Discussion The Visited Stars cache

I have found the flag that enables this filter to apply to route-finding, and I have turned it on (for beta6) - it may not be useful for long-range travel, but is useful for explorers: eg if you want to "go to the other side of this nebula via stars I haven't yet visited" - If it fails to find a route using the filter, the route is left unchanged

Ah great! Thanks! Other people had indicated that you couldn't filter by visited systems. It would filter on the map, but you couldn't actually use it for routes.

It's the same as asking if I plot the route using only M-class stars in my anaconda, but then switch to a sidewinder. If you don't have the jump range, the route planner fails. Otherwise, no offense, but I have no idea what you are looking for as an answer.:)
No, I'm still struggling? When would you only want to travel via "Visited Stars"? Other than to retread the steps you (or someone else who's data you've imported) have trod before?

And almost certainly your jump ranges will differ, and possibly be significantly shorter? I'm struggling to see what forcing the route plotter to only use "visited" systems achieves? Am I being dim?

Last edited:
I have found the flag that enables this filter to apply to route-finding, and I have turned it on (for beta6) - it may not be useful for long-range travel, but is useful for explorers: eg if you want to "go to the other side of this nebula via stars I haven't yet visited" - If it fails to find a route using the filter, the route is left unchanged

Thats going to be a great help, thank you. The explorers of the Colonia Nebula Project salute you. o7

No, I'm still struggling? When would you only want to travel via "Visited Stars"? Other than to retread the steps you (or someone else who's data you've imported) have trod before?

And almost certainly your jump ranges will differ, and possibly be significantly shorter? I'm struggling to see what forcing the route plotter to only use "visited" systems achieves? Am I being dim?

Last attempt. :D

How you use the filters is probably a personal thing. I don't know if I would ever use only the visited stars as a filter, however I do want it available when planning just like the other star classes (and Howard confirmed it will be in Beta 6).

If I did want to retrace a route I or someone else flew, I would import the stars and use the visited stars filter to plan the route. If the route planner fails to find a route because I don't have the jump range, then I just add another star type to the filter until it does (e.g. scoopable stars). It could be the other way around, I have more jump range so it's sub-optimal, so I would need to fiddle the filter with other star types as well to get a better route, perhaps, or change some of the stars on the route, clear cache, and re-import.

Is this clearer? If not I give up. :)

Last edited:
Request: visited or unvisted stars as an additional filter to other filters. I.e plot a route through all the B class stars I haven't yet visited. Now THAT would make it truly useful.

Beta 2.2 introduced a new GalaxyMap filter, that indicates which stars you have visited: this is based on a cache file stored locally, but does not include historical data. The file is stored in the Local Appdata path, typically: c:\<username>\Appdata\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\<userid>\VisitedStarsCache.dat

I have been asked for information on the format of this file - but the file stores internal starsystem ID numbers which are not particularly suitable for access by third-party tools. We have instead added a mechanism to allow data to be imported into this cache.

If you write a file named ImportStars.txt into the same folder, with one star system name per line, then start the game, it will lookup the names and merge them into the cache. (If you have many thousands of star names in the file, it may take a few minutes to process)

Once it is finished, it will rename the file so it doesn't re-import them next time. It will report the total number of stars imported, the number of duplicates, and the number that failed lookup, via the message input window. This feature should be available in the next Beta release.

Where are my first dicovereds, and visited systems, before I found out about Verbose Logging? :(

You have all the transaction data. Share.

Where are my first dicovereds, and visited systems, before I found out about Verbose Logging? :(

You have all the transaction data. Share.

Michael replied yesterday saying that although they won't be offering us a method of downloading a list of visited systems (from FD) in 2.2, they are at least aware of the request and I assume considering it.

I agree, a filter & download on "Discovered" would be nice :)

Last edited:
There won't be a mechanism for [downloading pre 2.2 visited systems] as part of the 2.2 release. We appreciate the desire for it, so it will be looked at in the future, but I have no time scale for that at the moment.

Thanks!

Michael

Just to say that I'm another one that'd be very pleased to see this added. I've got net logs going back to Dec 2015, but I'll be missing the first year or so since ED went live. I suspect that's when I wandered the most, or at least that's the wandering I'm less likely to remember!

But even the ability to import systems is great, and making this kind of facility available is marking ED out for me in terms of support for the players. As for hcalkey's efforts on the journal, that's another level of greatness on top!

Just to say that I'm another one that'd be very pleased to see this added. I've got net logs going back to Dec 2015, but I'll be missing the first year or so since ED went live. I suspect that's when I wandered the most, or at least that's the wandering I'm less likely to remember!

But even the ability to import systems is great, and making this kind of facility available is marking ED out for me in terms of support for the players. As for hcalkey's efforts on the journal, that's another level of greatness on top!

I suspect we'll hear a lot more of this sort of comment in a few weeks when 2.2 hits the masses. Along with, "Can I filter on Discovered"? :)

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
I'm surprised that unless I've missed it here that no commander has created a utility to process the netlogs on a PC and create an ImportStars.txt file. I DID read that a few well known "commander log" kind of programs (and also EDSM) have created an export function which creates the file. Ah well a bit of incentive to start using those excellent - and as a bonus get a ImportStars.txt - is ofc a good thing ;-)

Who needs a program if you have a bash?

Code:
$ cd "/c/Program Files (x86)/Frontier/EDLaunch/Products"
$ grep -E "System:[1234567890]+\(" */Logs/netLog.* | cut -d"(" -f2 | cut -d")" -f1 | sort -u > /tmp/sys.old
$ grep -E 'System:"' */Logs/netLog.* | cut -d'"' -f2 | sort -u > /tmp/sys.new
$ sort -u /tmp/sys.old /tmp/sys.new > /tmp/ImportStars.txt

$ cd "$LOCALAPPDATA/Frontier Developments/Elite Dangerous/"
$ find . -name "VisitedStarsCache.dat"
./110421/VisitedStarsCache.dat
$ cp /tmp/ImportStars.txt 110421

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
I'm a Unix/Linux guy so this put a smile on my face. Good one. Haven't run the shell script but I'm sure its working like a charm ;-)

Who needs a program if you have a bash?

Code:
$ cd "/c/Program Files (x86)/Frontier/EDLaunch/Products"
$ grep -E "System:[1234567890]+\(" */Logs/netLog.* | cut -d"(" -f2 | cut -d")" -f1 | sort -u > /tmp/sys.old
$ grep -E 'System:"' */Logs/netLog.* | cut -d'"' -f2 | sort -u > /tmp/sys.new
$ sort -u /tmp/sys.old /tmp/sys.new > /tmp/ImportStars.txt

$ cd "$LOCALAPPDATA/Frontier Developments/Elite Dangerous/"
$ find . -name "VisitedStarsCache.dat"
./110421/VisitedStarsCache.dat
$ cp /tmp/ImportStars.txt 110421

Excuse my ignorance, but what will that result in? ie: What would end up being in the import file? Systems you've visited since...?

Excuse my ignorance, but what will that result in? ie: What would end up being in the import file? Systems you've visited since...?
Unique systems you've visited that have ever appeared in your netlogs. If you always turned netlogs on (and remembered to do after each and every patch), then this would be every system you've visited. If you never manually turned them on, then it'll be everything since netlogs were enabled by default.

Unique systems you've visited that have ever appeared in your netlogs. If you always turned netlogs on (and remembered to do after each and every patch), then this would be every system you've visited. If you never manually turned them on, then it'll be everything since netlogs were enabled by default.

Ahh, so for most users these will be dreadfully incomplete... :(

It will also include every system you visited when playing in a beta-build.

It's more or less just a proof of concept that you don't need a program if you have a good shell for just making a simle text file. Anyone with a little bit of programming skills can adapt to what (s)he wants.

*Files an "Access to Information Act" suit via his Galactic Lawyers for all exploration data to immediately be made available*

Finds that the RNG at Engineers is now always negative.

*Withdraws suit*

I would like to synchronise my EDSM entries with what is on my official Elite Stats because there is a large difference. I guess i would be unable to do so unless i get all the log files from Elite themselves?

Have no idea how to write a text file to import the data. Apologies for my ignorance.

OK i wrote the file. Clever me! Importing as i write.

Last edited:
Top Bottom