The Star Citizen Thread v5

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

Brett C

Frontier
Greetings everyone,

Our previous SC thread reached the 10,000 limit and then some. As such, it's time for a new thread for Star Citizen discussions. If you want to discuss Star Citizen, this is the place to do so! [up]

With that being said, please note the following policies to this discussion thread. Violating these policies will result in moderation against your forums account.

1. This thread is for the discussion of Star Citizen only.
  2. Any trolling, insulting, and/or badgering posts directed to fellow forum users will not be tolerated.
  3. Moderation will be dealt with by the Forum manager and volunteer moderators. There is no need to publically call for moderation. Simply report any posts for review by clicking the
    report-40b-hover.png
    icon.
  4. Posting of offensive, degrading, or mocking images/media will not be tolerated.
  5. Excessive off-topic posts will be removed.

New thread, yay. I refuse to go with "1st" (eta - took me so long to type on the phone I wasn't first anyway)

Referring back to the TLDR on yesterday's show it seems a patch is delayed due to networking issues.

Is there any more intel on that or just unspecified issues?

Last edited:
Stormprooter said:
1. Has TrackIR been restored?
It hasn't, and I might never come back, because the guy concerned with it seems to have left CIG. I guess, it was basically a failed pet project. Just like VR. :D

I last played this just after 2.1 was released.
3. Is it worth downloading the client to try the latest version?
If you aren't interested in buying clothes, then no.

Is each patch still around 30Gb? I'm not one of the select few with access.
Still nothing changed about the "patch system" being a dumb BitTorrent client redownloading everything on a checksum mismatch and CIG's dumb build system even small changes into large GB blobs. Access to the newest patches is restricted, because the bandwidth cost seemingly doesn't match the reduced funding anymore.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Is each patch still around 30Gb? I'm not one of the select few with access.
Still nothing changed about the "patch system" being a dumb BitTorrent client redownloading everything on a checksum mismatch and CIG's dumb build system expanding even small changes into large GB blobs. Access to the newest patches is restricted, because the bandwidth cost seemingly doesn't match the reduced funding anymore.

Last edited:
Still nothing changed about the "patch system" being a dumb BitTorrent client redownloading everything on a checksum mismatch and CIG's dumb build system expanding even small changes into large GB blobs. Access to the newest patches is restricted, because the bandwidth cost seemingly doesn't match the reduced funding anymore.

I mean how stupid&amateurish is that,I didn't mind that at the beginning but now after half of the decade.....it's just ludicrous....

Last edited:
It hasn't, and I might never come back, because the guy concerned with it seems to have left CIG. I guess, it was basically a failed pet project. Just like VR. :D

If you aren't interested in buying clothes, then no.

So after all this "super realistic" and "highly skilled based" "good reflex required" space sim wont get trackir? Highly disappointing.

Still nothing changed about the "patch system" being a dumb BitTorrent client redownloading everything on a checksum mismatch and CIG's dumb build system even small changes into large GB blobs. Access to the newest patches is restricted, because the bandwidth cost seemingly doesn't match the reduced funding anymore.

Many inaccurate statements in that response due to unnecessary exaggeration.

The client exists as a number of signed PAK files to prevent tampering / hacking of game files. The client does a checksum on each of the PAK files and redownloads that PAK file if the checksum fails. Most new patches have modifications made within each PAK file, thus requiring redownload of each. There's little doubt that the patcher could be improved, but those that think it can just be rsynced don't understand how signed files work. CIG has said that they have been working on a new patch client that will work quite differently to allow download of only modified files. I'm not sure if the client will have the ability to re-sign files or if they're changing the way the game assets are stored.

Access to the new PTU (test) patches is restricted to those who have submitted the most bug reports, but this is really to get the most out of the testers, not out of bandwidth issues. If bandwidth usage by their CDN was a problem, they wouldn't be pushing new builds on a daily basis to the PTU.

Last edited:
Is that a per month subscription, or a one off payment? I tried having a scout round for that as I had seen a couple of references on paying to get into the PTU?

Apparently if you're a subscriber for that super secret information (whatever it's called) you also have access to the PTU

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom