The Star Citizen Thread v5

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
A 3 course meal (with wine, obviously) is a great thing, just not when it's all served at once in the same bowl... which is why you find that most on-line games don't support modding at all.

I have no idea how it will work, unless the modding is strictly private server/offline and modded content is firewalled from the public servers - maybe by making sure that all official assets are signed, unsigned aka modded items don't spawn in public. Dark Souls 3's problems with hacked items is an example of where things can go wrong!

My recollection was that private servers and modding were presented for reasons like "Your clan can train on your Idris in safety without getting n00bled by goons with video cameras..."

I doubt if anyone at CIG does either at this point - that was firmly launched into the long grass..

Surely you mean refactored, analysed by QA, inspected by CR, and announced as being in the game already ;)

"Yes you can buy clothes, you can choose to add flair to your hangars, you can even choose which ships you want to purchase. These all modify the base game, so we decided that instead of spending time developing modding assets as a separate mod mod, we modded them in to the base game so all that functionality is, urm, you know, there!"

Lulz

Last edited:
EDIT:
My bad, I thought the video is down. For some reasons it said "Video not available" when I tried to watch it with a smartphone, but now I see it works.

Ah, snap.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Just reading the Reddit thread about the latest patch. Doesn't make for pretty reading. People with 980 cards getting 15-20 fps. Others saying "it's a slide show" Ships still spawning in mid air and other stuff.

They're re writing network code. Again. Or they're still rewriting it from when they started, what 2 years ago?

Last edited:
Ah, snap.

Just reading the Reddit thread about the latest patch. Doesn't make for pretty reading. People with 980 cards getting 15-20 fps. Others saying "it's a slide show" Ships still spawning in mid air and other stuff.

They're re writing network code. Again. Or they're still rewriting it from when they started, what 2 years ago?

I prefer to think of it as forward planning.

They've simply programmed the thing in anticipation of equipment 10 times as powerful as we have now. Yet again they are ahead of the curve. If the industry can't keep pace well...

I'm sure 20 years in the future, CR will try to make another comeback saying how technology wasn't ready for his dreams yet "back then".
Speaking of deja vu...

He might launch a video in a few years time - "They thought I was dead. I am an interactive movie!"

I suspect that CIG as a studio has an underlying culture of "reinvent everything!", as there is no reason I can think of why they wouldn't just license an off-the-shelf binary patching solution.
As if someone has been out of the loop since the 90s and ignores everything we learned since then. Including the (wrong) assumption, that ongoing hardware upgrades will fix bad performance.

The first thing the SC client does is asking for UAC elevation and then runs everything (!) at highest privilege, which puts the computer at a huge security and safety risk. Most likely based on the outdated assumption that software can't break hardware.

The client also puts the user data inside the game directory, just like games did 20 years ago. It's like a Windows 98 game suddenly appeared in 2013-2016.

In fact I used a workaround intended for broken games from the past: a compatibility database making the client believe it's running on Windows XP with admin privileges. Filesystem virtualisation (introduced in 2006) then solves the rest.

He might launch a video in a few years time - "They thought I was dead. I am an interactive movie!"
This was a good one. :D SC/SQ42 not only throws you back into the cheesy FMV era, it also carefully replicates all technological issues solved since then - for a real 1990s gaming experience.

Last edited:

Ha!

They said I was dead. They said gameplay was king. Now they say PC games are doing better than ever. I say to you, the reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated... I am 90s style FMV you can't skip!

As if someone has been out of the loop since the 90s and ignores everything we learned since then.

Nail on the head. Now imagine someone that ill-informed ALSO being an obsessive micromanager constantly telling employees to redo work, not knowing exactly what's involved in making it all fit together... Money is no replacement for experience. Or competence.

I think it would go a little something... like this...

Last edited:
I can see it now. Full immersion guaranteed by handcrafted compression artefacts, carefully designed by teams of magic Germans. Unparalleled Mocap of 52x CD-ROM trays opening and closing. We'll even default the audio to PC speaker and randomly issue procedurally generated beeps. Music score will be in the highest fidelity MIDI we can find, and we will deliver all of this to you in a massively multiplayer fashion with full persistence. The only limit to the amount of players is who can still remember to find a NE2000 driver and some 10/base2 :D

TLDR -- Reverse the 'Verse: Episode 97
  • 2.4 is not likely to release today, still have some blockers that need to get fixed before it can be released.
  • Buccaneer Q&A Part 2 goes up today and the Drake market survey winner will be announced this weekend.
  • Monthly Report drops today after final edits are finished.
  • Current Caterpillar owners will receive the cargo version of the Caterpillar with all the modules being cargo.
  • Shubin Application winners will be notified sometime today and later on in the weekend/week they'll have an official announcement post.
  • Million Mile High Club will have item ports, but hasn't had work on it just yet.
  • Tubed Starmap posters are ready to ship soon, just figuring out some logisitics for warehousing, expect shipping in the next couple of weeks
  • Also if you haven't updated your shipping address and purchased one, contact support and Alexis will get that taken care of as there was a deadline awhile back.
  • Jump Point book is still in production. There has been some recent edits that David Ladyman has to go through. They'll give word once a clearer shipping date is available.
  • Base Reliant for now will only be on sale along with the Starfarer and Gemini when 2.4 is live. This is subject to change.
  • LA office tour will happen when Chris gets back from Europe.
  • No presence at E3 this year apart from devs going there on their own time as fans.
Ship Status Updates

• [Cutlass's Role] It's intended to raid convoys, loot what you want and get out. Matt Sherman on last week's ATV talks specifically about the Drake family and their roles
  • [Dragonfly concept] It's coming up soon, just have to wait a little longer.
  • [Origin] They're making another ship, can't give details on it at this point.
  • [RSI] Apart from the Polaris and future Aurora rework, nothing is in the pipeline.
  • [Consolidated Outland] They will be making more ships in the future after the success of the Mustang, but nothing in the active pipeline as of right now, just concepts.
  • [Variants] Standard disclaimer: When base models are finished or when more resources are freed up, then they'll move onto variants.
  • [Large ships] Standard disclaimer: Apart from SQ42 ships, they're scheduled for later in the year. The first larger ship in production now is the Carrack.
  • [Argo] They would like to sell it, just have to figure out some stuff first before that can happen.
Source:http://imperialnews.network/2016/06/reverse-the-verse-episode-97-liveblog/

Last edited:
TLDR -- Reverse the 'Verse: Episode 97
  • 2.4 is not likely to release today, still have some blockers that need to get fixed before it can be released.
  • Buccaneer Q&A Part 2 goes up today and the Drake market survey winner will be announced this weekend.
  • Monthly Report drops today after final edits are finished.
  • Current Caterpillar owners will receive the cargo version of the Caterpillar with all the modules being cargo.
  • Shubin Application winners will be notified sometime today and later on in the weekend/week they'll have an official announcement post.
  • Million Mile High Club will have item ports, but hasn't had work on it just yet.
  • Tubed Starmap posters are ready to ship soon, just figuring out some logisitics for warehousing, expect shipping in the next couple of weeks
  • Also if you haven't updated your shipping address and purchased one, contact support and Alexis will get that taken care of as there was a deadline awhile back.
  • Jump Point book is still in production. There has been some recent edits that David Ladyman has to go through. They'll give word once a clearer shipping date is available.
  • Base Reliant for now will only be on sale along with the Starfarer and Gemini when 2.4 is live. This is subject to change.
  • LA office tour will happen when Chris gets back from Europe.
  • No presence at E3 this year apart from devs going there on their own time as fans.
Ship Status Updates

• [Cutlass's Role] It's intended to raid convoys, loot what you want and get out. Matt Sherman on last week's ATV talks specifically about the Drake family and their roles
  • [Dragonfly concept] It's coming up soon, just have to wait a little longer.
  • [Origin] They're making another ship, can't give details on it at this point.
  • [RSI] Apart from the Polaris and future Aurora rework, nothing is in the pipeline.
  • [Consolidated Outland] They will be making more ships in the future after the success of the Mustang, but nothing in the active pipeline as of right now, just concepts.
  • [Variants] Standard disclaimer: When base models are finished or when more resources are freed up, then they'll move onto variants.
  • [Large ships] Standard disclaimer: Apart from SQ42 ships, they're scheduled for later in the year. The first larger ship in production now is the Carrack.
  • [Argo] They would like to sell it, just have to figure out some stuff first before that can happen.
Source:http://imperialnews.network/2016/06/reverse-the-verse-episode-97-liveblog/

Thanks for that Rolan. Even by my low standards it gets a bit dull in here without any news of the actual alpha progress!

Ah, snap.

That's what you get when you have half-decade of the constant progress.............

scit5_zpseoyy1pgb.jpg

To be fair - writing a real-time, multiplayer, multilevel, multiprotocol, low latency and tamper proof network architecture and topology is an exceedingly hard thing to do.

Let's look at this thing from a... um, from a standpoint of status. What do we got on the spacecraft that's good?

To be fair - writing a real-time, multiplayer, multilevel, multiprotocol, low latency and tamper proof network architecture and topology is an exceedingly hard thing to do.

Sure it is,especially when you building a game in the engine that's not that friendly for all of that....

I dunno. They took all the interesting coloured cockpit stuff out my Freelancer and replaced it with Generic Meh :( the guns sound a bit wimpy and I am sure some are missing. I haven't bothered trying to fire missiles yet. I find my gameplay most fun by shutting myself in the cargo bay and pretending I had a train set, or maybe even looking for some mould to talk to. The lobster is not a great conversationalist.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom