The Star Citizen Thread v5

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
So is it a wild goose chase, a football match with moving goal posts or an endless pit?
Do try and be constistant in your excuses for not wanting to counter arguments that don't fit into your narrative.

Football sucks man. Hockey is a real man's sport. ;)

Nah.

We have the same old argument that CIG is being too ambitious. They're making it too hard on themselves. So I present you with the same old argument that you've been countered with time and again.

Trailblazing is hard. It will bring some very loud detractors with it.
People are more criticising CIG's hugely disappointing repeated failures to meet their stated ambitions. I have had over 10 years' experience of trailblazing myself, and it involved good planning and project management, with regular reviews of performance to date , as well as ingenuity and vision.

I have no doubt at all that CIG has very highly talented and ingenious staff, and hugely imaginative artists. However, they repeatedly fail to perform as they expected and there is no evidence of solid planning. Hence, people are concerned about the future of the project. I am well aware that many lines of investigation can lead nowhere; however, they are often informative. It is unclear that CIG are benefitting at all from their earlier efforts.

I am not saying that SC will fail, I hope it will be good. I am just saying that many of its critics have valid reasons, and are not just hating because of rivalries or lulz; to be honest, SC isn't a threat to anyone right now.

There absolutely is such a thing as being too ambitious, and it is to be discouraged rather than lauded.

Last edited:
Darn those ambitious folks over at CIG.....:rolleyes:

As Barking_Mad succinctly put it with his wheel metaphor, it's not about what they're trying to do, it's the incredibly convoluted way they're trying to do it.
Let me make a metaphor here (parody? fable?):

Frontier: We're going to climb to the top of this mountain no-ones climbed before!
People: Great! How are you going to do it?
Frontier: Well we have our winter gear, snow shoes, ropes, etc, we've hired some guides who can take us part of the way, and we've planned out the expedition so we should have enough supplies to last us the climb and descent back down.
People: Good luck!

CIG: We're going to climb to the top of this mountain no-ones climbed before!
People: Great! How are you going to do it?
CIG: We've got some shovels, and a spare pair of flippers.
People: ... what?
CIG: Don't worry, we can refactor the shovels into picks if we need to,
People: That's not what...
CIG: we'll did through to the middle of the mountain, then dig our way up.
People:... that... how is that a good idea?
CIG: The flippers are for in case it rains.

I think it would be handy if people talked about the specifics - the argument for the defence seems to focus on "what DB said" and other vague ideas about "ambition" and "trailblazing".

It would ambitious if I announced I was going to make a spaceship if people would just give me a trillion dollars - it would also be ludicrous given my lack of current experience in pretty everything to do with manufacturing, engineering, physics and other stuff aka "rocket science".

Obviously if people gave me a quadrillion dollars they'd get the quadrillion dollar spaceship - not the trillion dollar one - just in case anyone was concerned.

Game mechanics aren't 'shaping up', though, there are no signs of progress in the development of cargo transport, mining, industry chain, refuelling and so on. All we've got since 2.1 are clothes and some ships, and that's hardly worth talking about. I can see why people are concerned with the development process when the game is perhaps 5% of promised features after four and a half years. Even if CIG is going to accelerate the pace of development, I can't see SC release happening sooner than in 2018, even if we're talking about MVP with acceptable number of features.

*Pffft!* Yeah right! Pull the other one Mr Roberts!

Hmm, I never realized that "turrets in space" equated to an accurate simulation of Newtonian Physics!
The physics fake was deliberately made to draw in the simulation audience - and then abandon them after collecting the money. Everyone does that, right?

I have not read it all yet - but why are they writing design documentation for something supposedly already in test!!!
You don't understand game development. Sources say that these reports are completely made up by Ben Lesnick Developer and have nothing to do with what really happens hat CIG.

So actually there is nothing to worry about. Behind the scenes everything is fine and people involved know what they are doing. Squadron 42 Episode 0 will be ready in fall 2016, but they can't show anything because of spoilers. This is also the reason why CIG cancelled E3: When you are just a few dozen of weeks away from release, you simply have to keep everything top secret or the movie won't be fun anymore.

Last edited:
I read this thing from time to time that says something along the lines of "you're not controlling your spaceship you're controlling your spaceman who's controlling your spaceship"

Is that a comedy meme that has developed, a general missunderstanding or is that what is meant to be happening?

I read this thing from time to time that says something along the lines of "you're not controlling your spaceship you're controlling your spaceman who's controlling your spaceship"

Is that a comedy meme that has developed, a general missunderstanding or is that what is meant to be happening?

Is that a joke or what? Seriously? Some people really need to pull their heads out of the sand and get a grip.

Is that a joke or what? Seriously? Some people really need to pull their heads out of the sand and get a grip.

Well I really don't know - I think I've mostly seen it on SA - but given they tried to go down the realistic thruster control route it wouldn't surprise me if it were true.

On the other hand it could just be a wind up.

Genuine question - I really don't know.

Well I really don't know - I think I've mostly seen it on SA - but given they tried to go down the realistic thruster control route it wouldn't surprise me if it were true.

On the other hand it could just be a wind up.

Genuine question - I really don't know.

I've heard that before - pretty sure it's an actual quote, may have been in a 10 for or Around the Verse etc. Not 100% though and don't have a sauce.

I've heard that before - pretty sure it's an actual quote, may have been in a 10 for or Around the Verse etc. Not 100% though and don't have a sauce.

Google didn't help me much.

In the wacky world of SC it's crazy sounding enough to be real. On the other hand it could easily be a pith take.

As a counter argument.

I think is perfectly valid to prototype something, put it out there, see how it goes, then rework it. It can be really hard to fully understand the ins and outs of a problem before you start getting into it. And that second iteration you find can happen relatively quickly since you have a much better understanding of the problem, and you end up with a much better solution.

It's how I feel ED is playing out, not necessarily intentionally but rather Frontier's first best effort never fully hits its mark.

2.1 being an example of that, Frontier's second iteration on a whole bunch of stuff has really helped pull ED together into a much more <word on the tip of my tongue that I can't think of> whole.

I am not following SC that closely, no idea if this applies to be honest though.

Last edited:
He's right though if you blaze a trial into the wilderness after telling everyone you know the location of the magic Germans then reappear 5 years later with twigs in your hair, none of your companions, a strange infection and being chased by a bear. People will point at you and laugh.

LMAO! Maybe he found some Garden Gnomes, but True. if we for a moment compare,

FD blamed for making a shallow boring game, however deliver On Time (mostly) and on budget. And they only took a fraction of the backers money.

CIG, praised by the follows of CIG for being super advanced, never delivered on time, NEVER EVER delivered on budget, because of rework and refactoring so many times its getting ridiculous. And when they deliver its so full of bugs that the game is almost unplayable. And they got $115 Mil to play with.

Last edited:
Quick question. Can i use all ships in the Alpha or just the ship i bought with real money?

Just the ships you've bought.
Clothes shopping is more important than having access to all ships without spending real cash ;)

I think you can use all the ships in the free fly weekends though?

As a counter argument.

I think is perfectly valid to prototype something, put it out there, see how it goes, then rework it. It can be really hard to fully understand the ins and outs of a problem before you start getting into it. And that second iteration you find can happen relatively quickly since you have a much better understanding of the problem, and you end up with a much better solution.

It's how I feel ED is playing out, not necessarily intentionally but rather Frontier's first best effort never fully hits its mark.

2.1 being an example of that, Frontier's second iteration on a whole bunch of stuff has really helped pull ED together into a much more <word on the tip of my tongue that I can't think of> whole.

I am not following SC that closely, no idea if this applies to be honest though.

Cohesive? :)

Just the ships you've bought.
Clothes shopping is more important than having access to all ships without spending real cash ;)

I think you can use all the ships in the free fly weekends though?

Ok, this is the thing that upsets me most. They intentionally go for worse/less feedback from testing? In ED betas it is common practice to have all ships available for everyone at very low price so that all combinations get tested. In SC Alpha i cannot even get the other ships in game, i have to buy them for ridiculous amounts of real money. So, what is the motivation behind that? (Not a rhetorical question, i hope there is a reason that doesn't make cig look greedy.) I pledged $60 four years ago and i cannot even access all of the little content that has been implemented so far? Even worse, it doesn't look like SC mvp will be ready before 2018.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom