The world-class zoo of Hamburg

One of the first things, which have been clear to me - when I first played the game - was that I will create one of my favorite zoos in the world.

It's located in Hamburg, Germany, and was opened in 1907 by an animal trader and show runner. It was the first zoo in the world with 'borderless' enclosures (e.g. enclosures without cages and common fences) and its founder even got a patent on this. He invented the panorama-like outlining of enclosures that visitors get the impression that for example polar bears, walruses and seals live close together while their actually are in different enclosures. One of his sons helped to originally design zoos in Rome, Paris, Chicago, Seattle and Detroit at the beginning of the 20th century.

Today, the zoo is still family owned and it does not only contain many animals but also different architectural and cultural highlights from different eras as well as a very large park, in which many different animals can freely roam. Sometimes I wonder if a majority of the building assets in the game were inspired by this zoo...you gonna see it!

The zoo nowadays consists of two parts: the zoo (or 'zoological garden') with approx. 1,900 animals and a tropical aquarium, which was opened in 2007, with more than 14,000 animals in a 8,000sqm large separate building. It attracts more than 1m visitors a year.

Some more information can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tierpark_Hagenbeck

Last edited:
The overview

At the entrance visitors can choose if they want to visit the zoo ('zoological garden') or the tropical aquarium or both.

overview_hagenbeck.JPG

Very cool project, I'll follow your progress! I remember visiting Hagenbeck as a child and being able to get really close to the elephants. Unfortunately, I don't remember any other details, but it is definitely a very beautiful zoo.

Love it. Would probably be a complete headache in franchise but I can see it work pretty well in sandbox. I had considered the same thing for a while since my little nephew likes visiting that zoo every couple of weeks in summer, but I decided to do a few more franchise-oriented projects instead. Good luck to you, and I hope to see a bit more of your progress. :)

Love it. Would probably be a complete headache in franchise but I can see it work pretty well in sandbox. I had considered the same thing for a while since my little nephew likes visiting that zoo every couple of weeks in summer, but I decided to do a few more franchise-oriented projects instead. Good luck to you, and I hope to see a bit more of your progress. :)
Thanks! Great to see more people who have actually been to Hagenbecks in real life. I would have also done this in franchise but because I am affected by the 'endless loading bug' with my 500+ hours franchise zoo, that's the way to go at the moment.

2. The Tropical Aquarium
This separate building on 4 floors with 8,000sqm is home to more than 14,000 animals, which are mainly fish, amphibians, reptile and some other ones like crocodiles, lemurs, bats and (free flying) birds. I would be very happy to recreate some of these (one of the largest in Europe) aquariums ingame in the future!
tropenaquarium-im-tierpark-hagenbeck--2-.jpg

2_Sumatra_Flusslauf.jpg

2_Tropenaquarium-Hagenbeck_Netzpython.jpg

As the intersection with the ingame animals like crocodiles, gila monster and snakes in general is very small (so far) I concentrated on creating the same tropical/ African atmosphere and recreating the areas for lemurs, crocodiles and the foodcourt as close to IRL as possible.
As I want to have a zoo ingame with visitors (hopefully) all over the zoo, I chose to have much wider paths than in reality, which unfortunately leads to minor differences in overall dimensions and deviations regarding relations (doors, habitat size etc.). But having a (hopefully) working guest flow/ pathing is more important for me than having an ingame zoo without any guests or guests getting stuck in 4m wide paths.

2.1 Entrance
2_1Tropenaquarium_aussen_01.jpg

2_2image005.jpg

2_3image004.jpg

2_4image003.jpg

If you like the colorful lockers, you can download the blueprint in the workshop here

2.2 The walkable lemur habitat

The first enclosure you get into when following the round tour of the whole building is a walkable lemur one, which is designed as a sunken/ left Madagascan city. The lemurs have many possibilities to climb. Unfortunately a keeper has to be there the whole day because visitors had been feeding the animals, which is strictly forbidden.

1579799695714.png
3_11Hamburg-Eimsbuettel.jpg

3.4image.jpg

3.3image.jpg

3.2image.jpg

If you like the lemur habitat, you can download it here

Last edited:
Top Bottom