The Star Citizen Thread v9

With lethal ramps and floors that vanish from existence in an eyeblink, Commando's have evolved to fully use the available terrain to help maximise their chances of survival.

Keeping above the ground may be the key to the future of mankind. Maybe Genuine Roberts watched Tremors recently :D

Yes indeed, crouchy standing on chairs may well be the future. In which case, the iconoclast at the back of the bar actually standing on a table (gasp!) is doomed.

Furniture/posture-based evolution is a cruel leveller.

I have a feeling you guys are going to really enjoy the latest series of videos from CIG. Three more like this one on their youtube channel:

[video=youtube;2FcJykFmMc0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FcJykFmMc0[/video]

I have a feeling you guys are going to really enjoy the latest series of videos from CIG. Three more like this one on their youtube channel:

Yeah, looks pretty good - only one question, how have they managed to figure out time travel and send a video of 2023's gameplay back in time to now?

Even if SC does come to life, I'm already determined to not play the game because of their incessant P2W funding strategies. Now, if SC were to be free I'd kind of understand but AFAIK this will come with the AAA price tag and for that money, I expect more respect.

Are these the famous mission givers or are they preparing to dispense something else?

Neither of the above - they are to Star Citizen what Robert Ford's and Arnold Weber's creations are to Westworld. Except the genius in this case responsible for their incredible verisimilitude is one Tony Z.

Last edited:
Years worth of that guy droning on and on in a THC haze about this amazing AI. Where is all this AI? Shouldn't somebody get started on implementing it?

[video=youtube;2FcJykFmMc0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FcJykFmMc0[/video]

Nicely handcrafted videos are obviously their field of expertise. They know to sell their ships, I'll give 'em that.

Years worth of that guy droning on and on in a THC haze about this amazing AI. Where is all this AI? Shouldn't somebody get started on implementing it?

Nononono.

How can you implement AI before you have designed a good selection of tea cup textures and porcelain shaders so the AI has something form an opinion on and debate over lunch? I mean, look, if you begin designing and implementing AI from the get-go and keep fiddling with it over many many years, you get something like Radiant — Chris does not want his AI to rake carpets, so he's trying the much smarter tactic of just spending a few panicked weeks at the very end. That will obviously work better.

Nononono.

How can you implement AI before you have designed a good selection of tea cup textures and porcelain shaders so the AI has something form an opinion on and debate over lunch? I mean, look, if you begin designing and implementing AI from the get-go and keep fiddling with it over many many years, you get something like Radiant — Chris does not want his AI to rake carpets, so he's trying the much smarter tactic of just spending a few panicked weeks at the very end. That will obviously work better.

Ain't it how Lord Almighty created universe in 7 days ("week, not months" anyone?) ?

All this story reminds me of software factory on same planetoid near black hole, while rest of us live accelerated lives outside of it.

During these 6 years my life has changed fundamentally.

And we are 80'000 posts out to discuss game which is not even in alpha yet.

Looks like you'll be well-entertained by the bulk of the gaming community typing SCAM in all caps whenever Star Citizen is mentioned in any comments section, forum, or chat for many years to come! I hear that sort of entertainment is like, the equivalent of THREE AAA games and totally justifies giving a hasbeen money for jpgs and lies.

Yeah... One of the few places where SC entertains.

A scam?! How rude... No it's the longest, most expensive (and profitable to some) joke ever made.

Ah, more videos of stuff that doesn't exist yet. And some people wonder why some people call it a scam. Its terribly misleading advertising.

They could at least put "No actual in game footage" at the bottom.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
I don't remember Frontier selling space legs on their web store, or in fact selling anything that isn't in their game.

Yeah, marketing of all kinds, in any industry, will always have a degree of "false". The problem when putting CIG marketing at the same level with FDEV marketing is the huge disparity between the advertised and the actual product in the case of CIG, not quite in the "cinematic" aspects (which goes without saying for any cinematic marketing, be it space sims or fantasy MMOs) but rather in the tangible quality, performance and stability of the actual product and the overall misleading impression and representation of product completion (you can call it "Alpha" if you want). Cinematic aspects aside, not even a teeny tiny disclaimer in the case of this Avenger ad, just reckless and shameless missrepresentation of the actual game product quality and completion states at this time.

Last edited:
Yeah, marketing of all kinds, in any industry, will always have a degree of "false". The problem when comparing CIG marketing with FDEV marketing is the huge disparity between the advertised and the actual product in the case of CIG, not quite in the "cinematic" aspects (which goes without saying for any cinematic marketing, be it space sims or fantasy MMOs) but rather in the tangible quality, performance and stability of the actual product.

You can go to the RSI store right now and read all about mining for example, and pay for a mining ship, and get nothing of the sort, and no date when it might be coming.

The issue with CIG isn't the trailers, it's with their 1,000+ marketing videos with explicit descriptions of gameplay none of which exists, most of which isn't designed and some of which they have neither the technology nor talent to produce - for example their networking claims.

Game trailers are equivalent to videogame box art and are unregulated allowing creative freedom.

Making a *claim* for a product is regulated - and the Roberts brothers have made a very long list of claims that has netted them a vast amount of money.

All of this is well understood and well documented and it's crazy that it has to be spelt out to the clergy. This is basic stuff guys, we're not talking about a few cinematic trailers when it comes to CIG, we're in year 7 of crowdfunding off the back of explicit gameplay claims.

Yaffle

Volunteer Moderator
Not even 50 posts in and we're off topic.

This is a thread about Star Citizen. The rest of the forum (except the dinosaur bits) is about Elite Dangerous. Please stay on topic.

Top Bottom