The Star Citizen Thread v5

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
We'll make a jaded cynic out of you yet :p

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity" - Hanlon's Razor

Last edited:
....it´s kind when you know that bartender is stealing...but you also know that he ain't that stupid to steal a bill&$ from the cash-register....

Last edited:

jcrg99

Banned
Do you think the reported developer numbers are faked, too? If not, where does CIG get all that money to pay them?

Do you have the info about how many hours these employees work? I mean. I could create a project and make a list of employees saying that I have 300 devs "working". Except that from these 300, just 20 work 8 hours-day, 5 days-week. The rest just worked eventually, were temporary contracts or something.

In other words, I believe that the followers of this project assume too much or are just too quickly satisfied by very superficial information that not necessarily means too much or even an actual effoet to progress and to release.

Last edited:

jcrg99

Banned
See on the one hand I'd agree with you when simply looking at the very low perceived active userbase.

On the other hand hand... their reddit has an average monthly sub growth of ~2750.
Even if you'd consider a conversion rate of 25% that'd still put them at exactly 11k monthly accounts, and honestly... 25% player-to-reddit conversion rate would be incredibly high for a game.
Elite's is closer to 5%, LoL and Overwatch are roughly 3%, R6 Siege and CSGO are closer to 2%

As incredulous as it is to believe that people are still throwing money at what a bunch of us perceive as a trainwreck of a project... they do some good marketing and new players will not have the same history as long term backers might not be scared off (yet) by the negativity some in here feel towards CIG.

The funding tracker is a different matter altogether, but someone here brought up the valid point that they would've most likely gone out of bussiness a couple months ago if that cash flow wasn't at least mostly accurate.

At the end of the day if you look at how easily a game like Ashes of Creation accrues multiple millions worth of kickstarter money and tens of thousands of fans by doing exactly the same as CR (promising any nerd's wet dream with no regard for technological feasibility or professional experience)... I think it's actually safer to just bet on the peerless depths of human stupidity than on outright lies :T

The same individual can have a lot of reddit accounts. With the obsession of fans to show suppport for the game that is not something that should be discarded. That's why I think that counting reddits, specially in the SC case, where people have this agenda, does not say too much.

The same individual can have a lot of reddit accounts. With the obsession of fans to show suppport for the game that is not something that should be discarded. That's why I think that counting reddits, specially in the SC case, where people have this agenda, does not say too much.

By this same logic, these individuals would have equally as many duplicate SC accounts. It's not "new" players, but it doesn't make their website metrics false.
I would love to agree with you on the suspiciousness of a tracker that's CIG-only without any unbiased proof of the numbers, but the hard statistics we do have access to are in favour of the assumption that there's just this many people in the world to dupe into buying before trying.

Again, never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity.

jcrg99

Banned
By this same logic, these individuals would have equally as many duplicate SC accounts. It's not "new" players, but it doesn't make their website metrics false.
I would love to agree with you on the suspiciousness of a tracker that's CIG-only without any unbiased proof of the numbers, but the hard statistics we do have access to are in favour of the assumption that there's just this many people in the world to dupe into buying before trying.

Again, never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity.
The whales spent thousands of dollars on it. Something that does not happen with other games. You are underestimating their resolve and "need" to support SC by whatever means they have in their hands.

Last edited:
I am not sure that in general terms, as an outsider looking to the game industry as a whole, they would consider Star Citizen high profile. I don't think that its absurd. You are also assuming that all people on shady business are not stupid. Most of them actually are very stupid.

Well...Croberts certainly not wearing an Stocking Mask on his head and yelling this is a robbery....c´mon...dude..he ain´t stupid...I mean we can all assume that he is possibly doing some kind of "shady-business"but to prove that in court ....pffff....thats far....actually...very far away from reality....

Last edited:

jcrg99

Banned
Well...Croberts certainly not wearing an Stocking Mask on his head and yelling this is a robbery....c´mon...dude..he ain´t stupid...I mean we can all assume that he is possibly doing some kind of shady business but to prove that in court ....pffff..thats far...very far away from reality....

Certainly. For courts there are other things that can make RSI business to end without need of actual crimes needed to be proven. And the proves are public domain. Not even necessary to check their books for that. Just presenting the consumer issue, false ad/deceptive claims is enough.

Last edited:

jcrg99

Banned
....Good luck with that........

I am not doing that. Only because I don't have the time and I am far of US right now. No luck is needed for those who decide to go further. Just time, resolve and money and of course, a person established in US.

Actually you got that backwards. RSI will be incredibly lucky if not getting successful lawsuits against them before or after this ending (release). Good luck for them and for those who keep applauding the company's attitude that only makes them more and more easy cake for lawsuits AND competitors AND employees AND partners AND consumer authorities.
I guess we all agree that more important than the company, its business and Star Citizen, is the proud of fans defending the egos of Roberts and Sandi, instead the rest.
Their "mistakes" have no importance right? Will see.

Last edited:
Happy Hour: June 2nd, 2017
TLDR
  • Today's Happy Hour featured guests Mark Abent, Kirk Tome, and Chad McKinney talking about Item system 2.0 and what it means to 3.0 and beyond.
  • Item system 2.0 isn't a single entity, but the technology that allows them to customize objects infinitely more than before. CryEngine before used Logic blocks which worked well, until you wanted something different from them. Item System 2.0 removes the logic from the blocks and allows developers to put in whatever they'd like. So instead of getting into a ship and having it automatically turning on, now you can get into the ship and sit there. From there you can turn on individual systems or turn them off at any given time. You can also have a co-pilot manipulate the shields in specific ways such as how much power is diverted to them or the direction the shields can be focused. Power can be diverted from weapons to engines to give a better chance of escape, etc.
  • Locking your ship likely won't be in 3.0 as it's more involved than just a simple lock, but designing a security system to allow for passage of certain players and the system can be adapted to more than just doors.
  • All ships have to be converted to Item system 2.0 for 3.0.
  • For the first release there won't be restrictions on ship components as they want to test to system to make sure it works, down the line they'll tweak it to have certain ships only allow certain components.
  • They posted a sneak peek of the ship stats page revamp and said that anytime a ship changes, they'll update it right away.

Unless I had access to your birth certificate.

*sigh*

No, then still not. You missed the point. Lying is not the same as saying something that isnt true. Lying means you know it isnt true, at the time of saying it. Even if you knew my name for a fact, and knew I said my name is something else, you still dont know if I said a lie. All you know is I said something that isnt true. There is never 100% certainty of someone lying. If you dont get that, you either dont know what the definition of lying is, what 100% means, what certainty means or how the brain works.

Last edited:
Any ship will be able to have any component to start with?

Components are not defined but are variables under modular designations in Item 2.0?

Ships are components under 2.0?

All ships need conversion to 2.0 before they can be in 3.0?

Item 2.0 seems to break more than it solves here - why can't they define the correct components that describe the modular basis of the ships and select the relationships between them in Item 2.0 so that it describes a Aurora, or a Javelin, or whatever?

If ships have so many custom components that makes this impossible, then what was the purpose of a modular design, and what is the purpose of making a new custom item description engine that cannot describe customized modules?

The mind boggles.

Anyway - my mates here, machine is quite nicely specced, but as ugly as a sack of toads, and he's made the utter n00b mistake of bringing the wrong type of power cable. Copied my install of SC onto SSD, and we're going to see just what we can get up to in Olisar - and if his cheapo 1080 chokes :D

Meh - was fun for a bit - got bored of the wholly usual spinning ships and crashes. Now we're just going to play Q3A and finish off the beer :D

Last edited:
*sigh*

No, then still not. You missed the point. Lying is not the same as saying something that isnt true. Lying means you know it isnt true, at the time of saying it. Even if you knew my name for a fact, and knew I said my name is something else, you still dont know if I said a lie. All you know is I said something that isnt true. There is never 100% certainty of someone lying. If you dont get that, you either dont know what the definition of lying is, what 100% means, what certainty means or how the brain works.

*sigh*

No I didn't miss the point. To be honest I thought it a rather silly example that only deserved a silly response.

It doesn't matter if 100% certainty is there or not, if there is a situation where someone is inclined to tell a lie then we can say that, beyond reasonable doubt, they were lying due to having an ulterior motive, ie for fraudulent reasons. Technicality be damned.

On numerous occasions you have said that Sean Murray lied. If he was to say that at the time of making his comments he believed them to be true, would that suffice?

he ain´t stupid
lol :D
Everything he has done over the last 5+ years says otherwise :D
I don't think he has a clue at all and has the mentality of a 7 year old kid.
What comes out of CR mouth is just spectacular. His biggest downfall is not keep that big mouth shut.
-
Can't believe you're still all talking about CR and lying. He's lied outright to peoples faces on numerous occasions...and not littles ones at that...big huge whopping fibs! :(

Last edited:

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
See on the one hand I'd agree with you when simply looking at the very low perceived active userbase.

On the other hand hand... their reddit has an average monthly sub growth of ~2750.
Even if you'd consider a conversion rate of 25% that'd still put them at exactly 11k monthly accounts, and honestly... 25% player-to-reddit conversion rate would be incredibly high for a game.
Elite's is closer to 5%, LoL and Overwatch are roughly 3%, R6 Siege and CSGO are closer to 2%

As incredulous as it is to believe that people are still throwing money at what a bunch of us perceive as a trainwreck of a project... they do some good marketing and new players will not have the same history as long term backers might not be scared off (yet) by the negativity some in here feel towards CIG.

The funding tracker is a different matter altogether, but someone here brought up the valid point that they would've most likely gone out of bussiness a couple months ago if that cash flow wasn't at least mostly accurate.

At the end of the day if you look at how easily a game like Ashes of Creation accrues multiple millions worth of kickstarter money and tens of thousands of fans by doing exactly the same as CR (promising any nerd's wet dream with no regard for technological feasibility or professional experience)... I think it's actually safer to just bet on the peerless depths of human stupidity than on outright lies :T

How easy is to fake subreddit new accounts? And, are there actually any active and practical ways to get them "in bulk"?

Last edited:
Now that all our messages are strictly ordered we’ve been able to streamline the processing, allowing us to send and receive messages with less overhead.

First of all: told you so. One entire bugsmasher ep was just CIG showing they hadn't figured this out yet.

Second of all: uh no, actually in-sequence messaging *adds overhead*, but it can be neccessary for consistency depending on your other design choices.

It's amazing. We are watching an entire company learn the basics of distributed systems.

Can't wait for them to discover Brewer's CAP Theorem....

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom