Distant Worlds II Event The Trans-Galactic Metallicity Survey

Hello everyone. In the FleetComm Discord, we've automated the process of using TGMS Bookmarks a little bit more, and Satsuma asked me to make a post here explaining it.

Some of us are using a program called VoiceAttack, which enables what are basically voice-activated macros. The free version of the software is, of course, somewhat limited compared to the paid version, but it will do just fine for our purposes here. Once you have it installed and set up, you'll need to click the icon at the top of the window that looks like a square with a pencil in it to begin editing commands.
yIBRCcw.png

You should then see a list of preconfigured commands. Delete them or keep them, it really doesn't matter as long as you can add another command. In the new command window, you need to set the trigger (this can be whatever you want), and set the rest of it up along the lines of this:
KGSRVKa.png

You'll need to have both EDD and Elite running while you're setting up the command. The display window command is found under Other > Windows > Perform a window function. Sometimes there may be a problem switching back to the Elite window, but you just have to tab back in, and it works most of the time.

Stay safe CMDRs, and do some science!

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming one of your scientists just hilariously face-planted and subsequently died on some remote planet somewhere, would data collected thus far still be of use?

Ahoi!

For EDDiscovery users:
I've created a sql script, that tries to pull out all systems from the EDDiscovery Database. It prints all System names that have a 100% ('All Found') FSS rate and have a star of type K, F or G and contain at least one gas planet.

See https://github.com/srmo/eddiscovery-metallicity-scan/

Feedback welcome!

TODO: make sure that only systems not already exported are shown

I haven't started collecting this yet, as I need to decide on a workflow. I set up the plugin, and even a hotkey on my StreamDeck to hit scroll-lock for me, but I never think to use it (so far). I'm in VR, so these things are tricky. ;) I'm also not sure where the plugin stores the bookmarks.

What formats are acceptable for submissions? Just a straight list of system names?

What I might do is just get into the habit of always scanning gas giants. Then I can datamine the systems I travel through, maybe with an automated script, since I already pull down the EDSM data and my travel history.

What I might do is just get into the habit of always scanning gas giants. Then I can datamine the systems I travel through, maybe with an automated script, since I already pull down the EDSM data and my travel history.

I'm primarily using VR and this has been my methodology. Also only using FGK stars when plotting, if possible. I'm actively hunting those green giants for the science team anyway (none so far!), so I'm not actively having to remind myself to look out for gas giants all the time.

I'm using Xbox and carrying out Stellar Density scan. Would it be useful to include metalicity data with rho data on my spreadsheet. I normally do an FSS scan anyway so it's only a bit more effort to note down gas giants info. Anticipating the eventuality of a system with more than one target star do we just record for the main sequence star?

I unfortunately don't have a really good way of incorporating manual data into the TGMS right now.

Someone in a long range ship did a density scan way out into the thick disk - IIRC they went up to about Z + 2000 - and found some interesting changes in density up there. If you want more to do and your ship has long legs, you might extend your density columns up some more.

Hi Satsuma, I am an Xbox console player and have been collecting some data for you. FYI, I have been using EDSM since it started allowing Xbox updates and so there should be system info in there for you to retrieve, but since I'm currently looking back through previously-visited systems outside the bubble then some of the systems I am recording may not be there, plus I see that EDSM occasionally misses systems anyway.

So, I have read through this thread and will eventually PM you a CSV format list as you described above. However, I have found some systems where it is not clear to me how you'd like these to be reported. Could you clarify?

Paired Planets

I notice that the orbital period for a planet which is paired with another planet is the period for the pairing, not for the planet around it's star. In those cases, I've been recording the distance from the primary star (in ls) as an alternative measure. Ngalia is an example system; the closest gas giant is 9, but being paired with 10 the orbital period, etc, is not the one you require. In that case, I currently plan to submit the info as:

Ngalia, K, 0.5234, Paired, 1153.54

so that you can tell the difference between these systems and the ones which are not paired. Does this work for you?

Class Y Dwarfs

The description of Class Y Dwarfs says that they are "effectively very large gas giant planets with some stellar properties". Some Class Y dwarfs are shown as planets on the system map, that is, they are connected by a horizontal line to its main star, and have a number designation. Do you want these counted as gas giants?

I have assumed that even if your answer to the above is yes, Class Y Dwarfs that are listed as stars, that is, connected by a vertical line to another star, are still excluded.

Systems with Multiple Stars

You have asked for the nearest gas giant to a primary star of types F, G and K. This allows for the case where the nearest gas giant is actually orbiting a non-primary star. Do you want those systems reported as have a gas giant, or are you only interested in where the gas giant is orbiting the primary star.

If you want these reported, does the non-primary star it is orbiting need to also be F, G or K, or can it be any type? Also, since the orbital period shown will be that to go around the non-primary star (assuming it's not also a paired planet!), is that what you'd want?

I think that's it for now.
Thanks!

Hi Satsuma, I am an Xbox console player and have been collecting some data for you. FYI, I have been using EDSM since it started allowing Xbox updates and so there should be system info in there for you to retrieve, but since I'm currently looking back through previously-visited systems outside the bubble then some of the systems I am recording may not be there, plus I see that EDSM occasionally misses systems anyway.

So, I have read through this thread and will eventually PM you a CSV format list as you described above. However, I have found some systems where it is not clear to me how you'd like these to be reported. Could you clarify?

Paired Planets

I notice that the orbital period for a planet which is paired with another planet is the period for the pairing, not for the planet around it's star. In those cases, I've been recording the distance from the primary star (in ls) as an alternative measure. Ngalia is an example system; the closest gas giant is 9, but being paired with 10 the orbital period, etc, is not the one you require. In that case, I currently plan to submit the info as:

Ngalia, K, 0.5234, Paired, 1153.54

so that you can tell the difference between these systems and the ones which are not paired. Does this work for you?

Class Y Dwarfs

The description of Class Y Dwarfs says that they are "effectively very large gas giant planets with some stellar properties". Some Class Y dwarfs are shown as planets on the system map, that is, they are connected by a horizontal line to its main star, and have a number designation. Do you want these counted as gas giants?

I have assumed that even if your answer to the above is yes, Class Y Dwarfs that are listed as stars, that is, connected by a vertical line to another star, are still excluded.

Systems with Multiple Stars

You have asked for the nearest gas giant to a primary star of types F, G and K. This allows for the case where the nearest gas giant is actually orbiting a non-primary star. Do you want those systems reported as have a gas giant, or are you only interested in where the gas giant is orbiting the primary star.

If you want these reported, does the non-primary star it is orbiting need to also be F, G or K, or can it be any type? Also, since the orbital period shown will be that to go around the non-primary star (assuming it's not also a paired planet!), is that what you'd want?

I think that's it for now.
Thanks!

Hi! If you're on a console, unfortunately I'm not going to be able to use your data. EDSM collects console players flight log, but not scan data.

If you're interested in collecting data for the science department, check out the stellar density program in the main science department thread. It uses only in-game means of collecting data - the left hand nav panel, and the galaxy map for plotting a course - so it's well suited for console commanders.

Hi! If you're on a console, unfortunately I'm not going to be able to use your data. EDSM collects console players flight log, but not scan data.

Oh, sorry to hear that. I got the impression from your earlier reply to Mojo that the data could be manually recorded.

What data do you actually use? Star class and gas giant orbital period I see, I presume also galactic coordinates; anything else? If it's not much I could look at providing what you need.

For the stellar density scans, how far apart in the galactic plane should these scan columns ideally be?

I was hoping to figure out a way to bring in manual data, but I wasn't able to come up with a good method in time. It's not terribly difficult to collect, but I don't have a good way to integrate it with the EDSM data during analysis.

For the density scans, basically just however often you want to run them. I wouldn't do more than one every procgen boxel (the areas of space with names like "Eol Prou xxxxxx").

Copy the system name column to a text file, name it after yourself, and send it to me.

If you're in the FleetComm discord, you can find me in the science department channel and DM me directly. Alternately, you can PM me on the forums, though I'm less active here than in Discord.

Once every 2-4 weeks is plenty. I'm going to be publishing ongoing results in the newsletter probably monthly.

Top Bottom