The Star Citizen Thread V10

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Ah ok that's cool. I misread your prior post anyway and thought you'd actually bought it :D

So it carried the hangar ship fine then? (But you had issues with persistence after log off no?)

I didn’t get a chance to fully test it, as my Dad went into the hospital.

The live chat is the key. Rather than being...or feeling... isolated through choice or being new, the chat binds each server in a social sense and makes SC quite bearable at times :)
Is the VOIP working at all by the way ? I remember that was heavily advertised a long time ago (along with FOIP..) Couldnt try it myself as other players on my servers just run to their own activities.. That would make for some distraction during the 15-minute travel times between planets.

I went solo for some bounty hunting missions, they are all bugged beyond usability, even the in space assistance missions where you defend a lone ship against multiple waves of pirates (with some very annoying randomly moving small ships, barely can hit em at all, good thing there are Cutters too..) tend to glitch out at the end giving zero reward against a few thousands in repair + restock... Plus the refuelling not working almost everywhere. And the horizon that's not level inside planetary hangars leading to hover mode freaking out..
So even simple mechanics that should have been implemented and working years ago, are still not working.
Also got killed by the physics engine a few times, one of them was at a R&R station, i sit down in one of the chairs that face the windows, that sent my character across the geometry and to his immediate death. Then respawned at Arccorp, because to hell with persistence, why did i bother docking at a R&R station after all..

I’m sorry, I don’t mean too. The best I could do was in the PTU. I used the 325a as a run about and kept it at an OM. It worked 100% of the time.

I did not buy the $890 890j package and I’m kicking myself for not buying it! As having the hangar added some great time sinks. Meaning, it really didn’t add anything to game loops, except my enjoyment of flying the 890j and leaving it in my smaller ship.

While I didn’t buy the 890, i probably will when/if it’s offered again. In the mean time I’m preparing my game play to have the larger carrier ship. For instance, I upgraded my base mustang to the Titan, which I’ve been truly enjoying.
My ships will be (similar to ED, actually)
Titan -> Cobra mkIII
600i -> Python
890 -> Cutter

Is the VOIP working at all by the way ? I remember that was heavily advertised a long time ago (along with FOIP..) Couldnt try it myself as other players on my servers just run to their own activities.. That would make for some distraction during the 15-minute travel times between planets.

I went solo for some bounty hunting missions, they are all bugged beyond usability, even the in space assistance missions where you defend a lone ship against multiple waves of pirates (with some very annoying randomly moving small ships, barely can hit em at all, good thing there are Cutters too..) tend to glitch out at the end giving zero reward against a few thousands in repair + restock... Plus the refuelling not working almost everywhere. And the horizon that's not level inside planetary hangars leading to hover mode freaking out..
So even simple mechanics that should have been implemented and working years ago, are still not working.
Also got killed by the physics engine a few times, one of them was at a R&R station, i sit down in one of the chairs that face the windows, that sent my character across the geometry and to his immediate death. Then respawned at Arccorp, because to hell with persistence, why did i bother docking at a R&R station after all..
I've only once used VOIP and quite a while ago...reminded me of the in game chat in ED simply due to it's quality. The old text chat box is what I meant...and hover mode...don't get me started on another rant :D

That doesn’t even get you the best graphics card on the market, never mind a whole computer!

Thing is - it doesn't matter what computer you have when it comes to Star Citizen. It runs badly on semi-decent gaming PC's, the poorly thought out machines they spent backer money on sending to "influencers", their own internal dev Dells, and actual godrigs. In short, it runs like coleslaw on a potato no matter what hardware you chuck at it.

For a while some of the more "enthusiastic" backers were claiming that bad internet access was the problem for the poor performance, or that 32Gb RAM was the norm for ordinary gamers and you needed to UPGRADE, and - my personal favourite - 24 FPS was ideal as it was more cinematic.

I've only once used VOIP and quite a while ago...reminded me of the in game chat in ED simply due to it's quality. The old text chat box is what I meant...and hover mode...don't get me started on another rant :D
Thing is, inviting total strangers to my discord or teamspeak = not an option (or will take quite a time to set up)... In-game VOIP = instant. In ED i could chat with random encounters in those pirate farming areas, and we had fun. Typing in chat means stopping everything else to do so, also not an option while in combat. I think it also adds to the general immersion, even though SC fights hard to keep that away with those silly bugs.

(...) I think it also adds to the general immersion, (...)

If anything, it takes away from immersion and makes you realize you are in a movie. Movies are the only things that have transparent helmets with lights pointing inwards to show your face (sure, you could hide your actor's face, but then why did you pay him millions). In real conditions nobody cares about whether or not the other guy can see inside your suit (because your sun shield is up or because the angle is bad and it reflects stuff since it's dark inside) - either they can get to you and check up close when you go radio silent or they can't and in that case you're as well as dead anyway (if you can't help yourself).

Edit: Also forgot to mention that the tries for being photorealistic result in a thing called uncanny valley that also doesn't really help with immersion.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom