Discussion The Visited Stars cache

Link to discussion regarding request made to frontier since 2015 with no actual answers from them ever talked about or looked into only the usual vague "we will look at this in the future, the same answer made in 2015.

I can understand FD (technically) why they made the decision and save some individual data on the local computer.
What I don't understand, however, is that there is no documentation and no convenience function to be able to back up this data regularly.
Sorry, that's just sloppy and disappointing.

I see what you mean now, Davanix, and it would be nice if this data was stored that way, sure. Regardless, this is about the actual functioning of the feature that exists. It's still broken, and my open issue has not change status.

Would be great if this could be fixed.
Failing that, if anyone knows how this guy did the "manual" rebuild, that would be a workaround (his website is no longer working).

Finally a response at least:
Wow. It's great that FD finally responded, but OMFG it took 18 months for them to mention that they had intentionally broken a recovery mechanism for people who had lost their ED installations...
I'm stunned. I know I shouldn't be, but this is astonishingly lame.

Mmm... this issue is even more acute now since mass transfers from console to PC are to be expected

I'd really love to have the visited star cache transferred from XB to PC (if i ever decide to move my XB account over)
However, it seems a bit far fetched to hope the the cache transfer 😒

Mmm... this issue is even more acute now since mass transfers from console to PC are to be expected

I'd really love to have the visited star cache transferred from XB to PC (if i ever decide to move my XB account over)
However, it seems a bit far fetched to hope the the cache transfer 😒
Possibly a tool can be created, if not already available, that is able to generate the file or at least most of the entries in it. The special systems would need a separate lookup table which might also already exist but the run of the mill systems do I think already have a conversion to the 64-bit ID. (Typing on phone so can't easily remind myself of what was discussed in previous posts above.)

Top Bottom