The Star Citizen Thread V10

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
But... I can see the inside of my ship.

Indeed - and in VR I can move around a little bit and crawl around the floor and squee in delight at all the little details that FD included in the various ships. And later defidelitised. And in some cases removed altogether :D

But there is absolutely zero gameplay there.

That's not a bad thing though, because there are absolutely zero gameplay mechanics implemented for such micro-scale environs. FD could very well come up with something fun, but that'd need an entirely separate locomotor mechanic and separation of "self" from "presense" and all that assosciated ship interaction.

CI-G have gone about it from the exactly opposite direction. Not only have they mitigated any possible issues by the simple expedient of not including VR; there's barely any shipboard gameplay possibilities, and their much vaunted "you'll run around in the BDSSE greatest game ever, and change fuses mid-battle and mix drinks for VIP's" has been neatly sidestepped by not having any fuses, drinks, VIP's, or actual game :D

👋

Just felt like sharing my experience of SC last night.

So for the first time in forever 🎶 I was able to play Star Citizen at a solid 70fps on high with no rubberbanding or anything that impacted my experience. The last version I played was a while back and was a truly sucky experience. This latest round of updates has done amazing work IMHO.

Now, on to my experience ...

I'm standing inside the outfit shop. Looking at the suits, minding my business.
Over comms I hear "..h-h-help .. me"
Confused, I turn around and HOLY JESUS there's a payer standing there, his eyes are hanging from their sockets, his skull is partially visible ... I'm freaking out a little, what the hell is this?
I stupidly ask the inside-out player: "Are you okay man?"
He replies: "OKAY?! DO I LOOK BLOODY OKAY?!"
He runs from the room screaming.

Welcome to Star Citizen I guess.

Oh hey I just found your Elephant Man buddy. I thought you were exaggerating when you posted that. But looks like he gave up and started stalking FTP as well.... :oops:

Zowie.JPG

FTP says some fan boys are royally ticked off at CI because this "monster" utterly ruins their immersion. My take is that CI felt the game was a bit too bland. Players like you having to window shop and drool over shiny things you can't afford. So they got creative and intentionally added this jack-in-the-box to shake things up. So perhaps this looks like an unintended NPC glitch/bug, but was really designed to add alien NPC life forms to the game? :alien:

Last edited:
Also upgrades the package with LTI, but LTI isn't important... or is it?

Some interesting points in there.

So, original backers (2012) will get permanent insurance on ships they bought back then.

People who bought later get 2-12 months insurance

This time will not begin until the game is live and out of testing altogether.

Well, the question was asked "What is release anyway?" so i guess one answer is, when the insurance countdown starts. However, as long as it remains in alpha (or beta), insurance remains valid.

You can keep paying for insurance though.

If you do the equivalent of fly without rebuy (without insurance) in theory you could be left without a ship at all!!!

LTI isn't the same as the permenant insurance mentioned above. I'm still not clear about it though.

Lifetime Insurance, or LTI as it is commonly referred to, is a basic insurance policy that will cost the insured player no extra UEC payments to maintain their coverage.

I mean, how does that mesh with the first point about people who bought in 2012?

Overall it sounds like LTI just makes insurance cheaper.

It mentions insurance being a recurring payment as well as the insurance timer. Is this real time or in-game time? If you don't play for some months, does it mean you can come back and your insurance has expired?

Some interesting points in there.

So, original backers (2012) will get permanent insurance on ships they bought back then.

People who bought later get 2-12 months insurance

Well, the question was asked "What is release anyway?" so i guess one answer is, when the insurance countdown starts. However, as long as it remains in alpha (or beta), insurance remains valid.

You can keep paying for insurance though.

If you do the equivalent of fly without rebuy (without insurance) in theory you could be left without a ship at all!!!

LTI isn't the same as the permenant insurance mentioned above. I'm still not clear about it though.

I mean, how does that mesh with the first point about people who bought in 2012?

Overall it sounds like LTI just makes insurance cheaper.

It mentions insurance being a recurring payment as well as the insurance timer. Is this real time or in-game time? If you don't play for some months, does it mean you can come back and your insurance has expired?

ZegiCWZ.png

Ship insurance seems really close to a subscription, but maybe players will be able to purchase jpeg coverage with in-game earnings.

I still find it incredibly eerie EVA-ing around a wrecked ship... came across the remains of this Connie during a pirate interdiction...once I'd despatched the annoying pirate Cutlass, I spotted the wreck and decided to have a look around. I'll give the devs at Ci¬G another nod for the atmospheric sounds and visuals at those wrecks

mKtuXTG.png

gMjM1nI.png

t70vRhg.png

9q0pc0n.png

SYpb2HU.png

Besides that, the latest 3.7.1 PTU patch has resolved a lot of the bugs...not all, but the major ones at least.

Last edited:
Oh hey I just found your Elephant Man buddy. I thought you were exaggerating when you posted that. But looks like he gave up and started stalking FTP as well.... :oops:

View attachment 147965

FTP says some fan boys are royally ticked off at CI because this "monster" utterly ruins their immersion. My take is that CI felt the game was a bit too bland. Players like you having to window shop and drool over shiny things you can't afford. So they got creative and intentionally added this jack-in-the-box to shake things up. So perhaps this looks like an unintended NPC glitch/bug, but was really designed to add alien NPC life forms to the game? :alien:

SEE?! trauma intensifies

Imagine seeing this horror whilst you're wandering around the airless dark corridors of a salvageable ship.

The idea being that some big publisher out there is looking on in utter amazement at how much money people will throw at a game if pitched just right. They want a slice of that sweet sweet whale pie.
If it was possible to replicate the flash-in-the pan that is SC, someone would've done it by now. I don't think there's another collection of hopeless nostalgics out there that put their hand too far into the jar and have clutched too tightly to let go. If there were, someone else would be milking it already. It's not like CIG have done anything revolutionary here, unless you truly believe Sandi has mesmeric marketing powers beyond mortal men.

And the current crop? Their fists will soon fall out of the jar as the blubber melts off their flesh and they skeletonize. Uncle Roberts has already dried them out; if they didn't he wouldn't have had to suckle at the teat of investors (that must be a bitter taste).

The rest of the monkeys are looking at the field of skeletons with their hands in jars clutching jpegs, sandworms and space kitties and wising up. They're not that dumb.

Hey Qohen... i must admit, i'm a bit confused. Fleetcomm is an exploration group, and this is Star Citizen, a game with less exploration in it than Jet Set Willy.

Are you basically holding out, waiting for the day that CIG adds the 100 systems? Or the orientation of FleetComm for SC is different?

FC SC is not limited to exploration, all gameplays are welcome although most of us (so far) tend to cooperative, PvE activities. Sure there's not much exploration so far, but as stated, the server is more generally there to get a foot in the game and follow/discuss its development (and get an early feel for what community opportunities might arise once the universe starts to expand) :)

FC SC is not limited to exploration, all gameplays are welcome although most of us (so far) tend to cooperative, PvE activities. Sure there's not much exploration so far, but as stated, the server is more generally there to get a foot in the game and follow/discuss its development (and get an early feel for what community opportunities might arise once the universe starts to expand) :)
You may have interested me in partaking Qohen...I've avoided SC orgs like a veritable plague for years since the tendency is for wannabe PvP piracy or just plain old megalomania...but FleetCom I know already :)

You may have interested me in partaking Qohen...I've avoided SC orgs like a veritable plague for years since the tendency is for wannabe PvP piracy or just plain old megalomania...but FleetCom I know already :)

Yeah, we are not quite satisfied with the apparent mindset of a good chunk of the SC community... Although most people I've talked to in-game were really nice, the org mentality is not our (FC members) cup of tea.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom