The Star Citizen Thread v8

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Just hopping in quickly to wish you all a merry Christmas, my surroundings look more wet then white but I hope some of you folks have the proper ambience too :)

/cheers

Not down in FL. The GF took me down to see her mom and aunt. Very nice weather. Wish SpaceX had a launch this week... but thank you and happy Holidays to you and yours.

Well, I've finally finished downloading 3.0 and it actually runs better than I would have thought after reading all the posts from closed PTU players. The main problem for my system seems to be twofold, one problem is that the system can't stream data fast enough, due to me having installed the game on my 2 TB Storage HDD, a Samsung HD204UI, instead of a SSD, so I get small freezes when the game has to wait for the datastream to catch up and two beeing that my vidcard simply doesn't have enough Vram. My current system looks like this: i7 2600 on a H67 mainboard with 16 Gigs of ram, a GTX 670 with 2 Gig of VRam, running win10 on my 120 Gig SSD and everything else from the mentioned Samsung HD204UI HDD. It runs actually quite acceptable in arenacomander but then it also doesn't have to stream that much data in that mode. I'm getting a constant 30-35 FPS in Arenacomander even with lots going on and, if I leav my toon standing around for a bit so that the game can cache enough data, I get around 15-20 fps on crusader. That is until the game runs out of data and has to stream new stuff from my disk wich sends performance down the crapper. So having a fast SSD, preferably a PCI-E SSD, should help imensly to reduce stuttering caused by caching and also vidcard with 4 gig or more VRam seems to be absolutely the lowest one should use.

Edit: Also one thing that I foun d to be kinda anoying is the two speeds that the chararcter can move in. You can basically either walk around insanely slow or run around like an idiot. It would be really nice if there was some sort of fast walking speed avaliable.

I think the mouse thumb wheel is an analog walk speed controller?

And when do you expect that they will change/tweak the Flight Model?Like half an hour before the final release of the game or what?

Well FPS mostly depend on what server you get connected if you are playing 3.0 PU,for me it´s been from 15-20 and sometimes can go from 25-35,which means that its more network limitation.....anyway yeah SSD it´s a MUST I also tried first on regular HDD and beside the much slower loading I had occasional stutterings,you will avoid all of that on SSD it´s way more fluid but then again we talking about 20-30 frames Fidelity...

Well considering all the ships are not on game yet... i hope that the flight model continues to get tweaks for the duration of the entire game start to finish...

Last edited:
Continuing the complaints about cockpits... i dont understand the big deal. I've been a pilot for 25+ years and quite a few aircraft, like some early WW2 warbirds and cold war era Soviet stuff are abysmal for both layout and visibvisibiolity. Ever flown a MiG-21? I have... visibility and cockpit layout is by far the most horrific I've ever had to expexperienced. Or we can discuss the visibility of early Bf 109s or the American P40s... CR wants to bring the feeling of WW2 to SQ42. He has said so repeatedly. Not every ship is going to have the cockpit of a Vulture or Keelback... thank goodness.

Oh really? don't even know what you're building this on, the view from the MIG-21 is compared to the clutter crap in SC excellent, but maybe CR got some high valued advice from some of the true aviators backing this mess of a game.

BTW this is how it looks from a MIG-21

[video=youtube;pxU61nzbijk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxU61nzbijk[/video]

Continuing the complaints about cockpits... i dont understand the big deal. I've been a pilot for 25+ years and quite a few aircraft, like some early WW2 warbirds and cold war era Soviet stuff are abysmal for both layout and visibvisibiolity. Ever flown a MiG-21? I have... visibility and cockpit layout is by far the most horrific I've ever had to expexperienced. Or we can discuss the visibility of early Bf 109s or the American P40s... CR wants to bring the feeling of WW2 to SQ42. He has said so repeatedly. Not every ship is going to have the cockpit of a Vulture or Keelback... thank goodness.

The only reason you don't understand is because you don't want to understand, that's what being a whiteknight is all about.

No one cares about your real life experience with planes from the 1940s era, it doesn't make you an authority on the topic. The only place this sort of UI might have any validity is in a WW2 sim where you might want that sort of authenticity but it certainly does not apply to Star Citizen. CR talking about bringing WW2 to the game was reference to flight model and dogfighting, both of which are miles away from feeling WW2-like.

The view in these ships are like a World Of Warcraft UI from 2007 where people had addons covering the majority of their screen, thankfully gaming has evolved and large steps have been taken to avoid having to play the UI. It looks crap, there's no other way to put it, especially as it's replicating information.

Oh really? don't even know what you're building this on, the view from the MIG-21 is compared to the clutter crap in SC excellent, but maybe CR got some high valued advice from some of the true aviators backing this mess of a game.

BTW this is how it looks from a MIG-21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxU61nzbijk

You do know that the MiG-21 had many revisons right??? The UM showed above was a 3rd Gen trainer..

3rd generation...

The only reason you don't understand is because you don't want to understand, that's what being a whiteknight is all about.

No one cares about your real life experience with planes from the 1940s era, it doesn't make you an authority on the topic. The only place this sort of UI might have any validity is in a WW2 sim where you might want that sort of authenticity but it certainly does not apply to Star Citizen. CR talking about bringing WW2 to the game was reference to flight model and dogfighting, both of which are miles away from feeling WW2-like.

The view in these ships are like a World Of Warcraft UI from 2007 where people had addons covering the majority of their screen, thankfully gaming has evolved and large steps have been taken to avoid having to play the UI. It looks crap, there's no other way to put it, especially as it's replicating information.

Deal with it. Some of the ships have limited and obstructed views. Some do not. Its clear you have yet to look at the currently available ships in game...

SOME don't. Its far from everyone. I dont have an issue with bombers and non fighters having restricted or obstructed views...

Good for you, as I said. Others do. You know not everyone is not like you, right? So that is why people complain about the cockpits. Because a 'real simulation of soviet WW2 planes' is not what many non-you people want. So they say that. Because people dont say what you want them to say, but what they themselves want you to say. What exactly dont you understand?

Btw, how are the amazing recordings of the best ever fun with your awesome org mates going?

You didn't specify you just said MIG-21.

"Ever flown a MiG-21"

Obviously REAL fans want the crappiest verion of a old soviet plane. Next up:"Real SC fans love bugs, it simulates flying jets from Zimbawbe! I dont understand why people dont get it..."

Last edited:
Here I am going to play for a bit 3.0 LIVE if someone of you guys are interesting to watch....Mic is Off...also gonna leave the Fps counter with MEM/CPU/GPU usage for the Info....

[video]https://gaming.youtube.com/c/goliat3333/live[/video]

Here I am going to play for a bit 3.0 LIVE if someone of you guys are interesting to watch....Mic is Off...also gonna leave the Fps counter with MEM/CPU/GPU usage for the Info....

[video]https://gaming.youtube.com/c/goliat3333/live[/url]

Stop typing, start playing! :p

Almost all MiG-21 pits were very similar with far better view than mentioned SC designs that are just not convenient from the game play point of view. The fact that first cars were running literally on steam engines does not mean we should have similar faults in futuristic game, this excuse is just silly.

[video]https://gaming.youtube.com/c/goliat3333/live[/url]

look at this immersive 6-11 fps, Jesus...

Good for you, as I said. Others do. You know not everyone is not like you, right? So that is why people complain about the cockpits. Because a 'real simulation of soviet WW2 planes' is not what many non-you people want. So they say that. Because people dont say what you want them to say, but what they themselves want you to say. What exactly dont you understand?

Btw, how are the amazing recordings of the best ever fun with your awesome org mates going?

Obviously REAL fans want the crappiest verion of a old soviet plane. Next up:"Real SC fans love bugs, it simulates flying jets from Zimbawbe! I dont understand why people dont get it..."

5QZl6D7.jpg

take cover :D
Ykb13WY.jpg

Hi Merlin,
I've found your piloting posts very informative and interesting before, and it's fascinating to hear that you have experience with so many different types of plane.

There's a huge difference between most real world flying, which is almost one dimensional due to following a particular fight path, and space flight, where all three dimensions are important.

Aircraft cockpits with restricted views are fine for the almost one dimensional stuff, but not really acceptable when ships or other hazards can appear from literally anywhere.

Deal with it. Some of the ships have limited and obstructed views. Some do not.
…and the ones that do not make no sense whatsoever from a design perspective — doubly so since they're from the future. There's no reason why anyone should have to deal with that nonsense. If it's done incorrectly — like it is in those cases — CIG is the one that should be dealing with it, not the player. Utterly exquisitely trivial to understand, isn't it?

The whole WWII excuse doesn't work either. While Chris may have had some notion back in 1988 of making a space game with Star Wars-like combat (with SW, in turn, drawing its inspiration from WWII movies), nothing in the current design of SC comes close, or even suggests pointing in that very direction. So it doesn't hold much water to blame cloth-on-wood aerodynamic limitations for how 6DoF glass-cockpit point-and-click ships are piloted.

By the way, the HMI issue with the MiG-21 was always the wide-choke shotgun approach to instrumentation placement that was endemic to all design bureaus (and indeed quite a few western shops… up until Airbus came along :D) — not the view.

Last edited:
Deal with it. Some of the ships have limited and obstructed views. Some do not. Its clear you have yet to look at the currently available ships in game...

Well that did not take long to get to The UI in game is perfect and not critique is permitted

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom