The Star Citizen Thread v5

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

Mu77ley

Volunteer Moderator
I think it was more, didn't the stretch goals say 120? I've have to check that.

Edit :

IIRC they've already backed away from the "will launch with 100" statement, there was something where CRoberts said it would launch with 50 and then be added to over time.

Yet another shrink goal achieved on the downward spiral to MVP. ;)

Last edited:
I want fps for elite!

This would be finally a features that adds depth to the game and not another faction/powerplay/engineer grind mechanic.

In SC, even it is alpha state i can watch hours other player what they do on the stations.
In elite i ram my fed corvette into the landingpad and then i leave again because there is nothing intresting to explore or see. Other players act so boring normal that they could be npcs. If the game would not show it in their names you would never recognise them. That is sad, because in such an space game where other player are, i want interaction and want them as a part of the experience/enviroment. It is so much fun to met someone at the station, get into a freelancer (or any other multicrew ship) and do stuff together.

currently there is not much to do in sc because it is alpha, but these little things offer a lot of depth (way more elite offers with their cooperative mechanics in their finished game) and iam exicted to see how it plays when everythink is in.
This stuff is kinda fun but it's never anything more than I've seen in 100 other FPS'y games, just in space - so while there's nothing wrong with it to me it's nothing new or exciting. Would rather play DOOM...
To me in order to make it a great feature it needs to bring something properly new and fun to the table - i doubted horizons could do that but it pulled it off and the numerous races and events and general love of the buggies attests to that - how can either game do that again? I'm sure they could, but don't feel some standard FPS combat is the way

I actually consider it a credit to Elite that it's sometimes hard to tell the NPCs from players - isn't that how it should be, and shouldn't SC be aiming for the same for those who don't want a public game? Eventually they will have to fill their stations with NPCs - let alone the surface side thriving cities that are oft mentioned

But yeah you highlight that we need more interaction tools that work in our Elite galaxy - users being able to create missions will be an interesting hurdle to cross

Last edited:
As I recall from the BBC interview, CR said that by the end of this year they hoped to have another star system to be able to fly to. That was why I was confused about the "systems" plural on the TLDR.

I think there has also been a "clarification" from the previous position of "Hand craft all the things!" to "Landing areas will be hand crafted, planets will be PG... you didn't seriously expect us to hand craft entire planets did you? Who do you think we are, Magrathea?"

PTU 2.4T Released

Alpha Patch 2.4.0t has been released to the PTU, and is now available for players to test! As of 2.4.0t, access to the PTU is no longer restricted.Your launcher should show “2.4.0-362929” as the client version. It is strongly recommended that players delete their USER folder for the Test client after patching, particularly if you start encountering any odd character graphical issues or crash on loading. The USER folder can be found (in default installations) at C:\Program Files\Cloud Imperium Games\StarCitizen\Test.
The full 2.4.0 Patch Notes are located here. Please take full advantage of our Issue Council area of the Community site to report any bugs you encounter, as well as contribute to other players submissions.
Contents:

• Star Systems
  • Ships
  • First Person
  • User Interface
  • Technical
Star Systems:

• Fixed an issue where weapons and missiles were not being restocked on ships properly at CryAstro Station.
  • Fixed an issue where spawned ships in Port Olisar would first appear floating 50 meters above their designated landing pad.
  • Fixed an issue where textures were disappearing from certain angles in Selfland Hangar and ArcCorp.
Ships:

• Fixed some reflection and flickering issues with the Starfarer cockpit glass.
First Person:

• Fixed an issue with the inspecting weapons animation looking awkward in Live Fire and Cubby Blast.
  • Fixed an issue where inspecting rifle weapons would cause the rifle to clip into the players helmet.
User Interface:

• Fixed an issue where the UI notification alerting users which landing pad to find their ship was missing.
Technical:

• Fixed a server crash.
  • Fixed a client crash during Vanduul Swarm.
  • Fixed an error code 7 disconnection.

What is the game size of total download now?Well I assume that is getting bigger so need to know In case that I decide to try it how much space I will need to make on my ssd......

That is sad, because in such an space game where other player are, i want interaction and want them as a part of the experience/enviroment. It is so much fun to met someone at the station, get into a freelancer (or any other multicrew ship) and do stuff together.
You never teamed up in a wing (of friends or unknown players)? Bounty hunting in RES, mining, fighting in conflict zones, exploring... there's a lot of player interactions to find in Elite.

The thing is: when everyone blaze their own trail, many don't want or need to cross other's trail outside of brief moments. Currently the question doesn't arise in SC as there's no trail to blaze, but once players will be able to live, progress and die, and lose efforts/ships/cargo/datas then many currently available interactions (ganking, stealing ship, invite oneself in other's ship, ...) in SC will become a hassle.

You never teamed up in a wing (of friends or unknown players)? Bounty hunting in RES, mining, fighting in conflict zones, exploring... there's a lot of player interactions to find in Elite.

The thing is: when everyone blaze their own trail, many don't want or need to cross other's trail outside of brief moments. Currently the question doesn't arise in SC as there's no trail to blaze, but once players will be able to live, progress and die, and lose efforts/ships/cargo/datas then many currently available interactions (ganking, stealing ship, invite oneself in other's ship, ...) in SC will become a hassle.

On the second point you made.... IF Star Citizen comes out and players are able to board rival players ships/take them over etc, how is that going to be policed in-game? Because so far as I can tell, CiG have yet to detail, or even outline the way these sorts of player-on-player interactions are going to be handled to prevent potential abuse. *Especially* when we're dealing with a game where a lot of those ships have been purchased with *real* money.... like, to the tune of hundreds of dollars worth or more for a single ship.

Last edited:
What is the game size of total download now?Well I assume that is getting bigger so need to know In case that I decide to try it how much space I will need to make on my ssd......
Don't really know but will ask about it on Discord. Wait until goes live to avoid re downloading with an update.

Edit: 27.5GB it seems

Last edited:
are there less or more t-poses in PTU 2.40T ?
it would make more sense for them to sue regular numerical system 2.41 2.42 etc...
hell why do they call it 2.4 in first place? because its not even 1.0 which usually marks the release of a project

I would say more truthful version numbering would be 0.24 preview version 19

On the second point you made.... IF Star Citizen comes out and players are able to board rival players ships/take them over etc, how is that going to be policed in-game? Because so far as I can tell, CiG have yet to detail, or even outline the way these sorts of player-on-player interactions are going to be handled to prevent potential abuse. *Especially* when we're dealing with a game where a lot of those ships have been purchased with *real* money.... like, to the tune of hundreds of dollars worth or more for a single ship.

They have a heavy lot of work to do regarding this (if only it was the sole one - if only they have proven they can nail simpler ones like <<use>> already :| ), I hope they'll make this flawless or SC persistent universe will be "griefer's heaven". I don't want it to be Rust in space.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

T-poses for everyone!

Looking forward to PT U_u :)

I don't want it to be Rust in space.
You know it will be.

With their plans for player owned everything from businesses to starports to clothing and it possibly causing real money can you imagine the 100% water world's volume of salty tears there will be to extract?

with that in mind: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitize...response_on_possible_reasons_behind_crusader/ i don't expect the alpha will have playable frame rates anytime soon.

CIG can only fix it if they rework networking completely. Not only the format data is sent (i heard they send raw xml currently). Things like "smartly not tell clients that a bin fell over a thousand kilometres away" sounds like it is not a big deal. Actually for that they have to rewrite their whole server backend. Currently if a ship spawns each clients gets sent megabytes of data. Character customization seemed to have made this only worse in 2.4. Dumping all data on the clients is the simplest approach. Their 'smart' approach will only get worse to code with their localized physic grids and 'ship instances'. Even now with verbose data these don't work properly in sync.

That is some kind of foundation work that should have happened a very long time ago. That will take a few month minimum. And month of bug fixing afterwards. And it is a blocker for a lot of other development work.

The reddit links back to a CiG Dev thread: Ben I think, is the chap who posts here on occasions when we aren't being to snippy and gloaty? He did seem to have a refreshing sense of honesty in some of his replies there about what things they can and can't do and the level of challenges they are facing.

The reddit links back to a CiG Dev thread: Ben I think, is the chap who posts here on occasions when we aren't being to snippy and gloaty? He did seem to have a refreshing sense of honesty in some of his replies there about what things they can and can't do and the level of challenges they are facing.

He's ex Front Ear - and he doesn't seem to have had a sense of humour bypass.

Realistically he probably ought not to be saying too much on here though.

It seams that the reddit post was censored? anyone knows what the reason for this is?

https://www.reddit.com/r/quityourbull /comments/4ncg4v/video_game_company_fails_at_removing_watermark/

Doesn't seem to have been picked up at the source yet - no doubt we'll hear more later..

ETA - comments seem to be there but it's locked

ETA 2 - weird - the link doesn't work it seems to have spurious characters added - yet if I cut and paste the link into the link directly into the browser it does work.. perhaps it's the swear filter messing it up :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/quityourbull /comments/4ncg4v/video_game_company_fails_at_removing_watermark/d42q00l

Last edited:

dayrth

Volunteer Moderator
Pure speculation of course, but.... Could Redit have been asked to take the post down due to legal action being taken?

Doesn't seem to have been picked up at the source yet - no doubt we'll hear more later..

ETA - comments seem to be there but it's locked.

https://www.reddit.com/r/quityourbu...e_company_fails_at_removing_watermark/d42q00l

https://www.reddit.com/r/quityourbu...e_company_fails_at_removing_watermark/d42q00l

Yeah but the entire post is removed?

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Pure speculation of course, but.... Could Redit have been asked to take the post down due to legal action being taken?

Against who?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom