The Star Citizen Thread V10

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
😂😂😂OMG I can't breath...
3mn2y2jpjxm31.png

I refuse to believe there are still people as much in the dark as this. That has to be a troll.

Well, I wonder if they are on the same planet, like in the same dimension??
Making trite comparisons between SC and ED just doesn't fit in any way shape or form...apart from they both contain pixel spaceships.

I refuse to believe there are still people as much in the dark as this. That has to be a troll.

Nope...there are still some out there that truly believe that nonsense...getting fewer by the year, but they're still hanging in there in their own little shuttered worlds.

The thing I remember most clearly about SC as the excitement, how ambitious it sounded. It looked good, sounded good.

But then I took the biggest turn on my heel I can remember on a game before even playing it. When I found out that you could just buy ships with real money I essentially decided I wanted nothing to do with it. Closed the tabs I was looking info on and just washed my hands of the whole thing.

I had a friend who was super into it, and now I don't even think he remembers caring. It's been so long with no result, how could you keep enthusiasm when all you get are new ships to buy and someday fly?
Thats why keeping people at the wheel is so important else they ll stop caring, stop giving money, stop white knighting....whatever. Taking a break for 6 months is about the worst you can do (in CIGs eyes) because it only highlights how little progress there really is. But if you are kept on the leash, constantly bombarded with videos, probably even getting mail from the devs and the scam brothers making you feel "special" you might stay at the trough. I ve listened to several high level backers talking as if the CEO and other high tier employees are their personal friends and I wonder if that impression isnt intentional to keep the money flowing.

Yeah concerning Star Citizen and storage devices - running from HDD or even a hybrid drive is definitely painful. Mind you, it’s still not great on NVME SSD. Some of us have even installed Star Citizen on RAMdrives for teh lulz, and performance is still, sadly, often awful.

Mole has some useful advice about trying to reconnect and get on a healthier server, but at this stage of development, CI-G should really have addressed that by now.

Yeah concerning Star Citizen and storage devices - running from HDD or even a hybrid drive is definitely painful. Mind you, it’s still not great on NVME SSD. Some of us have even installed Star Citizen on RAMdrives for teh lulz, and performance is still, sadly, often awful.

Mole has some useful advice about trying to reconnect and get on a healthier server, but at this stage of development, CI-G should really have addressed that by now.

It's not so much getting on a healthier server...even logging out and back into the same server (joining friends etc) seriously improves or eliminates the jerking texture loading stutter that always happens on initial load in. It doesn't fix the server related issues and crap netcode...but at least it doesn't stutter and hitch every time you move the mouse.

The physics are somehow tied to the server network too...on an 'old' server that's been running for several hours with lots of players...that's when the physics start to go seriously wonky and boxes fall through floors or you fall through lifts and scenery...bits of ship stop working, the starmap glitches out...many nameless other nonsense. I usually change server every couple of hours and drag any party friends with me..hence I don't have many issues apart from well known and existing bugs. That almost eliminates server crashes too..since the servers reset if they either get too empty or start to malfunction.

I still don't run SC from an SSD, it occupies it's own 2TB hybrid drive secluded from all the other working, released games...when it gets to the point of being a serious development...I may relent and put it on the 2TB SSD where all my other, proper games live :)

Apart from the abysmal loading up times...once the thing has eventually loaded in, it runs perfectly fine at reasonable framerates, no texture build up or loading etc when using the double logging in method. When I fire it up...I go make a cup of coffee in the percolator, grab some of whatever baking my wife has done...by then it's loaded. I also find that if I exit the game at any point...load it back up an hour or so later it fires up relatively faster than the initial load...pointing to having to drag assets from the server on every initial load then storing them locally in a cache from that point. It's mostly textures, shaders and sound files that take the longest to load in on initial fire up.

Load up times also improve slightly if you delete the shaders sub folder inside the user folder...no idea why that is. All this advice to keep deleting your user folder every patch is nonsense...I haven't deleted mine in well over a year...even copy it over to the PTU folder when I'm running that. I use a HOTAS so I'm not faffing about rebinding all those controls every time a patch comes out. So far...zero issues with not deleting the user folder for any patch so far...I'd go as far as to say I have less problems than most folks...going on reports here and elsewhere.

I also use a custom USER.cfg file in my user folder with a few simple command lines in it to control multi-threading and CPU use as well as allocating texture memory, GPU use and physical RAM used by SC. Nothing spectacular in that...I do it for a few games.

As for my PC specs...nowt special in them either: i7 7700K, z270p mobo, 48GB Corsair DDR4, GTX 1080ti, most of it 2 years old by now. SC runs perfectly well on that on ultra settings.

Last edited:
It's not so much getting on a healthier server...even logging out and back into the same server (joining friends etc) seriously improves or eliminates the jerking texture loading stutter that always happens on initial load in. It doesn't fix the server related issues and crap netcode...but at least it doesn't stutter and hitch every time you move the mouse.

The physics are somehow tied to the server network too...on an 'old' server that's been running for several hours with lots of players...that's when the physics start to go seriously wonky and boxes fall through floors or you fall through lifts and scenery...bits of ship stop working, the starmap glitches out...many nameless other nonsense. I usually change server every couple of hours and drag any party friends with me..hence I don't have many issues apart from well known and existing bugs. That almost eliminates server crashes too..since the servers reset if they either get too empty or start to malfunction.

I still don't run SC from an SSD, it occupies it's own 2TB hybrid drive secluded from all the other working, released games...when it gets to the point of being a serious development...I may relent and put it on the 2TB SSD where all my other, proper games live :)

Apart from the abysmal loading up times...once the thing has eventually loaded in, it runs perfectly fine at reasonable framerates, no texture build up or loading etc when using the double logging in method. When I fire it up...I go make a cup of coffee in the percolator, grab some of whatever baking my wife has done...by then it's loaded. I also find that if I exit the game at any point...load it back up an hour or so later it fires up relatively faster than the initial load...pointing to having to drag assets from the server on every initial load then storing them locally in a cache from that point. It's mostly textures, shaders and sound files that take the longest to load in on initial fire up.

Load up times also improve slightly if you delete the shaders sub folder inside the user folder...no idea why that is. All this advice to keep deleting your user folder every patch is nonsense...I haven't deleted mine in well over a year...even copy it over to the PTU folder when I'm running that. I use a HOTAS so I'm not faffing about rebinding all those controls every time a patch comes out. So far...zero issues with not deleting the user folder for any patch so far...I'd go as far as to say I have less problems than most folks...going on reports here and elsewhere.

I also use a custom USER.cfg file in my user folder with a few simple command lines in it to control multi-threading and CPU use as well as allocating texture memory, GPU use and physical RAM used by SC. Nothing spectacular in that...I do it for a few games.

As for my PC specs...nowt special in them either: i7 7700K, z270p mobo, 48GB Corsair DDR4, GTX 1080ti, most of it 2 years old by now. SC runs perfectly well on that on ultra settings.

Now that is interesting, because i've had backers tell me many times that my poor in-game performance (after loading) was due to it not being on an SSD.

Now that is interesting, because i've had backers tell me many times that my poor in-game performance (after loading) was due to it not being on an SSD.

My dear Agony - Mole has more RAM than a great many people. Engine hits and misses are greatly mitigated by having enough RAM to store approximately 38% of the .pak and maintain the usual OS caches.

Much hilarity ensues when you try to run the client on low RAM systems - say 16-32 Gigs or so - and not only watch the client attempt to load and unload assets, but trash it's own cache, reload everything again, and force the OS to dump it's own caches. Ever watched a TCP/IP stack rebuild? Star Citizen makes it fun!

How are ordinary gaming machines supposed to deal with this monolithically?

sc-pak.png

Good luck being able to stuff that into memory and decompress and have a functional game and a working OS.

Of course, you can work it bitwise but then you have to fight both the filesystem and the OS. Maybe CI-G will refactor that?

It's not much better when you have more RAM - and it's been tested on multisocket enterprise gear with terabytes of RAM. Because CI-G still haven't managed to compartmentalize assets in a viable manner and untie their client from server-side dependency. SSOCS is what they claim will fix this. Urm, it won't. Ever.

Because they can't code it.

Also - why on earth is it now taking up nearly 93 Gb's?

scsize.png

Oh - it must be their magical unified delta patcher or something.

scspc.png

Last edited:
My dear Agony - Mole has more RAM than a great many people. Engine hits and misses are greatly mitigated by having enough RAM to store approximately 38% of the .pak and maintain the usual OS caches.

Much hilarity ensues when you try to run the client on low RAM systems - say 16-32 Gigs or so - and not only watch the client attempt to load and unload assets, but trash it's own cache, reload everything again, and force the OS to dump it's own caches. Ever watched a TCP/IP stack rebuild? Star Citizen makes it fun!

How are ordinary gaming machines supposed to deal with this monolithically?

sc-pak.png

Good luck being able to stuff that into memory and decompress and have a functional game and a working OS.

Of course, you can work it bitwise but then you have to fight both the filesystem and the OS. Maybe CI-G will refactor that?

It's not much better when you have more RAM - and it's been tested on multisocket enterprise gear with terabytes of RAM. Because CI-G still haven't managed to compartmentalize assets in a viable manner and untie their client from server-side dependency. SSOCS is what they claim will fix this. Urm, it won't. Ever.

Because they can't code it.

Also - why on earth is it now taking up nearly 93 Gb's?

scsize.png

Oh - it must be their magical unified delta patcher or something.

scspc.png

Cries in 8Gb of RAM

You gaming on a phone?

LOL, don't think my phone has 8Gb of ram either.

Its an interesting consideration though, what will be the final requirements of the game and what % of those interested will be able to play it at acceptable framerates.

Not everyone can afford to keep their rigs at a decently high end. If i was a single man then i'd have a top end gaming PC, but with a wife and kids i really have to justify every hardware purchase.

I've got a big contract on at the moment, and when i get paid for that, i plan on treating myself to a decent HOTAS, because that's more of a priority for me, since my rig runs ED and all other games i have very well.

But most of that money from the contract will go on life and other essentials we have put off, plus some presents for the wife and kids for being so patient with me while i've been doing it.

If SC ends up requiring a quality rig, beyond what most games require, and there is no way to tone down the settings to allow older rigs to play, then they are going to lose out on some potential players and i most certainly will not be able to play it.

LOL, don't think my phone has 8Gb of ram either.

Its an interesting consideration though, what will be the final requirements of the game and what % of those interested will be able to play it at acceptable framerates.

Not everyone can afford to keep their rigs at a decently high end. If i was a single man then i'd have a top end gaming PC, but with a wife and kids i really have to justify every hardware purchase.

I've got a big contract on at the moment, and when i get paid for that, i plan on treating myself to a decent HOTAS, because that's more of a priority for me, since my rig runs ED and all other games i have very well.

But most of that money from the contract will go on life and other essentials we have put off, plus some presents for the wife and kids for being so patient with me while i've been doing it.

If SC ends up requiring a quality rig, beyond what most games require, and there is no way to tone down the settings to allow older rigs to play, then they are going to lose out on some potential players and i most certainly will not be able to play it.
Well, the game is obviously targeted at a few whales that can afford to throw 20K$ at a game now so 128G shouldn't be an issue. :p

Watching Inside Star Citizen after FTRs most recent it seems the main difference between the two is that FTR questions why they are doing stuff, and SaltEMike takes it for granted that they are doing good stuff - though even he seems to struggle on the caves.Do I hear right and they're putting Lichen on rocks to help people navigate through caves? That's .... bizarre. Though I'm not sure if saltEMike is misunderstanding and it just denotes 'you can walk here', rather than 'this is the path in/out'. I guess the caves are going to be pretty linear then 🤔

I should mention I also have a small 60GB SSD that is entirely used for a page file and nothing else...not that I really need it with the amount of RAM I have...but it's there none the less.

In other news...Top Star Citizen comment of the week goes to a guy I met in the game chat last night on an Aussie server...talking about the current flight model, gimbal assist, etc...

He said (coffee snorting moment in chat) " PvP ship combat used to be fun...now it's like 2 drunk guys trying to kill eachother with sharpened bananas.."

Personally...in all the PvP nonsensery, I've developed a pathological hatred for the Fortnite kiddies flying Sabre Ravens in tandem and spamming EMP's just to irritate me. I spend more time floating with no shields frantically trying to turn everything back on than I do killing the little darlings. In a 1 v 2 against those $50 little peasant ships...there's no chance of watching both of them, the second you lose track of one, he'll zoom in behind you and fire off the EMP leaving you floating helplessly while his buddy knocks a few bits off your ship at his leisure....fire up the ship again, still no shields...and..ZAP!... you're floating helplessly watching your ship fall to bits all over again.

I'd love to catch one of the little dears, rip the EMP off his annoying little peasant ship, shove it in a body orifice and set it off hoping it welded his braces together so his future Big Mac Happy meals would have to be ingested via a straw :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Watching Inside Star Citizen after FTRs most recent it seems the main difference between the two is that FTR questions why they are doing stuff, and SaltEMike takes it for granted that they are doing good stuff - though even he seems to struggle on the caves.Do I hear right and they're putting Lichen on rocks to help people navigate through caves? That's .... bizarre. Though I'm not sure if saltEMike is misunderstanding and it just denotes 'you can walk here', rather than 'this is the path in/out'. I guess the caves are going to be pretty linear then 🤔

Typical CIG behavior....be vague to the point where people can go with different interpretations so everybody is happy for a while...as long as the money flows. That cae and lichen announcement is so weird having devs working on such mundane and unimportant features when they should instead nail down core mechanics which are still in dire need of improvement or implementation.

Also new FTR vid

Just sometimes... when I'm doing the stuff that nobody else seems to do... that's not obsessively shooting eachother in the face or running drugs that is... like exploring a moon...I actually like this project.

The magic Germans certainly added some nice bits and pieces and don't get near enough credit... with all the focus being on broken stuff and ship sales. Like everyone else, I tend to forget that until I go look...

rGqxbLF.png

q4A88rM.png

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom