Themed Areas/ Park Map Tool

I would like the ability to theme the areas of my park even if just by name and color...I love putting up themes in my park and enjoyed rtc 3s auto theme where rides of that theme were grouped, however, I may not want a themed ride in that area but still want to build to an overall theme...if I want to place banners and borders very much how real park maps are then I think that would be a cool experience...maybe a map tool that shows where you are on the map that also would appear like a realistic park map with drawings and renderings of rides you have in themed areas...

Have you played Cities: Skylines? I suggested this in another thread either here or on the "other games" forum, but in CS, you can paint districts or neighborhoods in your city, allowing you to name the area, set neighborhood specific tax alterations and other general stuff, like "no pets", "free public transport", "education boost", etc. What if they implemented that in PC, where you paint an area of the park or a ride to designate a theme? Within that area, you could maybe set music, so guests only hear it when they enter that space.

Last edited:

Brett C

Frontier
Have you played Cities: Skylines? I suggested this in another thread either here or on the "other games" forum, but in CS, you can paint districts or neighborhoods in your city, allowing you to name the area, set neighborhood specific tax alterations and other general stuff, like "no pets", "free public transport", "education boost", etc. What if they implemented that in PC, where you paint an area of the park or a ride to designate a theme? Within that area, you could maybe set music, so guests only hear it when they enter that space.
What's nice about Cities: Skylines of that feature is that the micromanagement of it doesn't become "a thing" until years down the road in C:S time. If you don't keep on top of it, you end up with wonky results with certain districts. Granted, you can always use addons to force/auto destroy and so forth. It's amazing on what you can control with traffic flows as well. [happy]

What's nice about Cities: Skylines of that feature is that the micromanagement of it doesn't become "a thing" until years down the road in C:S time. If you don't keep on top of it, you end up with wonky results with certain districts. Granted, you can always use addons to force/auto destroy and so forth. It's amazing on what you can control with traffic flows as well. [happy]

Yeah cities seems that game of the year where everyone's get messed up. There are good examples in cs that we could look at;)

Yeah I agree Cities Skylines was an amazing game and still is. Love to play it, it would also bring some amazing incite to PC as well! :)

I like the idea of having different themes, one being American, another fantasy, etc, then be able to micromanage each different themed area.

I'm not interessted with management in theme park games (I started maybe something like 5 missions in RCT3, big maximum, and I played hundreds of hours in the sandbox)

But, even for me, this micromanagement idea sounds cool.
It's interesting to be able to cut a park in differents "land". [up]

(However, I dont like the idea of "music by land", not because it's a bad idea, but because I prefer the idea of configurable speakers, that you can put where you want)

I'm not interessted with management in theme park games (I started maybe something like 5 missions in RCT3, big maximum, and I played hundreds of hours in the sandbox)

But, even for me, this micromanagement idea sounds cool.
It's interesting to be able to cut a park in differents "land". [up]

I was just using Cities: Skylines as an example of the area painting mechanic and an extension of the idea that theming matters within your park (so, placing Wild West theming within a painted area makes the overall area slightly more Wild West themed in the mind of your guests. The more scenery you put in the area, the more it affects it.)

(However, I dont like the idea of "music by land", not because it's a bad idea, but because I prefer the idea of configurable speakers, that you can put where you want)

I still want speakers on the paths, I just meant that instead of having to laboriously adjust the volumes on each speaker to make sure they're not playing over each other, speakers in a painted area are dominant to guests, so within that area, they can clearly hear the music you intended them to hear, even if you have another speaker playing different music just outside the painted area.

I still want speakers on the paths, I just meant that instead of having to laboriously adjust the volumes on each speaker to make sure they're not playing over each other, speakers in a painted area are dominant to guests, so within that area, they can clearly hear the music you intended them to hear, even if you have another speaker playing different music just outside the painted area.
A music played by ... god ? [big grin]

Well, if you can turn the "main land" music off, why not. If not, aoutch ... poor guests !!! Music 100% of the time [haha]

For me, it's part of the charm in a theme park, to approch a ride, and the sound becomes louder, and you leave the area where you heard nothing, and you go to another area, and you hear new music when you go near. silence is golden sometimes.

A music played by ... god ? [big grin]

Well, if you can turn the "main land" music off, why not. If not, aoutch ... poor guests !!! Music 100% of the time [haha]

For me, it's part of the charm in a theme park, to approch a ride, and the sound becomes louder, and you leave the area where you heard nothing, and you go to another area, and you hear new music when you go near. silence is golden sometimes.

I'm not explaining it right. The fading would still be there, where the music gets louder as you get closer to the speaker, but the speakers within a zoned area would be dominant in that area compared with speakers outside the zoned area. Music wouldn't just play within a zone, you'd still have to put down speakers and the volume would depend on how close you were, but it's frustrating when you can hear Entrance Plaza music in a Frontierland area, just because there are speakers near the entrance of the Frontierland area.

I'm not explaining it right. The fading would still be there, where the music gets louder as you get closer to the speaker, but the speakers within a zoned area would be dominant in that area compared with speakers outside the zoned area. Music wouldn't just play within a zone, you'd still have to put down speakers and the volume would depend on how close you were, but it's frustrating when you can hear Entrance Plaza music in a Frontierland area, just because there are speakers near the entrance of the Frontierland area.
Oh okay. I get it with you Entrance/Frontierland exemple.

This could also help with transportation rides. Paint an area as Kids Area or Marvels, etc.., and the peeps have a better idea of where they want to go.

Last edited:
I would like to see a themeing tool like Cities Skylines where you can choose a theme for that theme [woah]
So i can make a frontier theme and call it whatever i want and put whatever rides including frontier rides and people who like frontier rides will be attracted to this area (as well as the rest of the part just this area more).

This tool would absolutely control the flow of traffic. Peeps are gonna wanna go where they want. Kids to kids areas. People who want a jungle themed restaurant are gonna wanna go to that area and may just spend time there...

@RandyChimp I finally was able to play Cities: Skylines and I really think the district tool is on the right track...things that might be controlled by specific "Lands or Worlds" might be Music, Path or Banner Colors, Merchandise Type, Age Targets (Kids area, Water park) Staff, and Decorations

Perhaps a idea to add like 4-5 popular themes to the game and make a clear documentation for users to create their own extra themes. Then from Steam Workshop people could download complete mod packs that would add a whole theme to the game, or perhaps the devs would add popular custom made themes to the base game kinda like TF2 and Rust.

Would be cool if the system could cope with multiple themes. RCT3's park inspector wasn't happy when I combined the tropical theming with the pirate theming, or had dinosaurs on Mars park.

Could also create no go areas, say young children refused to go through the haunted theme section, so you had to build a transport ride or build an avoiding path to get to the other side.

Perhaps a idea to add like 4-5 popular themes to the game and make a clear documentation for users to create their own extra themes. Then from Steam Workshop people could download complete mod packs that would add a whole theme to the game, or perhaps the devs would add popular custom made themes to the base game kinda like TF2 and Rust.

This would be really nice to have!

Yes, the "let players do it" strategy is the best ! [up]

Top Bottom