The Star Citizen Thread v8

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Putting on mah cynical hat.

Gaming coverage was blunted by the rabid backlash fans would throw at any site that dare criticize the project. Of course, I'll now be accused of unfairly maligning an entire community. ;) So we only ever got fluff pieces about SC.

The real sign that SC is now irrelevant is that they're now not even doing fluff pieces anymore. You can only talk about the record fund-raising and potential so many times when the potential doesn't manifest.

The only real news left now is the court case. I expect gaming journalism (such as it is) to return to normal service when that nail is finally hammered home.

That refunds sub is now getting weird, almost collapsing in on itself. Threads seem to be battles of words between folks who feel they are giving the most correct advice, or are the most virtuous. And still with secondary arguments about how relevant / correct / etc "Voldsmart" is to the whole affair. I suppose at least 13th July isn't so long to wait for that Firefly guy to have his day in court, in fact one could almost say "Two weeks"...

I suppose at least 13th July isn't so long to wait for that Firefly guy to have his day in court, in fact one could almost say "Two weeks"...

I hope he gets at least some of his money back, but otoh, he and also that youtube guys threw their money into a project which had severely red flags all over it right from the beginning and everybody with some common sense has already known from the beginning that The Emperor Has No Clothes. A development without any checks and balances is doomed to fail, it's really as simple as that.

The red flags were all over the place, they willfully ignored them and now they're whinging and moaning because they've arrived in reality.
As the history of Star Citizen, Enron, Bernie Madoff showed again and again in the last decades some people only learn the hard way.
If this project is liquidated in the not so far away future it will remembered as the biggest pipe dream in human history and it will have consequences for all gaming development projects in the future and those will not be positive ones, I fear.

<snip>

Two things of note have happened this year as regards the gaming press:

1. Charlie Hall (Polygon), a cheerleader for the project, often publishing obvious damage control editorial during times of bad press, has stopped writing about Star Citizen.

2. Future Publishing (parent of PC Gamer etc) applied for a copy of the CIG/Crytek court transcript in March this year.

So the gaming press have *stopped* carrying CIG's trailers, dev schedules and press releases and have started digging for something substantive to write about it.

That sounds like journalism to me.

The gaming press side of the situation is very interesting. It wouldn't take too much of an imagination to conjure up legal scenarios where running articles overstretching the reality of a product could result in collateral damage.

If the websites have stopped carrying ads then they are just worried about being caught up in any fallout from the court case and want to avoid controversy. History will judge them, or rather the Internet will. Also, if they want to run any investigative pieces you can't also be taking their money at the same time.

A / B trading (buying from one location and selling at another) has been in SC since 3.0
Interesting. Thanks for that. Although it appeared there was no way to know what the market average was, a way to interpret supply and demand. Perhaps I missed something but having to swap between the Sell and Buy tabs to work that out is fiddly.

I wonder how long before they implement a trade computer to assist with this....hang on a minute.

If CIG include ways to make it really easy to make in-game currency quicker, with which you can buy ships with, how are they going to promote the sale of ships with real world money?

Hey! Mining. They do have it.

[video=youtube;4eD-kwB37gA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eD-kwB37gA[/video]

Last edited:
The recent influx of mining videos only points out to me how incredibly barebones, basic and empty Star Citizen still is. Its still a tech demo approaching something like an alpha at best. If this is their MVP then sites all over the world will indeed have a field day with this upon release. Time of development and money ̶w̶̶a̶̶s̶̶t̶̶e̶̶d̶ spent on it only multiply the drama factor. Its probably good that the devs themselves call the current mechanic "tier zero" suggesting its the simplest of forms and yet it took em months to accomplish that. While the fanatics are celebrating this as a break-through and are probably just happy that there still is life left in this corpse a more rational character will be able to see how much competence the company behind this commands. I am utterly unimpressed with mining in Star Citizen and really....I cant see what the big deal is. When it comes to SC I learned to instantly disregard the visuals and focus on the stuff behind it. And you know...true to form Star Citizen is 99% good looks and close to no content or foundation.

They did progress more in the last year then the 2 years before that combined tho and if they continue to go the direction they are currently going I m sure they ll get something better out the door but we could as well mark 3.2 as the "starting point" now meaning it ll be another 2 or 3 years before we get a MVP that deserves the name. I really hope it doesnt come to that and CiG goes under before that. Because that ll mean several things.

- more millions down the drain
- giving fanatics confidence that "all is good" in la-la land
- scumbag developers can get away with everything
- there are thousands of ̶s̶̶h̶̶e̶̶e̶̶p̶ players out there you can rip off as much as you want
- a subpar game at best that doesnt deserve the time, resources and effort which went into it over the years

While I m glad that Memnoch provided a video link it only shows how most of SCs gameplay still is a waste of time. The 22 minute video shows a couple of minutes of what its about, the rest is getting into place. Which is needed mind you otherwise people would simply edit a few good looking scenes which scream "fake" but then the ultra-smooth motions, constant 60+ FPS and being completely alone suggest other things to me that say "this cant be right". Especially as the majority of streams are unable to reproduce this environment.

People claiming that they love Star Citizen and have already spent hundreds of hours "playing it" criticize Elite Dangerous for its lack of content and thats something I simply cant get into a hat. With the preferences and frugality (learned a new word :D) these people demonstrate drifting in empty space through a galaxy (ED) should be THE PINNACLE of dreams coming true. But ED suc.ks and SC is great.....I dont get it

When ED get its legs it will leave SC behind in a dust cloud.

🤡CIG is still struggling and the waste of money is mind blowing.
If you support this project if afraid you're ready for the padded room. 🤤

Funding chart has dipped under 300 dollars per hour a couple of times in the last few hours. Think that might be the first time i've ever seen that.

A sign perhaps that subscriptions are falling?

Funding chart has dipped under 300 dollars per hour a couple of times in the last few hours. Think that might be the first time i've ever seen that.

Well, unless there are NEW backers i do not think the ones existing will want to pour in any more $$$.

And in order to gain new backers they surely need start showing something more substantial.

And by their own admission they should have enough money for the job already...regardless if that is true or not...

Watch as it shoots up when "someone" throws a few grand at the problem. ;)

My own viewpoint is:

1 - CIG are running out of cash.
2 - They are rushing to get a MVP product out the door. They need a basic level of performance and basic game mechanics to justify a MVP moniker. It doesn't matter if that is what was promised or good...they will call it placeholder if necessary, but the important aspect is that the feature is there
3 - If they can deliver a legitimate "MVP", then it doesn't really matter how bad it is, or what is missing, or if it lives up to the hype. They can make a decent case to legitimately stop refunds, even in the EU. More importantly, it lets them avoid a certain number of legal entanglements because they would hsve delivered something.
Won't work, at least in EU jurisdiction. There is no special treatment for software here, where "deliver anything" gets you out of jail for free.

The promises including all marketing material (all the trailers) are benchmarked against of what is customary in the market made by other AAA publishers, especially if the customer paid substantially more than the usual rate for a AAA game ($60). If you as a seller want to get away with some kind of bare bones Minecraft in space, you need to communicate exactly that in your marketing material.

We all know Chris Roberts did anything but that. Instead he promised things, which are technically impossible.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom