The Star Citizen Thread V10

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Stolen from Screenies thread ( https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/screenie-s-v2.424051/page-150#post-7897369 ):
F41596AC-90AE-4B7E-BE38-A1797A9D51B8.jpeg
:

I believe so.

Thank you, I'll be looking into it.

Not this month, though. My daughter (12) dropped her Samsung Galaxy A70, and the display shattered. Guess who's got to pick up the tab on that one . . . one doting, foolish father . . . (yeah, I know, but what can I do?)

@ Mugur

Took a turn for the worse, that one. A couple of nights ago, one Chris Roberts advised me that I should not even be thinking of engaging in criminal activities in my home system, or else . . .

Not this month, though. My daughter (12) dropped her Samsung Galaxy A70, and the display shattered. Guess who's got to pick up the tab on that one . . . one doting, foolish father . . . (yeah, I know, but what can I do?)

My kids went through a phase of breaking their screens on their tablets through lack of care. My response was with each breakage i replaced the tablet with one half the price of the previous. I didn't bother replacing screens as that is pricy anyway.

So my son's first one was about 300 dollars. The next was 150ish. Then 75ish. Then 40sh.

Interestingly enough, they never broke any more after I said the next one would be replaced with a calculator.

@ Mugur

Took a turn for the worse, that one. A couple of nights ago, one Chris Roberts advised me that I should not even be thinking of engaging in criminal activities in my home system, or else . . .
Jenner has played it, maybe he has tried with HOTAS. The dev recommends gamepad tho.

My kids went through a phase of breaking their screens on their tablets through lack of care. My response was with each breakage i replaced the tablet with one half the price of the previous. I didn't bother replacing screens as that is pricy anyway.

So my son's first one was about 300 dollars. The next was 150ish. Then 75ish. Then 40sh.

Interestingly enough, they never broke any more after I said the next one would be replaced with a calculator.

Excellent advice, well worth keeping in mind . . . :)

Replacing the screen would cost 150 Euros -- the phone cost 350. (Man, I remember being a kid WITHOUT being such an electronic shackle. We survived without that stuff...).

Regarding SC, the biggest reason why I am POed about how they handle things is that I'd like it come out and be really, really GOOD . . . ED can use the competition.

That being said, I just sunk a couple of hours into ED VR. This game keeps sucking me back in, there's no substitute.

Excellent advice, well worth keeping in mind . . . :)

Replacing the screen would cost 150 Euros -- the phone cost 350. (Man, I remember being a kid WITHOUT being such an electronic shackle. We survived without that stuff...).

Regarding SC, the biggest reason why I am POed about how they handle things is that I'd like it come out and be really, really GOOD . . . ED can use the competition.

That being said, I just sunk a couple of hours into ED VR. This game keeps sucking me back in, there's no substitute.

ED already has competition, and more is on the way. NMS, X4, Dual Universe, Space Engineers, etc. Each offers something different, doing some things better, some things worse, some things not at all.

If SC ever releases, in the best case its going to be just another space game that does some things (maybe?) well and some things bad, and some things not at all.

Most likely though, by the time SC is releasable in MVP form, ED will already be close to the end of its development cycle anyway. I suppose in that case, backers might start doing victory laps about how SC is still going strong when ED is dying :p

But i doubt that. Assuming FD keep working on the game, slow as updates are, SC seems to be a lot slower, and the gap will continue to widen. Space legs is the last big thing that SC has over ED in terms of gameplay, and if the leak is right, 2020 will see that gap closed. Atmospheric worlds? Yeah, not so much gameplay there, just graphics, which is nice, and hope FD have that on the roadmap for after 2020. At which point ED will have billions upon billions of atmospheric planets, while CIG are likely to be still slowly adding another system or two.

Is it possible to use a HOTAS setup (including pedals) with Rebel Galaxy Outlaw? I googled, but did not find anything really answering my question... I don't like using the mouse for space games, and controllers even less so.

I think you would probably be disappointed using a HOTAS with the limited flight control.

<cough> RGO has its own thread, and it needs the posts more than this one </cough>

ED already has competition, and more is on the way. NMS, X4, Dual Universe, Space Engineers, etc. Each offers something different, doing some things better, some things worse, some things not at all.

If SC ever releases, in the best case its going to be just another space game that does some things (maybe?) well and some things bad, and some things not at all.

Most likely though, by the time SC is releasable in MVP form, ED will already be close to the end of its development cycle anyway. I suppose in that case, backers might start doing victory laps about how SC is still going strong when ED is dying :p

But i doubt that. Assuming FD keep working on the game, slow as updates are, SC seems to be a lot slower, and the gap will continue to widen. Space legs is the last big thing that SC has over ED in terms of gameplay, and if the leak is right, 2020 will see that gap closed. Atmospheric worlds? Yeah, not so much gameplay there, just graphics, which is nice, and hope FD have that on the roadmap for after 2020. At which point ED will have billions upon billions of atmospheric planets, while CIG are likely to be still slowly adding another system or two.

I still have a little difficulty envisioning ED with cities and flora and forna. Maybe if they actually introduce the ice planets as they dangled the carrot for them to be, then it might be a little more believable that they could introduce other things than dust ball rocks

<cough> RGO has its own thread, and it needs the posts more than this one </cough>

That thread is mostly about how evil epic is

I still have a little difficulty envisioning ED with cities and flora and forna. Maybe if they actually introduce the ice planets as they dangled the carrot for them to be, then it might be a little more believable that they could introduce other things than dust ball rocks

Cities might be an issue. Fauna and Flora? Check out Zoo Planet, which runs on the same engine for how far they are in development of that stuff. The rest is just good enough procedural generation (the thing NMS struggled with a bit, though they improved, and I doubt FDev cannot do better) and some aliens or few to keep you busy while more stuff gets added.

Unlike SC, I believe FDev will manage to actually procgen stuff, without having to place everything manually (though in some story cases they will do that, of course).

Hmm Citcon in the UK this year? So there are enough whales in the UK to support this? Could be a different vibe this year - UK audiences don't tend to get as excited as our US chums.

Sacrifices must be made to be in the same room with our savior Chris Roberts.

Me and the GF are on a trip back to the UK this November / December for a couple of things. We actually considered attending CitizenCon for the fun of it - but neither of us were able to obtain tickets. Oh well - no big loss really, but it would have certainly been an interesting experience.

UK audiences don't tend to get as excited as our US chums.

The US sales technique of hyping also shouldn't work too well with Germans either, but plenty of german whales exist as well.

I was always told if you want to sell to the US you appeal to their emotions. If you want to sell to the Germans you show them technical specifications and parameters. If you want to sell to the English you get them drunk.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom