The Thomaski Expedition - Memorial Beacon and Beagle Point

ogv32UI.jpg

In June this year we lost a great friend, wonderfully helpful human being and fellow explorer, CMDR Thomaski (Bob). Bob was a committed explorer and thrived on the beautiful images and scenes to be found across the Elite universe which he would regularly post on the Elite FB pages. He was well known for his stunning photo's and images but also well known for his mishaps - generally involving a planet surface or mountain range while he chased the ever elusive 'perfect shot'. He was part of the Galactic Nebula Expedition in September 3302 (Here are some of his images from that https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...a-Expedition?p=4509892&viewfull=1#post4509892) but his one dream goal was always to reach Beagle Point.

Myself and Cmdr Narzgul had journeyed with him towards BP previously, sadly he came up against his old nemesis - a mountain range and his ship was lost, still he tried several more times and between his auto-pilot crashing when summoning his ship back to a surface or incidents while trying to get that perfect image something always seem to set him back . One of his redeeming features was - he never gave up! Constantly he strived forward and when he was knocked back he set back out again.

After about 3 attempts he finally completed his dream journey - He reached Beagle Point on 3rd June 3303 (2017) with only 9% hull and was on his way back to Colonia when we received the dreadful news from his family that he had passed away.

We couldn't let a great friend and fellow CMDR pass without marking one of his greatest, in game, achievements so CMDR Harry Palmer (wing commander) & Cmdr Narzgul organised an impromptu expedition - a fleet of ships to reach Beagle Point in memory of CMDR Thomaski. FD have also been involved, the team have been brilliant and with the release of 2.4 they also placed a beacon specifically for CMDR Thomaski to remember his name.

The fleet is currently at, or around CMDR Thomaski's memorial system (Slaiyooe OX-L d7-0) paying our respects until continuing on our journey to BP. None of us I am glad to say has a 9% hull however some are lower than 50% and CMDR Narzgul did have to speed back 50k lys in about a week after emulating Bob's 'style' a little too closely by taking the 'fast route' back to the bubble! Others joined later and did a Stirling job of catching up.
Already we have seen two more CMDRs coming out to view the memorial beacon.

Z780B3e.jpg

To all the CMDR's on the expedition (some listed below but there are more!) I salute you all o7, many didn't know Bob until setting off on this trip which makes the journey with you all even more remarkable. To the CMDRs at Frontier, I salute you for helping make this possible and lastly to CMDR Thomaski - I salute you RIP o7

(please add yourself if I have missed off your cmdr names!)
Cmdr Narzgul
cmdr Harry Palmer
Cmdr RopeInspector
Cmdr Tomren
Cmdr Ripley Matthews
Cmdr Burgerman
Cmdr Lialla
Cmdr Flinx100 (catching up from sAGa)
Cmdr SovietOnion
Cmdr Lapsang Twobob
Cmdr Anfield Marauder
Cmdr Get U Sum

(All CMDRs recognised in the Featured CMDR's section here - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/383375-The-Thomaski-Expedition?p=6009783#post6009783)

Below are some shots from our journey together.

iJapE0b.jpg

2GHP5oe.jpg

Zzykbnn.jpg

TgP886v.jpg

Hopefully plenty more to come as we pass through the Abyss and over to Beagle Point.

Thank you for reading CMDRs - o7
CMDR Lapsang Twobob

Last edited:
I echo Aura's sentiments.

This community really is the best. It may only be a video game in a virtual world that we all share, but the friendships that are forged there are real, and your journey and dedication to honour your fallen friend is testament to that.

I hope you don't mind, but I've added a new POI to the community mapping project (its unofficial of course, not sanctioned by FD), but its a project by the community and for the community and the part Bob and yourself have played are part of the background stories, POI history, and friendships that the project strives to document and archive - for as long as there's an Elite Dangerous. The Galactic Mapping Project always tries to keep its write-ups "in-character" where possible, but we realise sometimes its not always appropriate to - so if there's anything you'd like me to change, add/remove, just let me know.

Thomaski's Memorial. Its under the 'Other POI' category on the EDSM Galactic Map.

cSe4bwe.jpg

Fly safe commanders o7.

Last edited:
o7 CMDRS :)

I must have passed by the beacon only a few days ago on my way to Beagle point. I will be sure to drop by an pay my respects to a fellow traveller on my way back in a couple of days.

I echo Aura's sentiments.

This community really is the best. It may only be a video game in a virtual world that we all share, but the friendships that are forged there are real, and your journey and dedication to honour your fallen friend is testament to that.

I hope you don't mind, but I've added a new POI to the community mapping project (its unofficial of course, not sanctioned by FD), but its a project by the community and for the community and the part Bob and yourself have played are part of the background stories, POI history, and friendships that the project strives to document and archive - for as long as there's an Elite Dangerous. The Galactic Mapping Project always tries to keep its write-ups "in-character" where possible, but we realise sometimes its not always appropriate to - so if there's anything you'd like me to change, add/remove, just let me know.

Thomaski's Memorial. Its under the 'Other POI' category on the EDSM Galactic Map.

https://i.imgur.com/cSe4bwe.jpg

Fly safe commanders o7.

Thank you very much Erimus, I was looking for the POI page the other day but you saved me a job. I will let the other CMDR's know I am sure they will be thrilled :)

Thanks again, it is very much appreciated!
o7

o7 CMDRS :)

I must have passed by the beacon only a few days ago on my way to Beagle point. I will be sure to drop by an pay my respects to a fellow traveller on my way back in a couple of days.

They Only created the beacon with the release of 2.4, I hope you do get a chance to visit and if you are able to do it would be great to see a picture, we may cross each others paths as we're back underway on Tuesday across to Beagle Point.

In June this year we lost a great friend, wonderfully helpful human being and fellow explorer, CMDR Thomaski (Bob). Bob was a committed explorer and thrived on the beautiful images and scenes to be found across the Elite universe which he would regularly post on the Elite FB pages. He was well known for his stunning photo's and images but also well known for his mishaps - generally involving a planet surface or mountain range while he chased the ever elusive 'perfect shot'. He was part of the Galactic Nebula Expedition in September 3302 (Here are some of his images from that https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...a-Expedition?p=4509892&viewfull=1#post4509892) but his one dream goal was always to reach Beagle Point.

Myself and Cmdr Narzgul had journeyed with him towards BP previously, sadly he came up against his old nemesis - a mountain range and his ship was lost, still he tried several more times and between his auto-pilot crashing when summoning his ship back to a surface or incidents while trying to get that perfect image something always seem to set him back . One of his redeeming features was - he never gave up! Constantly he strived forward and when he was knocked back he set back out again.

After about 3 attempts he finally completed his dream journey - He reached Beagle Point on 3rd June 3303 (2017) with only 9% hull and was on his way back to Colonia when we received the dreadful news from his family that he had passed away.

We couldn't let a great friend and fellow CMDR pass without marking one of his greatest, in game, achievements so CMDR Harry Palmer (wing commander) & Cmdr Narzgul organised an impromptu expedition - a fleet of ships to reach Beagle Point in memory of CMDR Thomaski. FD have also been involved, the team have been brilliant and with the release of 2.4 they also placed a beacon specifically for CMDR Thomaski to remember his name.

The fleet is currently at, or around CMDR Thomaski's memorial system (Slaiyooe OX-L d7-0) paying our respects until continuing on our journey to BP. None of us I am glad to say has a 9% hull however some are lower than 50% and CMDR Narzgul did have to speed back 50k lys in about a week after emulating Bob's 'style' a little too closely by taking the 'fast route' back to the bubble! Others joined later and did a Stirling job of catching up.
Already we have seen two more CMDRs coming out to view the memorial beacon.

https://i.imgur.com/Z780B3e.jpg?2

To all the CMDR's on the expedition (some listed below but there are more!) I salute you all o7, many didn't know Bob until setting off on this trip which makes the journey with you all even more remarkable. To the CMDRs at Frontier, I salute you for helping make this possible and lastly to CMDR Thomaski - I salute you RIP o7

(please add yourself if I have missed off your cmdr names!)
Cmdr Narzgul
cmdr Harry Palmer
Cmdr RopeInspector
Cmdr Tomren
Cmdr Ripley Matthews
Cmdr Burgerman
Cmdr Lialla
Cmdr Flinx100 (catching up from sAGa)
Cmdr SovietOnion
Cmdr Lapsang Twobob
Cmdr Anfield Marauder

Below are some shots from our journey together.

Hopefully plenty more to come as we pass through the Abyss and over to Beagle Point.

Thank you for reading CMDRs - o7
CMDR Lapsang Twobob
Just popped my name on the list Bud...

I'm about 2 kly north of Slaiyooe OX-L d7-0 and expect to be there either tonight (20:00 hrs GCT) or tomorrow.

If anyone is in that vicinity I'll be in Open or Fleetcomm.

As we're still waiting for a couple more cmdr's to make it out to the beacon we don't yet have everyone but 6 of us managed to get a group photo taken in readiness for the rest coming.

(image taken by cmdr Nargul)

eMHxNH3.jpg

So you are still there?

If you want to hook up add me in-game: CMDR Tycho Yamada

Yes we are, will add you when im online, we'll be moving off after to ight probably but if you are around this evening please do say hello - prob in open. Are you on the colonia discord chanel too?

Final meet up with the rest of the crew before heading on our way to BP.

WcZS8v4.jpg

And It was great to meet up with CMDR Tycho Yamada (GunnerBill) before I left to get to R33 who is on his way back from BP - Safe travels cmdr than you for visiting the beacon, Nice to see a Dolphin this far out and with better condition paintwork than my Orca!

RO9XJXq.jpg

Last edited:
It was awesome to see another CMDR after so long in the black!

The only reason I can see for the relative conditions of our paint was that those cheapskates at SK used the same amount of paint on my Dolphin as they did on your Orca!

I'll add some pic's tomorrow.

Greetings and o7's. Fly safe CMDR's :D

Last edited:
This is a beautiful tribute, and a testament to the quality of the community here in ED. Thank you to Frontier too, for putting up the Beacon.

Rest In Peace Commander
o7

Top Bottom