The Star Citizen Thread v5

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Pure speculation of course, but.... Could Redit have been asked to take the post down due to legal action being taken?

Purely speculative yes by either side, both or a judge. Restrictions are very common, search any news site for as many examples as you like of "cannot be named for legal reasons".

CIG devs discussing current progress in a video released this week:

Sean Tracy:
Well there's a lot of LITTLE STUFF but there's some BIG TICKET ITEMS and some of the BIG TICKET ITEMS all centre around SQUADRON 42 so we've got AI and CINEMATICS... and a lot of people would think that they're not necessarily related, but within STAR CITIZEN they absolutely are, because we NEED to be able to SIGNAL these AI to transition into the very CINEMATIC MODES that we've got... we've got SO MUCH performance capture that we want to ahhh... allow this player to experience... we've got these HUGE NAME ACTORS, we want you to be WITHIN THAT STORY but at the same time we don't wanna just cut out to a... DECOUPLED CUT SCENE where a camera's flying around... we want you to be LIVING in this world...

Brian Chambers:
That's the one thing, I mean the... I was answering some questions earlier and they were like 'oh, are you gonna do a TRANSITION and then it's a... just a BIG CUT SCENE with no interaction and the answer is IT'S ALL OVER THE PLACE, there's so many things that we're creatively doing seamlessly... sometimes the player's on rails... sometimes you cut away but only for CERTAIN REASONS if it helps with the STORY and all that... and all that with AI in it, that's just... MESS

Sean Tracy:
That's right and we... you know... we... we got them REACTING to you, we need them having CONVERSATIONS with you, we need them giving you MISSIONS, we need... ah... all level of... all levels of different INTERPLAY between it... and then... we've got so much CONTENT that we HAVE TO GET IN so we have to figure out the BEST WAY to get it in because... uhm... SURE we can do these... the... the kind of OLD STYLE WAY were actually plugging in very bespoke scripted sequences... but AGAIN when we've got HOURS AND HOURS OF CINEMATICS, when we've got... hours and hours of GAMEPLAY that has to play between the two... we have to be very intelligent over how we actually implement this... this WORK

Brian Chambers:
And in part of that process, at least that I've been involved in, I mean, we're creating a system that from the foundation is going to... allow for all these different TYPES of events, behaviours, the different WAYS we want them triggered... all the VARIABLES we want them to do and not do... and that I think is what a lot of that focus has been on, is 'OK, what is that SOLID FOUNDATION' and get the rest of those, just FEW QUESTIONS that are UNANSWERED, get those SORTED.

Sean Tracy:
Right and when we have so many questions like that... it's a lot easier for everybody to get TOGETHER, uhm... because... like... LIKE YOU SAID we... we... we COLLABORATE really well across the STUDIOS... BUT!... Ah... There is something to be said for ALL OF THE PEOPLE being in ONE PLACE because you get this one little question HERE, this one little question HERE, before long you're DEATH BY A THOUSAND PAPERCUTS because... ah... if you've gotta wait a few hours for that answer you can't just really quickly COME UP WITH A NICE DESIGN PLAN so... there's things we're ADJUSTING like the ANIMATION PIPELINE to make it so we can accomplish all these AI AND CINEMATICS

Look at this. LOOK AT IT. They do not appear to have figured out basic things like how the story is delivered but went ahead and spent an unknown (but surely huge) sum of money on motion capture and big name actors.

I don't think 'making it up as you go along' is a viable method of game development. If this is where they're at it'll be a miracle if they can even deliver something before 2018.

CIG for breach of copyright I would imagine. I don't know if the sub judice laws apply to civil cases.

I hope so, it's time they get a lesson, they're not some small indicompany who struggles with money. They make these concepts arts and get a pile of free money. It should cost them to pull a number like that.

Last edited:

Brett C

Frontier
Pure speculation of course, but.... Could Redit have been asked to take the post down due to legal action being taken?

Nope, that's our forum filter... filtering out swear words (and please don't evade it, the mods will be cross :p). If people want to visit that page, they can guess the four letters that use to fit in there.

Look at this. LOOK AT IT. They do not appear to have figured out basic things like how the story is delivered but went ahead and spent an unknown (but surely huge) sum of money on motion capture and big name actors.

I don't think 'making it up as you go along' is a viable method of game development. If this is where they're at it'll be a miracle if they can even deliver something before 2018.
That's kinda worrying.

I wonder what sudden cut-aways and being forced onto rails for bits will be like in a modern VR-ready game?

OH no wait, nevermind.

Nope, that's our forum filter... filtering out swear words (and please don't evade it, the mods will be cross :p). If people want to visit that page, they can guess the four letters that use to fit in there.

Nope its not that :) the post on reddit is taken down, nothing to do with you guys.

Beats me how anyone can look at that - the current state of the "T" patch and still think SQ42 is coming out this year. And as for having anything of any significance for Gamescom...

Yet - in a faraway forum unsurprisingly there's a different view :D

https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...sean-tracy-and-brian-chambers-together-in-atv

Last edited:
Beats me how anyone can look at that - the current state of the "T" patch and still think SQ42 is coming out this year. And as for having anything of any significance for Gamescom...

Yet - in a faraway forum unsurprisingly there's a different view :D

https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...sean-tracy-and-brian-chambers-together-in-atv

Don't worry they are cheerful and happy chaps!
fish-slapping-o.gif

Last edited:

Tssk, not even a hint of an uppsala mafia cheese smuggling ring. How dull.

Mu77ley

Volunteer Moderator

Oh, my word. This is stuff that should have been nailed down before they even started shooting mo-cap...

What I don't get is... this stuff just plain works in CE. It's really difficult to eff this up. I'm genuinely curious whether they rewrote the Skeleton and IK system in CE and replaced it with something else. I'm guessing here... but I'm beginning to suspect it's not actually a resource loading issue, but a skeletal animation issue.

Astonishing. I've already overdosed on my Friday morning lulz. This kind of thing can only ever hope to attain MVP levels - there is absolutely no way that any of this is following a precise design brief with defined goals.

What I don't get is... this stuff just plain works in CE. It's really difficult to eff this up. I'm genuinely curious whether they rewrote the Skeleton and IK system in CE and replaced it with something else. I'm guessing here... but I'm beginning to suspect it's not actually a resource loading issue, but a skeletal animation issue.

For me the analogy is they bought a perfectly functional car then decided they wanted to make it fly.

So they super glued some wings and other "planey" stuff on it but it just won't fly.

And it doesn't work as a car either now.

Astonishing. I've already overdosed on my Friday morning lulz. This kind of thing can only ever hope to attain MVP levels - there is absolutely no way that any of this is following a precise design brief with defined goals.

You're right about that one, is all like "its Friday, what shall we do now, anyone?"

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom