General / Off-Topic The Witcher, Netflix version!

So it's out, I was worried, I'm now more worried, no I'm terrified! everything is wrong here, or am i just over sensitive? do I need my safe space, my cuddling bear....

I don't think you're sensitive. Maybe you just have a certain mental image of how the world of the Witcher and its characters should look like, how they should talk and what should be happening on the screen and this thing fails to deliver any and all of them?
I have the same problem. Alongside everybody who read the books and/or played the game.

I'd be interested if it'd been made say 10 to 20 years ago. A Witcher movie today when everything is wearing cultural blackface to mollify the offence culture? No thanks, not even worth a look.

My cynical/wet blanket 2 cents: casting Henry Cavill as Geralt of Rivia is arguably a worse decision than the new James Bond. He looks ridiculous, the rest of the trailer looked very bland in a "made for syndicated television" kinda way and paled in comparison to any given trailer that's ever come out for the original Witcher game.

My cynical/wet blanket 2 cents: casting Henry Cavill as Geralt of Rivia is arguably a worse decision than the new James Bond. He looks ridiculous, the rest of the trailer looked very bland in a "made for syndicated television" kinda way and paled in comparison to any given trailer that's ever come out for the original Witcher game.
I would even be fine with Cavill, to be honest. On the latest screenshots he looks fine and it will depend on the acting (and screenwrite).
What I can't get over is what they did to my waifu Triss, though.

As a person who was born in and lived first 20 years of my life in a Slavic country - this doesn't look or sound right at all. Zero Slavic atmosphere, nothing here reminds me of folklore I grew up with. Music also is just your typical vapid "epic" trailer banger. I'll be honest - it looks better than I thought, but it's still terrible.

As a person who was born in and lived first 20 years of my life in a Slavic country - this doesn't look or sound right at all. Zero Slavic atmosphere, nothing here reminds me of folklore I grew up with. Music also is just your typical vapid "epic" trailer banger. I'll be honest - it looks better than I thought, but it's still terrible.
The music was the first thing that made me suspicious, then i was like oh no this do not carry a good vibe at all, but let's see...

I have to agree. It very much looks like they are trying to make new GoT out of it and if that's the case, it will suck noodles.

I don't speak Polish or any Slavic languages, but I played the Witcher games with the Polish voices and could detect the Eastern European atmosphere in the books...not so much with this trailer. Cavil would not have been my first choice for a lead either.

Still, I'm willing to give it a chance. I'm less concerned with whether it's a good Witcher than if it's a passable sword and sorcery adventure.

I'll check out a few episodes but I think I'd be better off replaying the game.

Btw: I think they hit the mark with Ciri but the rest of the cast is TBD. If the person at :45 is supposed to be Triss....then yeah...that's a no so far.

Last edited:
If that's Triss then it's a hard no from me. The more I look at the trailer the more it looks like garbage.

Yep. Triss. A quirky redhead with freckles. (books describe her as auburn, I think, and looking unnaturally pale and young)
They really nailed this one, didn't they?

Top Bottom