Distant Worlds II Event The Trans-Galactic Metallicity Survey

Open up EDDiscovery and click on the Add-ons menu. Select "manage add-ons". Scroll down the list and you'll see the "TGMS Bookmarks" plugin:

cuKJ5pq.png

Install it, and then when you hit your scroll lock key, it will log the last system you jumped to after you opened EDDiscovery to the bookmarks tab:

R6rlMZq.png

With this, every time you scan a system for this survey, you can quickly make a bookmark just by hitting scroll lock. Then, when you're ready to send me a list of systems, you can just copy and paste them directly from the bookmarks screen.

Thanks! Funny... had to use the scroll bar as using the scroll wheel wouldn't go down the list far enough to see your add-on.

Last time I used EDDiscovery it would often crash and I'm pretty sure it slowed down my frame rate. Since then I have been using the ED Market Connector to get info to EDSM and Inara with no problems.

I would like to get into the metallicity project and will try installing it again but if it hasn't been improved....

Last time I used EDDiscovery it would often crash and I'm pretty sure it slowed down my frame rate.

It can be set up to use a lot of memory which could impact other processes, but it doesn't have to be (and the next release will have additional options to reduce the memory footprint further if you're tight on resources).

Often crashing shouldn't be happening - anything that does creep in is generally fixed pretty quickly if it's reported to us.

Just to clarify, if you use EDdisco to automatically catalog your entries, you must check all F, G, K stars for any gas giants. If, for example, you need to buckeyball it you will jump into and out of systems while logging the star - but will miss any potential gas giants (implying the system does not have any but may actually have some).

Open up EDDiscovery and click on the Add-ons menu. Select "manage add-ons". Scroll down the list and you'll see the "TGMS Bookmarks" plugin:

Thanks. I'll be participating in this for sure. An additional layer of gameplay while jumping between waypoints is certainly welcome.

Last time I used EDDiscovery it would often crash and I'm pretty sure it slowed down my frame rate. Since then I have been using the ED Market Connector to get info to EDSM and Inara with no problems.

I would like to get into the metallicity project and will try installing it again but if it hasn't been improved....

EDDiscovery isn't required for this. The key point is that you need a way to list the systems that you have scanned to the standards that the TGMS requires, and the bookmark plugin for EDDiscovery makes that convenient. You can also keep a list manually, use a spreadsheet, or use any number of applications that can read your current system from the journal file.

It's significant to note that the first set of test data, for Eol Prou, didn't use anything special for keeping track of scans. Taen simply kept a list of scanned systems, and was kind enough to send it to me as a simple list.

Just to clarify, if you use EDdisco to automatically catalog your entries, you must check all F, G, K stars for any gas giants. If, for example, you need to buckeyball it you will jump into and out of systems while logging the star - but will miss any potential gas giants (implying the system does not have any but may actually have some).

Nope! The EDDiscovery plugin lets you create a bookmark manually by hitting the 'scroll lock' key. So if you do scan the nearest gas giant, then you'll hit 'scroll lock' to make a bookmark. If you're buckyballing, you won't. That way the list will only contain systems that you've scanned out.

I presume we can scan as many planets in the system that we want as long as we have the closest gas giant.

Loaded up EDDisc. Waited for it to get all the systems. Scanned a system. Hit SCRLK...crashed.

Second post here. Signed up for DW2 on a whim after earning about 10 mil on a quick 500 ly "first taste" of exploring. One small journey in a Cargo Hauler got me a stripped down, but fully capable DBX

Only logical step after that is to join a multi-month thousands of lightyears science expeidtion as a second step, right?

Just wanted to let any console players know, incase they missed it, EDSM.net now works for console players according to @stormyuk and confirmed by me (at least for Xbox). So this should make participation in these types of projects during DW2 much easier for us.

I plan to participate and send F/G/K(+GG orbital period) data as requested... and thanks for the EDDiscovey plugin explanation!

How do you want to receive the reports? As a forum private message, or some other way?

How do we activate the bookmark plugin? Also will this be coordinated in any way or do we just scan any systems we jump into even if it's already been submited?

Hi I'm trying to use the TGMS_Bookmarks plugin, but when I hit ScrollLock, I get the following error message and no bookmark is created:

Error: AddStar cannot find star Lupus Dark Region B Sector AF-A d56 in database
At Step 2 in TGMS_Bookmarks::BookmarkSystem:21: Bookmarks

Any ideas?

If anyone has worked out a way to carry out this research in VR without EDD, please share. I'd love to help out, but EDD keeps freezing up on me. Sticking with EDMC for now and continuing to upload all data to EDSM.

Top Bottom