General / Off-Topic The Witcher, Netflix version!

So yeh im 6 episodes in.... So far im kinda Meh.
The story telling is sloppy, alot of the plot which spans the episodes jumps around and is paper thin, things happen and you are just supposed to guess and take it for granted.
Im not emotionally invested in the characters at all, except for maybe Yennefer in the early episodes when she was an underdog but the later episodes her transformation in character is not convincing. (she is stunning though....😍💓) Geralt is just a cut and paste from the games. The bard character..... why?

Im going to say it, but the 'Strong women' motif in this series is breaking my investment and its over the top. The main Queen for example... talks like a man, walks like a man, drinks, swears and murders like a man in battle (full plate armour swings a sword)... come back from battle covered in blood, insults a bunch of men drinks a pint. Then gets changed into her pretty dress and complains about the discomfort of the corset which apparently men make her wear.... dumb.

Last edited:
So yeh im 6 episodes in.... So far im kinda Meh.
The story telling is sloppy, alot of the plot which spans the episodes jumps around and is paper thin, things happen and you are just supposed to guess and take it for granted.
Im not emotionally invested in the characters at all, except for maybe Yennefer in the early episodes when she was an underdog but the later episodes her transformation in character is not convincing. (she is stunning thought....😍💓) Geralt is just a cut and paste from the games. The bard character..... why?

Im going to say it, but the 'Strong women' motif in this series is breaking my investment and its over the top. The main Queen for example... talks like a man, walks like a man, drinks, swears and murders like a man in battle (full plate armour swings a sword)... come back from battle covered in blood, insults a bunch of men drinks a pint. Then gets changed into her pretty dress and complains about the discomfort of the corset which apparently men make her wear.... dumb.
Yeah, I caught a little of that in the first episode; co-ed armies with women in plate mail welding longswords and slugging it out with the fella's. What else would you expect with a feminist helming the project?

It's a Netflix show, so sjw pandering is to be expected at all times. I'm actually pleasantly surprised it's been kept to a tolerable minimum (for netflix standards) in The Witcher.

Yeah, I caught a little of that in the first episode; co-ed armies with women in plate mail welding longswords and slugging it out with the fella's. What else would you expect with a feminist helming the project?

This kind of thing always breaks my suspension of disbelief. There is a massive list of wonderful strong women in cinema, but when strong women means be a man and do what men do despite reality.... im out.

I think it actually damages the feminst movement because people see it for what it is and its patronising. The roles of women in TV and Cinema seem to be heading into a cooky cutter strong women tick box role rather than a deep well thought out an relatable individual.

In order for a women to be a better women she needs to be a man???

It's a Netflix show, so sjw pandering is to be expected at all times. I'm actually pleasantly surprised it's been kept to a tolerable minimum (for netflix standards) in The Witcher.

I dunno... my break pads on social programming in entertainment are starting to wear out. My water mark for tolerating this schlock is reaching burning point.

i want real, inteligent, relatable characters.

Not this tick box garbage.

This kind of thing always breaks my suspension of disbelief. There is a massive list of wonderful strong women in cinema, but when strong women means be a man and do what men do despite reality.... im out.

I think it actually damages the feminst movement because people see it for what it is and its patronising. The roles of women in TV and Cinema seem to be heading into a cooky cutter strong women tick box role rather than a deep well thought out an relatable individual.

Agreed. These people should watch a few seasons of "Outlander" (one of my all-time favorite tv shows btw) to get a glimpse of what's a truly strong woman protagonist, that is still very much a woman despite being strong willed and strong minded.

Somewhere along the line the lib feminist movement conflated the word "equal" with "same."

You lot need to calm down about girls being allowed to do stuff on the telly nowadays.

If you wish to conflate my critique into a shallow insult then by all means, its typical to be honest.
shhhh.... 'dont speak up about Bad writing in entertainment now...., best be quiet and nod your head approvingly'

Without spoilers, I'm quite enjoying the show (about 4 episodes in), however, having never read the books or played the games, I'm somewhat confused by some of the references and events.
And the episodes seem to be jumping around time quite a bit, and I've only just realised.

I also grabbed all 3 The Witcher games on steam, for £9.80 (bargain!), and foolishly started in The Witcher 3, and have no clue what's going on. Lol

If you wish to conflate my critique into a shallow insult then by all means, its typical to be honest.
shhhh.... 'dont speak up about Bad writing in entertainment now...., best be quiet and nod your head approvingly'
In love with mediocrity I guess.

Last edited:

It’s not that women can do stuff, it’s like when they do it, it’s just unbelievable! Here is a fight scene where there is a good balance.

Of course that show was canceled.

I havent watched any of this yet. I thought I'd dip into the thread all the same. The general feeling seems to be settling into a middling neither here nor there sort of opinion.

I'd optimistically say that it could be first season jitters, further seasons will hopefully find the point of aim after a fashion and improve.

Just watched episode 2. Dear sweet baby Jesus what a steaming pile of garbage. There wasn't one thing, not a line, bit of acting, writing, camera angle, special effect...anything worth committing to film. Pure rubbish. After the first episode I thought that there might be some guilty pleasure aspect to it, but sadly that's not the case.

Just watched episode 2. Dear sweet baby Jesus what a steaming pile of garbage. There wasn't one thing, not a line, bit of acting, writing, camera angle, special effect...anything worth committing to film. Pure rubbish. After the first episode I thought that there might be some guilty pleasure aspect to it, but sadly that's not the case.
Oh boy that doesn’t sound good, I’m still holding back maybe it gets better?

Oh boy that doesn’t sound good, I’m still holding back maybe it gets better?
It falls way way waaaaaaaaay below my minimum threshold of acceptability for spending time watching a program. I honestly don't see how it can pull out of the nosedive. Simply put, the "creative" team behind the program are inept fools who personify everything that is wrong with the Hollywood mentality of movie making.

Top Bottom