.

The Catterpillar is apparently totally usable according to one citizen (found on the SC sub)

Really?

Hmm...odd...we seem to lack functionality in...

• Forward cargo section Airshield
  • Right wing Tractor beam
  • Tractor beam controls in control room above left wing
  • Cargo ramp elevators not functioning
  • And another trillion little things not working like a gazillion little storage spaces within the ship

The penny is slowly but surely dropping.
I wouldn't say that exactly, more like folks are just getting bored. For most of the 'normal' backers...we can see there's absolutely no attempt by Ci¬G to bring in the gameplay loops or persistence that would at least, reward hours of flying around and dealing with either endlessly repeating bugs that rob you of any progress anyway. Instead, they're fast tracking an insane (and completely useless) Yuppie yacht for the 1% of concierge status fools that will buy one, all to to rake in some quick bucks to pay some wages at Ci¬G.

They've admitted they can't add any more content, but continue the sales of pointless ships and concept art JPG technical debt regardless.

Basically, there's nothing to do for the average player looking for an in game purpose for a few hours, with no sign of that changing any time soon. We have ships that have no supportive gameplay and that's not changing, bugs with the flight model...or more accurately, VTOL landing crap that render quite a few of the more expensive ships unflyable or unfit for the few tasks available for them...a prime example being the $350 Valkyrie...a surface strafing support/dropship that can no longer fly anywhere near the ground since the VTOL mode cuts in and rotates the engine nacelles disabling forward thrust as soon as you hit atmosphere...it's as useful now as a lead parachute. It's one of my favourite ships, a bit like a Cutlass Black on steroids...now frustratingly unusable.

Out of my small (but perfectly formed) fleet...I use the fighters..since I can shoot stuff amidst the interminable lag... and the Caterpillar (bugged in it's own inimitable way) to fly in some aUEC profit...assuming I'm not rammed and exploded when stationary by the omnipresent Federal authority ships who interdict twice every 30 seconds when leaving a station or ground base...which incidentally gains a crime stat as well as losing any cargo or credits tied to it.

It's shyte...basically.

Last edited:
Oh they can definitely add more content, they are going to keep churning out jpegs and really ramp up that waffle pipeline.

The problem is, no amount of waffle is going to patch up their backend infrastructure or redesign their CS architecture - their much lauded SSOCS is going to do absolutely sweet fat artichokes in that regard even if they ever get round to designing it, let alone successfully deploy and implement it. Whole thing needs a re-write from the beginning.

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
I wouldn't say that exactly, more like folks are just getting bored.

It is interesting to see how the conversation surrounding SC has changed over the years. "Bored" is a good way to summarize the current sentiment, at least as I've experienced it. I don't spend time on Spectrum or anything so what do I know. It mirrors my own evolving relationship with SC as well: enthusiastic backer to disengaged Citizen to cynical Refunder. CIG seem trapped by their own mismanagement with any positive outcome becoming more and more faint the longer they spin their wheels like this. I really cannot believe that they're still selling ships and that people are buying them. It's so obviously bad for the health of the project to keep saddling themselves with piles of ship debt that I cannot fathom why even the whales keep biting.

It is interesting to see how the conversation surrounding SC has changed over the years. "Bored" is a good way to summarize the current sentiment, at least as I've experienced it. I don't spend time on Spectrum or anything so what do I know. It mirrors my own evolving relationship with SC as well: enthusiastic backer to disengaged Citizen to cynical Refunder. CIG seem trapped by their own mismanagement with any positive outcome becoming more and more faint the longer they spin their wheels like this. I really cannot believe that they're still selling ships and that people are buying them. It's so obviously bad for the health of the project to keep saddling themselves with piles of ship debt that I cannot fathom why even the whales keep biting.
It still surprises me at how many newbies I encounter every night in the gamechat looking to spend some insane money buying some yuppie yacht. I encountered a first time backer last night who had bought a Reclaimer but had no idea how to fly it...or even get inside for that matter.

What is refreshing is the amount of regular and longer term backers in the chat of all levels who will honestly attempt to dissuade them from doing so. It's easy to be enthralled by SC as a newbie, standing on a landing pad next to your freshly purchased Aurora and seeing a Caterpillar or Valkyrie land on the big pad a few yards away and some guy with fancy armour step out of it and wave..something that Ci¬G rely on heavily to suck the money out of the unwary.

Last edited:
It's so obviously bad for the health of the project to keep saddling themselves with piles of ship debt that I cannot fathom why even the whales keep biting.

Because, as a few of them openly admit, they are scared that the whole thing comes crashing down if they 'lose faith in the project and starve CIG of the needed resources'. Many of them know these ships wont come, either at all or as advertised. The ships function as a justification to give money to a company to make sure they dont lose all the earlier money they gave.

Its what caused all the refund-drama. Most game communities tend to be allergic to people saying "I dont like this game, cya!", but in the case of CIG it is perceived as actively hurting the company to the point it might endanger everyone else's 'investment'.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom