The Star Citizen Thread v5

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
CIG has said that they have been working on a new patch client that will work quite differently to allow download of only modified files.

CIG promised a new patcher quite some time ago, nothing came of it so far. Their past and current behaviour makes their promises matter very, very little. Besides, I don't see any inaccuracies in Backer 42's statement, current patcher does download few very large files. The claim of bandwidth charges being a motivation for changes in the testing process was corroborated by a statement from someone in CIG, but I would have to dig quite deep to find it right now.

It's been so long, that I'm not even remotely excited about this game anymore. :(
I'm sure I'll still try it when it's eventually released. But my brief foray into the PU a while back wasn't that enjoyable. The biggest hurdle was trying to figure out all the controls and interface.
ED has quite enough complexity on that front, and I'm getting to be an old dog, less likely to try and learn new tricks.

Thankfully I only threw $35 at CIG, so no big loss if I never play it.

I mean how stupid&amateurish is that,I didn't mind that at the beginning but now after half of the decade pass it's just ludicrous....
It's already the second revision, which is less than a year old IIRC. The older patcher used the years before was just downloading 7zip-Files with everything in it and extracted them. Like "Babby's first downloader".

For me it looks like CIG is stuck in the 90s just like their CEO and now tries to reinvent all the Steam predecessors used digital delivery, before Valve finally got it right.

Last edited:
It hasn't, and I might never come back, because the guy concerned with it seems to have left CIG. I guess, it was basically a failed pet project. Just like VR. :D

If you aren't interested in buying clothes, then no.

Thanks for the info - sucks big time about TrackIR - for me it made the space flight part fun to do - without it, it just isn't ticking the box for me......

Thanks for the info - sucks big time about TrackIR - for me it made the space flight part fun to do - without it, it just isn't ticking the box for me......

In V4 we talked about how some people just drop the ball, I read stuff like this and I must say, in what world or should I say dimension are you located?

Cryengine is probably the only viable engine for the game design they have.

Cryengine 1 was very good at rendering large distances, even today ultra settings in Crysis still look great. The nature of their seemless first person universe pretty much dictated a modified cryengine 3 as really the only viable game engine. It also has the ability to cull polygons that aren't being looked at to reduce system demand.

It isn't the most efficient engine by any stretch, but it really is the only engine capable of the design that CR has in mind.

It is now called the Star Citizen Engine, the cry engine is heavily overhauled and in Foundry 42 Germany the original cryengine devs are actually working on the new Star Citizen Engine, it is one of a kind with it's 64-bit positioning and streaming for planet side landing, this game is epic awesome.

And yes we are talking about the CE V?

Source

Addenum: The second (and still current) downloader was made by a guy who worked at Blizzard before, so using BitTorrent protocol seems to fit that. He left CIG last year. I think it works for Blizzard, because they change and deliver a set of small files with each update.

CIG is very afraid off modding (because that exposes what mod creators can do and CIG is unable to), so they lock down, obfuscate and encrypt everything inside huge BLOBs, maybe adding extra garbage to make the total game size AAA-tier. Without encryption someone could just spawn ships in the hanger he didn't pay for like in the early days and the whole business model would fold. That issue also contributes of the huge download size. Even unchanged assets being re-encrypted and have to be downloaded again all the time.

I have a question regarding modding: does anybody know if somebody pre-orders the modding documentation from the store, is the payment immediately completed, or is it really just a pre-order and the payment is pre-authorized, but not yet sent over?
I'm mostly curious because I wish to know whether CIG is really accepting money for something that should be available for free in the first place, and is also for a feature that as far as I know is pretty much indefinitely delayed. But if it's really just a pre-order and no money is actually sent over until the documentation is actually available, then that's fine.

I have a question regarding modding: does anybody know if somebody pre-orders the modding documentation from the store, is the payment immediately completed, or is it really just a pre-order and the payment is pre-authorized, but not yet sent over?
I'm mostly curious because I wish to know whether CIG is really accepting money for something that should be available for free in the first place, and is also for a feature that as far as I know is pretty much indefinitely delayed. But if it's really just a pre-order and no money is actually sent over until the documentation is actually available, then that's fine.

Only way to know is to try, however I don't know if its drawn from your account or not.

New topic for the new thread: wings on spaceships capable of 8-14g acceleration in vertical axis, why?

Unless you're in atmosphere wings are a complete liability, and tbh closest to spherical as possible is the most efficient & strongest use of materials unless you have to put things like weapons or engines a certain distance away from the crew, or components are a certain size/shape...

Ships won't look very nice, though! :p

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Addenum: The second (and still current) downloader was made by a guy who worked at Blizzard before, so using BitTorrent protocol seems to fit that. He left CIG last year. I think it works for Blizzard, because they change and deliver a set of small files with each update.

CIG is very afraid off modding (because that exposes what mod creators can do and CIG is unable to), so they lock down, obfuscate and encrypt everything inside huge BLOBs, maybe adding extra garbage to make the total game size AAA-tier. Without encryption someone could just spawn ships in the hanger he didn't pay for like in the early days and the whole business model would fold. That issue also contributes of the huge download size. Even unchanged assets being re-encrypted and have to be downloaded again all the time.

TBH Modding is always problematic for MMO-style games especially with PVP, as they can potentially destroy balance. I wouldn't blame CIG for being nervous about that.

However, if they originally offered mod support with SC being a single-player experience you can see where this particular issue comes from: changing scope.

Major Tom and Oddball had a spherical Flying Orange and the mini ship Segment One if I remember right.

They battled Space Pirates too ;) Oh I'm getting old lol

I wouldn't blame CIG for being nervous about that.

I'd certainly blame them for fundraising on delivering mod support and continuing to sell an imaginary manual for it knowing full well it won't be delivered.

Burying a vague mention of it in an obscure Disco Lando comment on a single video while continuing to sell that online is pretty distasteful and deceptive. But then, that's what CIG seems to do best.

Last edited:
TBH Modding is always problematic for MMO-style games especially with PVP, as they can potentially destroy balance. I wouldn't blame CIG for being nervous about that.
But in pre-alpha without any persistence that is completely irrelevant. Unless you are a mediocre early-access game developer in danger of mod makers showing your incompetence, because they are better than you in actually making a game and doing it for free. That's what they fear, nothing else.

Despite this CIG promised a non-MMO with private servers and modding support during KS.

marx said:
I have a question regarding modding: does anybody know if somebody pre-orders the modding documentation from the store
You pay immediately for the JPEG of a modding documentation book. What else? ;)

Last edited:
Isn't it great that "changing scope" and making much much more money is a convenient excuse not to deliver on any of your Kickstarter promises like VR... making more money allows you to wipe the slate clean of old promises, and come up with all-new all-shiny promises!

"Is Star Citizen an MMO?

No! Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series. The game will include the option for private servers, like Freelancer, and will offer plenty of opportunities for players who are interested in modding the content. Unlike many games, none of these aspects is an afterthought: they all combine to form the core of the Star Citizen experience."

Last edited:

I suspect that CIG as a studio has an underlying culture of "reinvent everything!", as there is no reason I can think of why they wouldn't just license an off-the-shelf binary patching solution. They'd save bandwidth, their customers would save bandwidth. Instead they go through the theatre of "oh yeah, that patcher is total junk and needs to be replaced, we know... we have someone working on a new one", then shove someone poor junior sap on it who will no doubt get thrust into the spotlight in an AtV interview at some point.

Even if it needs to be done in house (because CryEngine!), it speaks to a total lack of knowledge of how their content is deployed, i.e. when the content is built from source, what are its siblings at runtime (so they can be be serialized sequentially to optimise load times), how many scenarios it is used in (one off, in which case it can live in a single level's chunk, or all over the place, in which case store it in a resource file that is always loaded), when it is serialized into paks, when is the serialized data encrypted... Without that knowledge, you can't attack the problem, and you address that problem early if you are going to have the community do your testing, or you (and your customers) get very expensive data bills...

@Electofreak, re post in previous thread.... Yep I am a total noob in SC. As I said before, early testing was one of the worst gaming experiences of my life. I believe you that there are additional modes, but unless you can directly alter pitch, roll, and yaw my opinion stands. I will invest more time in SC when it releases :).

Isn't it great that "changing scope" and making much much more money is a convenient excuse not to deliver on any of your Kickstarter promises like VR... making more money allows you to wipe the slate clean of old promises, and come up with all-new all-shiny promises!

"Is Star Citizen an MMO?

No! Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series. The game will include the option for private servers, like Freelancer, and will offer plenty of opportunities for players who are interested in modding the content. Unlike many games, none of these aspects is an afterthought: they all combine to form the core of the Star Citizen experience."

A 3 course meal (with wine, obviously) is a great thing, just not when it's all served at once in the same bowl... which is why you find that most on-line games don't support modding at all.

I have no idea how it will work, unless the modding is strictly private server/offline and modded content is firewalled from the public servers - maybe by making sure that all official assets are signed, unsigned aka modded items don't spawn in public. Dark Souls 3's problems with hacked items is an example of where things can go wrong!

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom